HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
NEDenise

Unhappy Hospital AGAIN! But you'll never guess why!

So...a "funny" thing happened on the way to the bathroom on Monday morning...

Okay...so it wasn't funny, but I'm no Mel Brooks...so I'll just cut to the chase and tell it my way!

Remember just before Christmas, and my family's trip to Florida...I hurt my back? Well...three weeks after that treatment and recovery...the act of standing up and walking from my bed to the bathroom...completely blew out one of the disks in my spine. OOOOUUUCCCHHHH!

I've given birth twice, struggled with migraines and endometriosis for 30 years, I've shattered my wrist...had it rebuilt, had a double mastectomy and reconstruction - that had to be repaired twice...and the list goes on. But I can assure you that I have never ever had pain like the pain I've suffered through since Monday. It's a searing, burning pain that goes across my left hip, and down the front of my thigh. It is unrelenting, and no amount of morphine, oxycontin, steroids, or prayer seem to have an effect that lasts more than about 90 minutes.

I was hoping for more epidural injections and then I'd go my merry way. Uh-Uh. This time they say surgery is the only relief I'm going to get.

Can you believe the %*$#(* luck I have?!!

And the worst part is...since I just went back to work in September...as of Monday, all my sick days will be used up. My HR director is Satan's spawn...and has denied me leave without pay to get my remaining H infusions during the rest of the year. I may have to go out on long term disability again ( for which I receive 66% pay...but 0% for the first 90 days - yes, that's right that means no pay for me until next September!) because I need 4 half days of leave. She also made it quite clear that under the Family/Medical leave act, you must have worked 12 consecutive months to qualify...and I've only worked 7 since returning,

What a &^%%$! She sent me an email - remember, she knows I'm laying in a hospital bed - her email stated how many leave days I have left, and reminded me that she has not yet received my doctor's note. No mention of my pain or illness. No kind regards or get well wishes. Again, I say, what a &^$$%!

Too drugged up to think it all through clearly - ME, NOT her - so like Scarlett O'Hara - I'll think about that tomorrow.

Please pray for some pain relief. Please pray for some better way to solve my need for leave. Please pray I don't "go postal" because of the pain and the frustration combined.

On a happy note...all the docs and staff have been great! What a blessing!
Hugs to all! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Hospital AGAIN! But you'll never guess why!

OH DEAR! I am hurting all over again! You must have blown out L-3/L4 with the pain you describe. Exactly like I had last Labor Day. Left hip and across the front of your thigh - yep, just the same. It will start traveling down your shin.

If the MRI does not show things clearly ask for a CT MYELOGRAM. Maybe get one anyway just to make sure nothing is missed. That was how my broken off pieces of disk was seen clearly.

So, left lateral microdiskectomy for you, eh? The surgery was the easy part. I barely had any pain from it.

Take the disability because if your leg is like mine you will need a long rehab period.

I really do feel for you, dear friend!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
BonnieR

Well, crap on a crap stick! Which I learned to say on this very board! You don't deserve any of this and you especially don't deserve the compassionate soul in HR. I thought they were supposed to be on your side! But you will prevail because you always do and your sense of humor will get you through because it always does. Keep the faith and take lots of pain meds!!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Bunty

Oh Denise - sending you big hugs - poor you! I know it's not nice, but I would like to something quite unpleasant to your HR director. What I know from all my time in the workforce, there is such a thing as karma!

Really hope you get some pain relief soon, and that you'll fix that darn back of yours very soon.

Best wishes, Marie x
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Ellie F

Oh Denise, so sorry to hear this news and more c**p for you. Just wanted to say that I totally understand the HR issue. I left my job because of the victimisation and appalling treatment at the hands of an organisation with rigid and oppressive HR managers.the word compassion or extenuating circumstances is sadly lacking in their vocabulary.
Hope you soon get some relief from the pain.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Joanne S

Denise! Denise! Denise! Geeez! Yee-aaah-aw-ouch!
I really think you should write a book!
I'm so very sorry to hear of your back pain and now needing surgery. I know THAT pain. I experienced similar pain last year in my hip, with it going down the front of my thigh and then intensifying under my knee cap. THAT Pain was just totally unbearable---yes, worse than natural childbirth---I was outta my mind. Many pain meds, muscle relaxers, ice/heat, and manipulative osteopathic therapy. I was fortunate I didn't need surgery. But you, omg, my heart goes out to you. And as far as work, #$%#^& that bee-otch!!! When you are able, read up on FML---don't take her word for it. Please keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Best to you on your surgery and pain relief. Big gentle non-hurting hug, Joanne
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
LeahM

Oh Good Grief! What a pain in the a$$, or back...or thigh...
So sorry to hear this Denise, I am glad to know you are in good hands. Please keep us posted and remember that I come from a long line of Italians...if you need a little "job" done, let me know.
Gentle Hugs
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
ammebarb

Oh Denise, I am so sorry! Having to worry about leave time just when you are in such pain is absolutely awful. Well, first things first.....Hope you can soon have the surgery that will relieve your pain and fix your back. Does your school not have a "sick bank" (where teachers donate a sick day or two a year and are then part of the group who is "covered" if someone needs more than the usual? You are in my prayers, dear girl.

