HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
*_celina_*

Just thought I'd share an update:
My sister has been on the drugs for less than 2 weeks and nausea, vomitting and loss of appetite have been quite severe. Monday morning she called the nurse at Dana Farber and was told that she may have a blockage and to stop the drugs.
This morning she flew to Boston for her scheduled visit. They good news is that she does NOT have a blockage...side effects that she is experiencing are not that uncommon....they feel that her body will eventually adjust...and the best news is that in just one week of being on the drugs there has been a "remarkable" improvement in her liver! (We can only optimistically imagine what it is doing for her brain mets!)
She is taking a short 24-48 hour break to increase her potassium levels and to allow her digestive system to return to normal and then she will return to the full orgininal dosage. So now we keep our fingers crossed that her body won't continue to reject this drug. After two weeks if symtoms continue, they will reduce the dose. If appetite doesn't improve on her own, they can provide something to help.
Happy healing to everyone,
Celina
Old 07-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
StephN

Dear Celina -
I sure think about your sister Carole and the fight she is putting up.
Hope she will soon get back on track with this new treatment!
Thanks for letting us know about the ups and downs as lapatinib is SO new we are all watching and waiting to see how the early patients do.

Fortunate that there was nothing serious with her this time and she can resume.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote