HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
*_Cathy_*

Hi-Five years ago I had my left breast removed.There were 17 out of 20 cancerous lymphnodes.After chemo and arimedex I was fine for five years. I recently had a petscan and it showed 3 small nodes on my lung (5mm) and also a small area between my lungs and under my arm. My doctor put me on herceptin and is adding xeloda. I went for a second opinion and the doctor asked if my doctor had done a biopsy this time. He hasn't. The new doctor said that we have to know what we're dealing with. Maybe it isn't her2 positive anymore, maybe it isn't breast cancer anymore. Perhaps it's lymphoma or lung cancer. In which case, the herceptin wouldn't be helping at all. My original doctor said he wouldn't want me to have a biopsy because the location would be too hard to get to because it's behind my lung.So his idea was to give me the herceptin and xeloda and test me in 6 weeks to see if I needed taxotere or something stronger. The new guy wants me to see the thoracic surgeon Monday and schedule a biopsy to see what kind of cancer it is.I'm confused about what to do. The new guy thinks I should have had radiation 5 years ago too, which I didn't.What do you think? Are some areas too dangerous to biopsy and what is your opinion about what doctor is right? Thanks so much! I really value your opinions!God Bless you all! Cathy
Old 06-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #2
Sheila

Cathy
First of all you cannot look back...anyone can say you should have done this or that.....you do whats best at the time...treatments are changing daily....you just look for today and fight today and for the future. As far as the biopsy, depends on the location, but you always run the risk of collasping a lung when you biopsy it....what about a CT scan or chest xray of the lung windows? It could give them more clarity....from the sounds of it, I would try the Herceptin and Xeloda and see the response before I got alarmed...it is probably the BC rearing its ugly head again and these drugs should nip it in the bud.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs
Sheila
Old 06-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Kaye

Cathy, I am sorry that you are dealing with this and for the confusion. Cancer treatment is both an art and a science. There is no 'one' right way to treat. Each procedure has a risk. here are basic standard protocols that are recommended but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily 'right' for each person.
It is hard to know whose advice to follow and which will be 'right' for us. Unfortunately, there are still too many unknowns.
Although you might get a different recommendation with each '2nd' opinion you might feel com more comfortable if you got another one and/or discussed the different options recommended with the different dr's and have them explain their rationale for the treatment they recommended and their opinion about the other dr's.
My best thoughts are with you and hope for the best possible of all outcomes with whatever you decide. {{{Hugs}}}
Old 06-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
rosie

Cathy

It's really hard when you see several people and they all tell you something different. When that happens I think it means that there is no right or wrong answer. I don't think it is unreasonable to see the thoracic doctor on Monday then you can ask how hard it would be to get to. I would think the 5 mm stuff and the stuff between the lungs would be very tough to get. What about your markers? Have they gone up?

With the large amount of positive lymph nodes, I think the odds are that it is the breast cancer and only you can decide if you want to have the risks associated with a biopsy to prove it.

It's a tough decision and I think I would opt for the chemo than the risk of surgery. As for the comment you should have had radiation 5 years ago....yes that would be true for the large amount of lymph nodes but heck I had rads and it didn't do me any good anyway. So I wouldn't waste your time wondering what if. You just never know.

Good luck in your decision. I know it must be nail biting time.

Rosie