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Becky

Can some of your colleagues donate their sick days to you? It is sometimes done elsewhere. Just thinking out loud here.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
Redwolf8812

Shoot, Denise. Praying things get better soon.

What is it with HR employees? I hear the same thing about them all the time.

- Penny
...but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Penny

July 2010 IDC grade 3 stage 3 er-/pr-/her2+++, BRCA2
Skin mets 11/10
1/12/11 Surgery path - complete response
Rads 2/11-4/11
Liver mets 11/11 now stage IV
Xeloda & Tykerb 12/11
Allergic reaction to Tykerb 12/11
Xeloda only 12/11
Added herceptin January 2012
Progression February 2012.
Started Veliparib (parp inhibitor) trial 3/5/12.
4/30/12 Liver met shrunk in half! Praise Jesus!
6/18/12 another 25% shrinkage, down to @3x3. Thank you, God!
8/8/12 Brain MRI - clear! Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
8/27/12 Thank You, God - another 20% decrease in liver met! Now @ 3.2x1.9.
10/5/12 stable-ish
11/21/12 allergic reaction to carboplatin
12/10/12 stable & progression
12/31/12 liver ablation
2/6/13 ablation successful but new tiny mets in liver. May or not be cancer.
Another ablation scheduled 2/28/13. Cancelled.
2/20/13 started taxotere & herceptin. Pretty toxic. Oncologist says start tdm1 4/3/13. From her lips to God's ears. Praying for no allergic reactions/adverse side effects.
3/28/13 increase in liver mets - number & size
4/3/13 started TDM1
6/25/13 Praise God! Scan shows only one viable lesion and it's smaller.
10/8/13 MRI shows 1 large and two small tumors.
10/11/13 Ablation of tumors. It's in God's Hands.
10/23/13 Jesus and TDM1
12/19/13 Started trial of palbociclib & herceptin after scan showed growth of liver tumor and a questionable spot on rib.
2/6/14 CT scan - previous suspicious spot on rib probably damage from radiation - Praise God! MRI - over 200% growth in cancer in liver.
2/19/14 started Navelbine, Perjeta, & Herceptin combo.
5/2-5/4/14 hospitalized with very high liver function numbers, plus skin and eyes are yellow, plus urine is orange. Feel ok, so doctor not sure if liver failing due to cancer, chemo, or infection. Hospital gets numbers to go down and sends me home. MRI done in hospital reveals cancer shrinking - praise God!
5/6/14 - 5/8/14 hospitalized with no white blood cell count. Released when they go back up, @ 6 days after doctor gave me a neulasta shot.
5/16/14 - informed blood cultures done in hospital are back and that I contracted hepatitis e. Have to take ribavirin (anti-hep med) until liver function numbers are back to "normal" before re-starting chemo. Will probably go on veliparib and temodar this time.
5/26/14 - my birthday - GI doctor informed me that the hepatitis e was completely gone - I didn't even need the anti-viral meds! This is a miracle from God!
5/28/14 - started veliparib and temodar (compassionate use)
8/18/14 MRI shows 90% growth in liver tumors
8/20/14 start Perjeta, Herceptin, & Navelbine. Thanking & giving Glory to God for each moment.
9/22/14 - 9/24/14 Hospitalized with 102.2 fever and neutropenia
11/13/14 ER for high fever and fast heart rate. Got both down with IV antibiotic and fluids. Sent home same night. Thank You, Lord!
12/2/14 MRI shows progression in liver. Grateful to God that I still feel good.
12/11/14 Simulated SIR-spheres. Successful. Real thing (1st lobe) scheduled for the 23rd. Also starting Xeloda on 22nd for 2 weeks because it's synergistic with the spheres.
12/23/14 SIR-spheres in left lobe of liver. On Xeloda 12/22/14 - 1/4/15.
1/7/15 Receiving Perjeta & Herceptin while awaiting next course of action.
2/9/15 SIR-spheres in right lobe of liver. On Xeloda for 2 weeks (started 2/8). Still on Perjeta & Herceptin. Don't know what's next for me. :-)
3/25/15 Final read on MRI report - there are new and multiple lesions in both lobes of liver. Sigh. Praise God I've made it this far!
4/1/15 Started Gemzar & Herceptin. 1st week G&H, 2nd week G only, 3rd week off. Thank You, Lord, for this option.
4/15/15 Labcorp - liver enzymes in 200's. Appointment 4/22 with oncologist to discuss. Also, "radiation recall" in previously treated area? Very itchy. Need to discuss.
4/22/15 Enzymes came down. Received reduced dose of Gemzar only. No herceptin. Will get labs at lapcorp next two weeks since taking break for vacation purposes. Treat radiation area.
5/9/15 ER for severe abdominal pain. Constipation. Sent home with meds and advice to follow up with oncologist regarding jaundice and bilirubin.
5/11/15 Hospitalized for rising bilirubin and jaundice. CT scan reveals larger and more constricting tumors in liver.
5/13/15 Met with my oncologist. Bilirubin came down. If still down by Monday, I'll get chemo. If not, than I guess I'll see you all in Heaven. Praise God. Please pray, pray, pray.
5/18/15 Bilirubin jumped up. Trying lowered dose of Ixempra, with Herceptin. Oncologist is surprised that I'm functioning so well, given the high bilirubin. I have anywhere from 2 weeks - 2 months to live.
Redwolf8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
sarah

