HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #41
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Survivors

Western medical schools teach nothing about nutrition or supplements. A fund of information there! Ignored.

And they are taught if it isn't scientifically proven all over the place, don't even consider it. It COULD interfere with tx. It COULD make you sicker.

Some of my top oncs pride themselves on writing hundreds of pages AGAINST supps.

However, they respected my belief system and let me do as I chose. As is the right of every patient...!

I have learned not to discuss the subject, though I must admit I do try to make them see... landing on deaf ears I know, but, still I feel I must try.

I give an alphabetized list of ALLLLL my supps to ev doc I go to.

Along with my prescription meds and over the counter meds.

I want them to know.

Prior to surgery -- or procedure -- I am supposed to stop ASPIRIN, VITAMIN E, OMEGAs, GINGKO and ADVIL for a week prior.

I follow that. They worry about blood clotting and surgery. I respect that. I honor their wishes.

Please note this. I should post that in my 2016 UPDATED SUPPLEMENT LIST must read thread.

Feel free to do it for me, as I am trying to remember where else I should post that.

LET'S JUST ALL HOPE -- NO MORE SURGERIES OF ANY KIND COMING OUR WAY. But they do to be honest. Had one in 2013 when something new found in my abdomen. Basically a surgical biopsy. BENIGN.

Had a 2015 procedure CT needle guided biopsy and learned the day before surgery that I was supposed to be told to stop all the above I just mentioned. I thought they kept calling it a procedure, so I never even thought to ask.

The day before I called to confirm and with my list of questions that had occurred and they stopped me before I got a word out -- DID YOU STOP YOUR ASPIRIN?????? No. No one told me to... They had to cancel the procedure and reschedule wks later. More waiting is hell -- as you all well know I suspect.

They also added (in by call to confirm -- NO WATER FROM MIDNIGHT BEFORE.

The day of the procedure in 2015 a woman behind the next curtain in pre op was asked, as they were asking everybody -- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD WATER? She answered about an hr ago. How much? About a cup. THAT ALONE DISQUALIFIED HER FROM HER PROCEDURE/SURGERY...!

Then they asked her about Aspirin, Advil.... When was the last time -- yesterday? And the time before that? The day before. She was in a lot of pain. That's why she needed the procedure / surgery.

They wouldn't allow her to continue. She protested. She was warned it could have major life-threatening complications. She said she'd put it in God's hands. The doctor had to come and re-explain to her. She had to go home. And be rescheduled for wks from then. That was said. I was mouthing to my husband in my curtained area, whispering -- they are not going to do the surgery. She is going to have to go home. Can you imagine the disappointment she felt? And she was in pain too. I had no pain.

Oh, and that procedure showed -- BENIGN. Well I was told 5 days later after multiple phone calls. I asked, as I always do, for a copy of the report to be FAXed to me. I noted that the report was written the day after the procedure. No need for me to agitate for 5 days...

Learn from others mishaps I always say. That's why I share. Make all this information a NOTE TO SELF -- and attach it to your SUPPLEMENTS LIST to give to all who want to know what medications you take... A word to the wise...

With love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote