HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
yanyan

Primerose oil and her2+

There have been research that evening primerose oil helps to fight her2 breast cancer and its use with herceptin makes the treatment more effective. The question is, since it is rich in omega 6, according to Dr. Shrieb's cancer book, omega 6 causes inflammation. How should we justify the use of primerose oil? Thanks
BMX with immediate recontruction 5/2011 Lattismus Flap- Dx stage 3c 10/23 nodes
9/11 Radiation
3/12 Local recurrence to skin stage IV
Whole body scan CLEAR
4/12 Tykerb & Xeolda Skin mets slowly regressing
8/12 PET & Brain CT Clear
5/13 Skin mets progressing
6/13 PET scan chestwall recurrence in contralateral anxillary,internal mammary and ipsilateral subpectoral nodes
6/13 kadcyla
10/13 whole body scan -clear NED. previously resolved skin rash gone but 3 new lesions. Biopsy confirmed for skin recurrence
11/13 to 02/14 tykerb & herceptin
02/14 add abraxane/gemzar, 2 weeks on 1 week off at reduced dose
05/14 whole body PET clear/ brain CT clear but skin mets are getting worse, ready for new chemo
05/14 navelbine perjeta herceptin
07/14 skin mets progressing red rash worse
08/14 wide local excision with diep flap to close wound. Final path shows 2 positive margins showing inflammatory carcinoma Going back to surgery in 2 weeks
09/01/14 resection- clear margins
3 weeks after 2nd surgery, a new nodular rash found near drain incision with 2 small red spots behind the chest wall biopsy on 10/1. Positive for breast cancer
Radiation 11/2014 with xeloda then weekly cisplatin
11/14 brain MRI clean
12/14 finished 33 radiations burnt and very painful. Bedridden for 1 week
12/14 t current Herceptin and perjeta only
02/15 rash on upper back right side skin mets radiation planned
02/15 staring electron radiation *35
Stopped at 30 due to severe skin burn, resumed 10 days later
05/15 red patches appeared in between previously radiated area, skin mets. Ct and brain Mri clear. Simulation planned, radiation to start after trip to Alaska.
05/24 new spot identified in scar line on previously radiated reconstructed breast- electron on both side chest wall area and scar line
07/15 multiple skin and lung recurrence begin halaven
11/15 cough much better but very tired on halaven and starting to see some new red skin blotches-suspicious
11/15 heading to China for immune therapy
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Primerose oil and her2+

When I search on it, not coming up with much on pubmed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...reast%20cancer

I seem to remember looking at this a while back and found it to have estrogenic properties...perhaps explaining investigations into it helping with hot flashes. But..considering growing suggestion Her2 and ER receptor may take turns driving even ER-/her2 + BC, it seems (to me) at minimum a tough call as to whether primrose oil will help or hurt at any given point.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
anna4969

Re: Primerose oil and her2+

Rich and Yan/Yan,

I am very interested in this topic as well. I have been taking primrose oil, one a night, while being on Herceptin. I did not use it for my first year of Herceptin, but once I began my second year of Herceptin, I started to take it hoping it would amplify the effects of Herceptin. I have seen very little on it other than one article from several years ago. And I think it was used in mice only. If either one of you should come across more information on it, I would love to hear about it.

Be well and Happy.
anna4969 is offline   Reply With Quote