Horrible to have to think about so many problems at once. Hopefully Becky's suggestion can work. if not, can you go above this person? to the boss? Sounds like you need to work somewhere else but then there's the medical transfer to think about.
take care, get well, the work thing will work out.
take care
hugs
sarah
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
IrvineFriend

So sorry Denise. I don't know who you work for or what your relationship is with your boss, but I arrange everything directly with my boss. If it's something that is going to be obvious, like weeks off to recover from surgery, we involve HR. Otherwise, I work a few hours extra some days to make up for my infusion times. He also allows me to do some work from home, but I'm fortunate that is the nature of my job. Since she's Satan's spawn, perhaps your supervisor is also aware of that. And like some of the other ladies have posted, some companies allow other employees to "donate" some of their sick time or vacation time to help another employee that has a chronic illness and is going in the red.

Sorry to hear of your pain. Pain is truly exhausting so hope you can get some rest. Prayers and good thoughts being sent from Southern CA.

-Julie

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
NEDenise

Friends,
I'm a public school teacher. My contract generously allows me 100 additional sick days when I have an extended illness - that way the 90 waiting period is not actually without pay. Unfortunately the contract stipulates that I can only use that benefit once every 2 calendar years. This takes the place of other employees being able to donate their extra days...and it hasn't been 2 years since I returned to work. The other stipulation is that before those "extra" 100 days kick in...you have to exhaust all your accumulated sick days. I should have had plenty of days to cover all my chemos and scans...but not with this whole back thing thrown in there too!

Oh! and that just keeps getting better and better too. Just got the new MRI results from last night. Good news and bad news...
Good news...the disk ant L5-S1 is only partially herniated...only moderate stenosis is likely.
Bad news...the disks at L3-L4 and L4-L5 are completely obliterated...gone..."stenosis is severe in these regions". I could have told them that, and it wouldn't have cost the insurance company 10 grand to find out!

As far as appealing to my "boss"...my principal doesn't out rank Satan's spawn. The Superintendent of Schools does...but she doesn't take calls from, or meet with, staff...ever. One receives a form email response referring your question or concern to Satan. Add to that, that we are involved in a fairly contentious contract negotiation...and the school board has hired a lawyer/negotiator who has presided over strikes in 100% of the contract negotiations he's been involved with in the past 10 years...and I really don't see HR bending the rules to help me.

It makes me sad and angry at the same time that I LOVE my job...as soon as the 3 week rehab from my back is over I could do my job happily and well again...but I'll likely have to be on disability for the rest of the year instead...because I need a handful of unpaid days to get chemo and scans...and she won't grant them. So ridiculous. So frustrating. So sad.

Ah well...one major problem at a time. It's days like these I wish I had a relative who was a lawyer...some one to write a firm letter, or make a well worded phone call to scare Satan into doing the right thing for a change. That's been the only thing that has worked so far. It's when the school district attorney tells her that what she's doing is leaving the district vulnerable to legal action that she does the right thing.

Can't remember which one of you wise ladies pointed this out...but I agree...Karma is out there...and I believe there is a special corner of hell reserved for those who are mean to sick people.

Thanks, as always for your love and support. Wouldn't want to even try to face this %$#* without you, my friends! Sending lts of love to you!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
caya

Sorry to hear of your latest trouble sweet Denise - crap on a crapstick for sure! And I can think of no one who deserves this less than you...

Karma is out there for that b*tch - maybe not today, or tomorrow, but I firmly believe she'll get hers.

In the meantime, try to focus on you, getting well. You don't need the stress of the worry regarding your job, it's not good for you.

And even though it's not your birthday, I implore you to eat some chocolate, it IS good for you!

