HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Chelee

Follicle Stimulating Hormone?

My oncologist said my follicle stimulating hormone results was good. (I was sitting there thinking, WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?) I have never heard of it? So I asked her and she said "Don't worry about it...your FSH is at 22 and the follicle hormone was at 77.29 which is GOOD she said. (I hope so?)

She won't tell me what anything means because she doesn't have time. So can anyone tell me what part this *follicle stimulating hormone* number has on anything? I haven't a clue. Never heard of it before she mentioned it.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:45 AM   #2
Lani

lab tests for FSH and LH are looking to see if you are in menopause

a woman's body is like a symphony orchestra with the strings section answering the percussion section which answers the horns, etc.

There are a lot of messages passed on by hormones and a lot of feedback mechanisms (eg. you guys are too loud, muffle it! or not loud enough, play louder!)

The hypothalmus signals the pituitary (and viceversa ie, feedback) which signals the ovary to ovulate which leaves an empty follicle (bed where the egg developed from) which secretes a hormone which feedsback to the hypothalmus and pituitary.

The hormones made by the ovary include estrogen and progesterone (the latter by the follicle and therefore during the second half of the menstrual cycle) this is in response to stimulation from the hypothalamus-pituitary axis
which control secretion of FSH ,follicle stimulating hormone (which does just that, stimulates the formation of follicle which will secrete progesterone), and LH (luteinizing hormone) which stimulates formation of a corpus luteum (the stage after the follicle lets the egg rupture out)

the hypothalamus secretes LHRH , luteinizing hormone releasing hormone, which (of all things) stimulates the release of LH by the pituitary which as I said before causes the corpus luteum to release progesterone.

All this happens with cyclical regularity between puberty and menopause to cause normal cycling ovulation and menstruation. After menopause, the ovary does not make estrogen so the hypothalamus and pituitary, missing that feedback, put out more and more FSH and LH (and in the case of the hypothalamus LHRH and GHRH) trying to get the ovary to make more hormones. So a high and unwavering level of stimulating hormones implies that you are in menopause. If it wavered it could mean that you were still cycling as these stimulating hormone levels normally go up and down to stimulate various portions of the cycle.

If one does not have menopause naturally or secondary to chemo or an oophorectomy (ovary removal) to ensure no Estrogen is made in order to be able to take an AI for an ER+ breast cancer, LHRH/GH RH shots containing luteinizing releasing hormone and gonadotropinhormone-releasing hormone (which are usually made and secreted by the hypothalamus) are given to be sure the pituitary does not produce LH or FSH to stimulate the ovary to go through its normal cycling and hormone production (estrogen and progesterone)

I hope I got the above right because it is in the wee hours of the night and I woke up and tried to help.

There is nothing I tried to explain above that could not be found by looking at Google or Wikipedia.They will explain it better than I (and more accurately as I am exhausted) and hopefully with pictures. There may even be a link on this website for such info.

I REALLY do feel if you tried to look things up yourself you would feel more empowered and in someway in control of your situation and less panicky.
What you are asking for is not in Swahili or ancient Greek and undecipherable. Many on this board who didn't have a scientific education or nursing school or perhaps even high school biology have been able to
get this information

I have helped a lot of people with cancer get information and found that those who either kept their own records in great detail or got a lot of information and tried to educate themselves to understand it, felt much calmer and able to participate in decision-making. This was generally better accepted by their oncologists, even when their decisions went against what the oncologist might have been recommending and this in general made the oncologists do their homework and be more thoughtful
when dealing with the patient.

If your doctors are not explaining things to you you should fight back by showing that you have been looking things up and have a background to understand their explanations.

Your local cancer society or breast cancer group may have lectures or booklets to help, or your local public librarian may be able to help you as well if you don't like to look things up on the web.

I don't think it could hurt to try.

