HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
*_Cathy_*

Hi to All! Did anyone catch the Dr. Phil show yesterday? I only saw a part of it, but he had this guy on that had bone cancer 18 years ago and now is cancer free! The "Make a Wish Foundation" asked him years ago what he most wished for. He wanted to meet this famous musician(forget his name) Anyway, the famous musician was honored and he said that what started out as a one hour meeting, turned into a new career for the sick man. The sick guy always wanted to write songs and sing them and he went on to have about 5 number one songs.He said that Music saved his life. I think that when we really know we have something to live for- our cells and our whole body act differently.I was depressed a few weeks ago and kept feeling sorry for myself. I was lying around a lot, forgetting that I have lots of things I want to do yet. This week, I am not thinking about my illness much at all and I'm just doing what needs to be done. I think it's miraculous that my mind has been kept off of myself and onto others.AS a former music teacher, I can also attest to the great and healing power of Music. It is one of God's greatest gifts to us.So, I beleive strong faith, positive thinking and finding your great loves and gifts to enjoy and share with others can spiral us into a completely new way of thinking and Living. God Bless You All, ?Cathy
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
*_TriciaK_*

Amen to all you've said, Cathy! I know the things you mentioned are a great part of what has kept me going for 20 years of fighting cancer! This website helps all of us, too. Love, Tricia
Old 07-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Margaret

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for bringing up this topic. I think back at the time before I had breast cancer and I realize how depressed I was. I remember resigning myself to just being a facilitator for other people to live their lives. For instance, I just would do what my kids and my husband needed to have done so they could live their lives. I had no consideration for my own life and my own needs. I would just struggle to get through every day.
Now everyday I wake up, I am sooooo grateful. I see now the flowers and hear the birds. I don't try to do everything for everyone else. I realize I have a responsibility to make my life happy, fulfilled and productive. I think life is movement at the most basic level. Every cell needs to be able to freely move and stay healthy. While I was depressed, I shut down a big part of myself and just crawled inward and did not move enough. Now when ever I'm starting to feel down and depressed I don't let myself stay there long. I get up and move. I just do something different. Anything that changes the energy and keeps me moving inside and out. Sometimes it's challenging, but I know I'm much healthier now and I now I'm enjoying my life a whole lot more and I'm not afraid to just keep moving. So thanks again for bringing up this subject. It's really important for me to remember each and every day to enjoy my life!
Thanks,
Margaret
Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Lisa

Attitude is SO important, but not necessarily in "saving" or healing you. Rather, in the way we choose to live our lives now, however long that may be. And I do believe it CAN help us live longer. So CAN chemo and so CAN Herceptin. But not for everyone. It's all part of the puzzle, and no two women follow the exact same path.

I say this since many of us know of brave women with wonderful attitudes who have still succumbed to bc. I honor them and I honor those of you who get out of bed each day and live full lives filled with treatment, family, work, and play. There's nothing easy about it.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 AM   #5
*_Cathy_*

Dear Lisa,
The missing puzzle piece is in God's possession. He alone knows the day and time when He calls each of us home. Because this is His world and not ours, He is in complete control. God is a mystery and so is life. Maybe someday He'll tell us some things that we don't understand right now.In the meantime, I beleive we should live joyfully, peacefully, and lovingly, helping others and taking care of ourselves as much as possible.You are right. A positive attitude alone cannot heal us or save us. Only God can do that. Whether he chooses to do it with chemo, radiation, healing service,our positive attitude, etc. etc. My faith teaches me to know, love and serve God in this world so I can be happy with Him in the next. Whatever time He has given me here, I intend to use every second to the best of my ability using the gifts and blessings I have been given, sharing with every soul I meet and living for Him, and when my work is done here , I hope to someday reach my Heavenly destination. God Bless You- Cathy