HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
*_Cathy_*

Hi! I am taking herceptin and xeloda and my arms and hands are breaking out in red itchy blotches. Do you think this is an allergic reaction? Has anyone had this and if so, what did you put on it? God Bless You All- Cathy
Old 07-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
jojo

Hi Cathy,

I am not the person to answer, since I have never taken Xeloda; however, the HFS is a very common side effect of Xeloda, so it sounds like to me that you may have the HFS (hand / foot syndrome). The syndrome breaks out in skin peels, blisters, skin dryness typically in hands & feet, and red blothes maybe???...

I do take Herceptin (for 1 1/2 years now), so I doubt it is an side effect from Herceptin, though.

Ladies will be shooting off their answers your way very soon, I am sure! Have a good & happy month of July.

Blessings ~ JO.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
*_Madubois63_*

I get all pink and patchy for a day after Herceptin. Although I do not believe it's the herceptin. I think it's one of the pre-meds they give me. Ask your oncology nurse for a list of everything they give you and tell her about the blotchy patches.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
Lisa

After months of taking Herceptin and Taxol, my chest broke out with horribly itchy, rashy bumps. Visits to the onc and the dermatologist were to no avail. They lasted weeks and were miserable. I tried a couple of different topical ointments, including one with steroids which worked the best. Finally the rashes went away, but I still occasionally get itchy and I take a Rx antihistamine.

No clue what this was.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 07-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
lindaw

Dear Cathy
i took this combo for 6 rounds and had red blotches on my hands and arms for most of the time.It was winter so not too bad,
My face also went red and peeled and then my skin was lovely.
I never put anything on my skin except for sorbolene and the cow - udder cream on feet and palms
love
Linda
Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Lyn

Hi Cathy, I am surprised you onc didn't want to try another premed, antihistamine, just about everyone has an antihistamine premed with intravenous chemo for that very reason. I use to take Telfast with Taxol, don't know if I needed it or not but a precausion anyway and it didn't make me drowsy like some of the others. I also had Xeloda but I thought mine was too high at 3000mg a day, I had hand and foot syndrome and it was decreased not stopped. Xeldoa is 5FU in tablet form, what are you having treatment for.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Old 07-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
al from canada

Dear Cathy,
Aren't you also taking Xeloda because if you are, then that is probably the culprit.
Al
Old 07-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #8
*_Cathy_*

My petscan showed a spot between my lungs and three 5mm spots on my lungs-also something by my collar bone and I think that is why the side of my neck is swollen. It may be lymphedema though since my whole arm is swollen. I didn't have any premeds while getting the herceptin or xeloda. Maybe I should have taken benadryl? I am going to show my doctor Al's post about reducing it. Otherwise, I don't know what he has planned for me. All he said is, "What more can I say?" I hope he has a plan for me. God Bless, Cathy
Old 07-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #9
al from canada

Dear Cathy,

If your Onc digs-in his heals, find a new one and get a second opinion. The unfortunate thing is that many of us are probably more well-read than some of the oncs because they are so damn busy. That being said, you shouldn't let that jepordize your life!

Good luck,
Al