Think of Joe, who founded this board with his wife Christine. He obviously did not start out knowing everything about her2neu breast cancer and did not come with education from a related field from what I understand. He was self-taught in these matters as are most of the women on this board. Reading about a disease you have and how your body works (or doesn't) is scary. One cannot always do it (there are many emotional phases to go through and each does that differently) and some have to get to a certain point and a certain emotional distance to be able to do it. But I have never found a person for whom it was NOT helpful.

Now I have helped perhaps 2 dozen, certainly not hundreds and everyone is different. I also have picked who I helped in this manner, I probably gave up on those who were not receptive.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but knowledge you have sought out yourself will be all that much more valuable to you.

If someone cannot explain it to someone without a scientific background, it means they do not understand it well themselves(I think Einstein said something to that effect and I have found it to be true).

It is not rocket science and a calm engagement in trying to understand should take you "miles" I have faith that the enormous energy you spend worrying, if applied to trying to understand your situation, will help you alter your situation or at least be more at peace with it.

Try to use this in a positive manner, as that is TRULY how it is meant!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Yorkiegirl

Lani I totally agree with your statements below. I have alwways looked things up myself. BUT then I do also have knowledge of medical terms since I am a Veterinary Tech.

>>I REALLY do feel if you tried to look things up yourself you would feel more empowered and in someway in control of your situation and less panicky.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but knowledge you have sought out yourself will be all that much more valuable to you.

Try to use this in a positive manner, as that is TRULY how it is meant<<<<
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
tousled1

Lani,

I agree with you! I know that after I read abut the HER2 Serum Test here on the board, I researched everything I could on the subject. I went to my oncologist Thursday and asked for the test. No one seemed to know what I was talking about - although the oncologist did say that when she was in medical school there was research being done on it. I was able to inform them that it was approved by the FDA, and I handed them detailed information on the test, etc. The onc nurse then drew my blood for the HER2 serum test. Knowledge is power.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
MCS

Chelee,

I know how it is. sometime you try to look on your own or you're so overwhelmed with news that you need to review again on your own to understand.

There has been many times that I need to call back, wait for next appointment or do research here or other sources to get info.

With that said, this site can provide you with lots on onformation. these questions I have even asked here myself. I myself have caught in this position that all i really needed is a guiding light to get me searching and i do the rest myself

There's a thread from 4/29 and 4/30 on the information of FSH on this wev site. Lani answered that one. and I think a little more clear than this one of hers.. hope this helps. If you can't find it write me an email with your address and will send a hard copy to you gladly. I print items of interest and keep it in a folder at home for reference. Let me know if I can help.

Lani, to you. We are lucky to have you that are so well informed. An you are lucky to be able to be knowledgeable about searching sites. But if you were tired and appears to have had a long day and night, leave it, someone else will answer. At one point in your answer, it was too angry and you know, not a single one of us can handle anger any more or fell remoseful for having asked anything, even stupid, repeat questions. Don't take it bad, really. Just as when you work, you should never send an email before saving and reading to make sure the political tone is correct, you should have done that here. I myself rely on your informed medical information, just like I mentioned before and above.

I, myself, would like to take the test but so far I have been told no. In Lani/s response on 4/30/06, she indicates that is standard to be tested if you have invasive breast cancer. I wish for all of us that it would be standard for all. Why can't we be allowed to be more proactive with our own health, I don't know.

Anyway, peace to all and a quite and pleasing Labor day weekend.

XOXO

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
CLTann

Lani,

I applaud your statement and admire your sincerity trying to be helpful. We need more people like you here.

Ann
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
Peggy

Thank you Lani

Lani,

Thank you for your help and sincerity.

