HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
fauxgypsy

Angry So frustrated-in tears

I am on Mississippi Medicaid. I was self employed and uninsurable before this diagnosis. It is so frustrating to try to find doctors that will take it. Thought I was going to see a dermatologist today only to find out they had scheduled me with a general surgeon for a biopsy. I don't know how much you know about Medicaid but you only get 11 doctors visits a year. I really need to see a dermatologist. All I kept hearing is that they don't take Medicaid. It is getting harder and harder to find doctors who take Medicaid. I am so tired of being treated like a second class citizen. There are very few doctors who got through school without federal aid. They could use my tax dollars but now they won't accept them. I know that Medicaid does not pay well but I cannot change that. I finally got an appointment but now I am exhausted and will have to miss more classes.

On top of all of this they are wanting to biopsy a place on my mastectomy arm. No one seems to be willing to answer my question about lymphedema risks. I don't know what to do.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
sarah

Leslie,
Sorry to hear about your problems with doctors. That wouldn't happen here in France.
Everyone should be able to get medical care not just the rich.
My father was a doctor and he would be ashamed of this behavior.
You shouldn't have this stress on top of your disease.
good luck, hope you find a doctor that remember the hippocratic oath.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Vi Schorpp

Hi Leslie

You are so right...our priorities regarding health care are pathetic. I did not realize that you could only have 11 doctor visits a year. Did you want to see the dermatologist for whatever they now want to biopsy?
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
fauxgypsy

I am ashamed of their behavior. I am ashamed of our healthcare system. One of them told me I should just let my general practitioner handle it. I told her that maybe she should tell all of their patients that and that maybe then she would have no income. If my general practitioner could handle I would be happy to let him. It is stressful and then you wonder if you would be getting better care if you had private insurance. I cannot imagine what it is like for the older people, the people with some mental impairment, and the less educated that are on Medicaid. I wish all of our politicians had to be treated like this at least once in their life. Maybe then they would see how bad the system really is and do something to fix it instead of finding ways to line their own pockets.
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
hutchibk

Faux - if it's not too personal, why were you un-insurable before b/c diagnosis? Are you still working full-time or can you apply for your SS disability?

Have you considered contacting LAF for help/advice?

http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.khLXK1PxHmF/b.4393279/
LAF Survivorcare. If you need immediate assistance, please call us at 866.235.7205. We are available Monday – Friday, 9-5pm ET (excluding holidays)

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 09-24-2008 at 09:00 AM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
fauxgypsy

I thought that I was going to see a dermatologist until this morning but it turns out that the dermatologist that they called will not take Medicaid. So they just scheduled an appointment with a general surgeon to biosy the rash. I am worried about the biopsy because it is on the mastectomy arm to begin with and when I ask them about this everyone of them tells me to ask someone else. Since I have so few visits I feel like it would make better sense to see a dermatologist in case they are wrong about it being a viral infection. If it is not a viral infection there is really no point in seeing the infectious disease person again. It just seemed like a really round about way of doing things. I saw the infectious disease person a couple of weeks ago and he did no tests, just prescribed medicine that is not solving the problem. With Medicaid you only get 5 prescriptions a month and only two of those can be name brand. So this month I could only get part of my prescriptions filled. I cannot afford for them to just throw medicine at this until it goes away. Besides the fact that I am the queen of side effects so it could just get worse.
Leslie
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
hutchibk

please see my post above yours. Is your onc aware of this? Have you applied for prescription assistance?

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
sarah

also let me remind you that the US government pays twice (yes that's double) per person for healthcare in the US than governements with univeral healthcare - that word that the health insurers have Americans scared of because they're greedy bastards - just like the wall street manipulators. Universal healthcare here in France is fair, honorable, cost effective and you can see the doctors you need or want to see.
I feel sorry for anyone in America that isn't rich or doesn't have great health insurance (and then you may still have problems and have to fight for your treatments - I did) that your company pays for and the government pays for all those emergencies that the uninsured have to use. Hopefully someday America will have health care that everyone can afford and use.
Leslie there are good doctors out there, I hope you find one.
At least now, more brainy people will more likely be going into medicine and science and not wall st!!! That's a good thing.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
fauxgypsy

I am in a weird kind of limbo as far as the disability goes. I had medical problems prior to this. I was looking into the state's high risk pool insurance when I was diagnosed and was able to get Medicaid through the CDC Breast and Cervical cancer screening program. I am looking into disability, but in part because my diagnosis was botched and we have no idea what stage I was, and my oncologist keeps telling me that I am fine in spite of ongoing problems with my right arm I am not sure where I stand. I also keep getting conflicting information from Social Security. I am not able to do the faux finshes that I was doing because of the mastectomy and the port so my business went down the drain. I have started taking some art classes at the University but now I am having to miss so much because of doctors appointments. If I had a job they would fire me. I really don't know what I am going to do because this program only will go two years. I am looking into my options and I guess I am going to get an attorney about the disability. But even then it could be years before they get this sorted out.