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
IrvineFriend

I was thinking more on the lines of Corporate America and not the school system. Different situation all together and sorry you have to deal with it. How ridiculous, have to go on long term disability just for infusions weeks apart. Glad you still have a sense of humor somewhat about Satan though. Would have been a better & more appropriate nickname for my ex than the one I gave him. But you can't divorce her!

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
KayeR

Denise - I remember asking me breast surgeon one time about being able to handle all the responsibilities of my job(I'm also a school teacher) while on treatment and he said something to the effect of that the breast cancer organization would help me fight any battle I needed with work issues. He said that if I couldn't handle my job of teaching, that they (my work) would need to find another job for me while I was in treatment and that the breast cancer organization would go to war for me if needed. So, maybe an option would be to contact the breast cancer organization to see if they might be able to help you fight for the 4 or so days of treatment you need. I'm not sure how or who to contact - maybe someone else on here would know that, but I remember this conversation with my surgeon clearly even though its been 13 years ago. I tucked the conversation away in my memory bank thinking I might need to use it someday. Thought it might be worth mentioning. Good luck!! Kaye
11.5 years later.....mets to lungs. ER and Her 2 positive
8/2011 - Tamoxifen, Zoladex
3/2012 - tamoxifen, Zoladex and Herceptin
6/2012 - scan showed stability and some reduction
9/2012 minus tamoxifen add Femara. (Due to increase of symptoms) Still on Zoladex and Herceptin
10/2012 Adding Perjeta. Continuing with Herceptin and Zoladex
11/2102 Added taxol due to percardial effusion
KayeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
BonnieR

Can you do what you imagined, actually get a lawyer to write a letter? One of those menacing medical disability types you see on TV? Not a lawsuit, just a letter from one tough operator to another. And maybe it could go above her head to upper management
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
kk1

Denise;

Sorry to here you are in so much pain, and hoping you will get relief soon. As to your employer-- It is very unwise for them to deny you unpaid leave for treatment and scans. Under the ADA, cancer is a disability, and employers are required to make reasonable accommodations. There is much guidance from the EEOC to employers that they must make accommodation that may include flexible paid or unpaid leave for people with disabilities.

Satan is wrong! Send her these links and if she does not agree I'd look for a lawyer.

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/meetings/6-8-11/east.cfm
"The case law is consistent. The Supreme Court has recognized that that accommodations may include breaks for medical treatment, US Airways, Inc. v. Barnett, 535 U.S. 391, 397–398 (2002), and every circuit to consider the issue recognizes that leave can be a reasonable accommodation. See, e.g., Criado v. IBM Corp., 145 F.3d 437, 443 (1st Cir.1998); Walton v. Mental Health Ass’n. of Southeastern Pennsylvania, 168 F.3d 661, 671 (3d Cir. 1999) (“unpaid leave supplementing regular sick and personal days might, under other facts, represent a reasonable accommodation,” but leave requested here was not reasonable); Rodgers v. Lehman, 869 F.2d 253, 259 (4th Cir.1989) (decided under § 501 of the Rehabilitation Act); Cehrs v. Northeast Ohio Alzheimer’s Research Center, 155 F.3d 775, 782–783 (6th Cir. 1998) (medical leave of absence, paid or unpaid, may be reasonable accommodation); Haschmann v. Time Warner Entm’t Co., 151 F.3d 591, 601 (7th Cir.1998); Brannon v. Luco Mop Co., 521 F.3d 843, 849 (8th Cir. 2008); Nunes v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 164 F.3d 1243, 1247 (9th Cir. 1999); Smith v. Diffee Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, Inc., 298 F.3d 955, 967 (10th Cir. 2002); Taylor v. Rice, 451 F.3d 898, 910 (D.C. Cir. 2006). See also Graves v. Finch Pruyn & Co., Inc., 457 F.3d 181, 185 n.5 (2d Cir. 2006) (noting that “[m]ost other circuits and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission have concluded that, in some circumstances, an unpaid leave of absence can be a reasonable accommodation under the ADA.”).
"But the ADA’s accommodation obligation may require deviation from company policy. As the Supreme Court has stated:
By definition any special accommodation requires the employer to treat an employee with a disability differently, i.e., preferentially. And the fact that the difference in treatment violates an employer’s disability-neutral rule cannot by itself place the accommodation beyond the Act’s potential reach. … Were that not so, the reasonable accommodation provision could not accomplish its intended objective .... Neutral break-from-work rules [for instance] would automatically prevent the accommodation of an individual who needs additional breaks from work, perhaps to permit medical visits."
"
good luck
kk1
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU

Last edited by kk1; 01-17-2013 at 01:17 PM..
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
carlatte7

Our dear Denise...what a bunch of poo. I agree, theres a special corner saved for nasty people inpositions of power who are rotten to sick people. You deserve a break for sure. I dont know any lawyers but I'm sending prayers for you.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Paula O

Hope all goes well for you!

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote