HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
*_Cynthia_*

Ladies,

I am scheduled to have a laparoscopic oophorectomy next week. I am 45 and was thrown into menopause by chemo, only to have my period return several months ago. I am Her2 +++ and strongly ER+/PR+ so I received two rounds of Zoladex in order that I many continue on Arimidex. I decided that I prefer finality and just want my ovaries out, hence the surgery. My question is this: how long was your recovery period? I had a bilateral mastectomy and several reconstructive surgeries over the past year and a half, all of which kept me from lifting my baby (now a big toddler) for a while. I want the surgery but would really appreciate hearing from those who have been through it to get a better sense of what is in store so that I can best prepare for how long I may need to have help with my little one.

Thanks so much. You are all such wonderful inspirations.

Cynthia

P.S. I am a veteran of the Walter Reed/Windber vaccine trial (4 pos. nodes). So far so good. I would be happy to communicate with anyone going through the vaccine trial process.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #2
custer2978

It should be a 45 minute procedure and much easier than the other surguries. There are a few women who do it on Friday and return to work on Monday. I personally would want a week off to recover. Please remember that the naturally healing process can take up to 3-4 weeks, depending on your current level of health now. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
SusanAnne

Cynthia,

I am seeing my GYN on Thursday to set up an oophorectomy for the same reasons. I had TRAM flap reconstruction so they will have to work around the mesh left behind in my abdomen. What type of reconstruction have you had?

Susan