Peggy
Mastectomy, Rads x33 Herceptin X 9
3 Years NED!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
Chelee

Lani, I spend hours & days online looking up things. I am glad things come so easy for you. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I am sorry to all of you. If you wanted to hurt me, you did.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
tousled1

Chelee,

I'm sure no one wanted to hurt you. Having breast cancer is a tough thing to go through. So much information out there and yet at the same time not enough. Some information is easy for some to understand and hard for others. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking your questions.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
Old 09-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
Hopeful

Chelee,

Just a suggestion, have you tried using the "search" feature on these forums? I have found it invaluable - much better than searching on the internet as a whole. You may find that your question has been asked here and answered.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Kimberly Lewis

I am sorry that more of you did not see the - hopefully unintended - condescending tone of this response by Lani. I was shocked that so many jumped in to applaud her response. I understand what she was saying but it sure could have been done in a much nicer way. She sounds like the Dr.'s + nurses I have dealt with who get all pissy when I am a little emotional. Why can't we be allowed to be open about being confused by the overwhelming amount of information we have to suddenly be "on top of"... I have read till my eyes are ready to drop out, I am not stupid, and neither is Chelee - but her questions have helped me!!! It is almost as stressfull having to be your own advocate as it is having cancer. I think that we should be able to find some understanding from sisters this site!!! If you don't have the patience to be kind at least keep it to yourself. Maybe you will be the one who needs it next time....
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #12
Becky

Dear Kimberly

I agree with you 100% and I sent a private note yesterday to Chelee. We are all here to help each other. I personally feel that my contribution is to help everyone understand some of the biologics/science around alot of this stuff since I have an MS in Biochemistry but I have always tried to be helpful. When I first got cancer, I searched and searched all the time. Now, I am not so anxious because of this website and all the wonderful people here. Many post things I would never have the time to find and TOGETHER we accomplish far, far more than we would alone. We are all here to help and support one another. Not all of us are so lucky to have a great personal support team be it friends, family or medical team. Like Chelee, I too switched doctors but my second doctor is a gem whereas she too switched to another loser.

We cannot pick and choose here on this board. We are all in this together as sisters (and brothers). That said, I used to fight with mine (while growing up) alot but in the end, we have our best interests at heart. Somehow, we have found this board, this wonderful and unique board of information and support.

If we can't always have everyone's best interest at heart, that's a real shame. So, I stand with you Kimberly. I only privately responded to Chelee but now I will publicly respond that I didn't like the response she got and until bc is cured for everyone, until everyone gets the information they need (and have it explained in a way they understand) so they can get appropriate treatment to be cured, bc will not be cured.

I am sorry I did not respond this way yesterday.

Sincerely

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
R.B.

Lets not criticise Lani.

Lani has posted a huge amount to this board and behind each of those posts there are surely many articels read and not posted, time expended and thought, with little asked in return.

It is important for their own benifit that people educate themselves as best they can taking into account how they are feeling life pressures, chemo brain etc. which is different for all.

Lani as somebody who evidently cares a lot to post so much, was possibly reacting to something else as we all do, and maybe was just feeling over demanded of becuse of something else that was going on, and reacted. We have all done it.

I positive Lani is capable of feeling bad enough without any help for a moments reaction born of many emotions, that had at its core a valid and well meant point that self education is very important.

Lani you have contributed a tremondous amount to the board. I hope you do not go away but keep posting .

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #14
tousled1

I don't think anyone on this board intentionaly tries to hurt someone else. Remember, we are all dealing with this dreadful disease and are here to offer each other information and support. Yes, sometimes things are said that seem or are hurtful but let's not get hung up on these posts. We should all be able to say what's on our mind without being blasted for it. There was another fairly recent post that someone got hurt by. We are all in this together! This is a dreadful disease and I must admit that sometimes I just want to yell and scream at someone, anyone, and everyone who frustrates me. Let's get back to what this website was meant to be.
14 of 26 nodes positive
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Old 09-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #15
Bev

We love you both, Lani for your brillant studied commentary and Chelee for your pure energy. Hang in there guys, remember who the enemy really is. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:14 AM   #16
chrislmelb

Well said BB.............

Everyone needs to chill a bit.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
lu ann

I agree with chillin. With all the stress we get from day to day living with this disease, the last thing we need to do is lash out at each other. For some of us, this board is the only support we have. Maybe it's time for Joe to step in put a halt to any further damage. Blessings to All from Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #18
al from Canada

Stress can do strange things to us, let's just right it off as that.........life is too short anyways.

al