Leslie
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
fauxgypsy

My onc seems to be of the opinion that I am cured so just leave him alone. If I have a problem with my arm he tells me to see my surgeon who tells me to ask my oncologist. I had to stay on them to get a referral to see some one about my arm even when it looked like I had been scalded. they told me it wasn't their place, I should see my GP and this doctor is with UT Memphis.

I am not sure if I could get prescription assitance. I don't know where to start. So far I have managed to juggle everything. If it is cheap enough I just pay for it. This month is the first time I couldn't get everything filled. the one I couldn't get filled is not vital but it sure does help to be able to sleep. Right now the antihistamine is knocking me out. I don't know how we managed through chemo but we did.

Leslie
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
hutchibk

#1. I would like to ask all if it might be possible for now to keep this thread focused on helping Faux in the immediate rather than a heated discussion about health systems... sorry, but that doesn't help her right now, and it takes the eye off the ball. She can't move to France (or maybe she can, I don't know...), but there are potential solutions that can help her right now. Thanks.

Faux - please call Lance Armstrong Foundation (#above) and tell them that you are in need of help securing your disability and medicare. They have disability experts who can help/advise and you do not need to pay for an attorney... they will also help you with prescription assistance, etc. THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR!! Please do not hesitate to call them for advice and help with your situation.

I did not have to go through an attorney for disability, however, I did not apply until I had recurrence. Do you have access to a social worker or case manager at your Oncs office? They can also be very helpful in this situation.

So you have a GP? Can you get them to help you get in to see the dermo?

OK, you need a new onc if the one you have been seeing thinks you are cured. You need another opinion. Do you have any names of other good oncs in your area?

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Last edited by hutchibk; 09-24-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Vi Schorpp

Leslie

When was the last time you worked and paid into the Social Security system? Someone I know in Georgia just found out that since it had been longer than 5 years since she worked, she's not eligible for SS disability. The only reason I'm bringing this up is that if it's been 4/12 years since you paid in, time is of the essence.

When my late husband applied for SS disability I thought we should get an attorney right from the start. He said if he was rejected we'd follow up with an attorney. He was eligible for disablity so that became a moot point.

It sounds like you are slipping through the cracks all around and that's so unfair. It is so time for you to see a new oncologist. In addition to Brenda's excellent suggestions about a social worker and case manager, is there an ombudsman at the local hospital who may be able to help?
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
Soccermom

Faux, email me J I M A R D A N A T A O L . I live in Brandon,MS and would be happy to help, if I can,
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
madubois63

I applied for social security disability half way through my first round of treatment. I did it on my own and was approved. I had to wait six months before I got benefits due. I also applied for my children and they were approved for benefits through my case. After my ex quit his job leaving me and the kids without insurance (during cancer treatments), I applied and received benefits from Medicaid. After 2 years, I was eligible for Medicare. Medicare became my primary and Medicaid became the second that covers the remaining 20% that Medicare doesn't pay. My doctors have many times requested extended benefits on my behalf from Medicaid because those limited doctor visits weren't enough. Ask your onc about it. That shouldn't be a problem. In the mean time, type in prescription assistance in your search bar and apply for everything you can find. You may be surprised at how many will approve and assist you. I receive assistance for co-pays and prescriptions. Check your state web site. Many states offer assistance in paying for re-education after illness. I was not able to return to my job after the first bout with cancer, but I could still work. My state (NY) has a program (Federal/State funded) called VESID that helped pay for college courses and books so that I could get my degree and a new job.

You got a lot of good advice already. I would certainly recommend your contacting The Lance Armstrong foundation, Cancercare and the American Cancer Society for finacial, legal and prescription assistance. Cancercare reimbursed me for pain medication that wasn't covered and for travel to and from treatments. The american Cancer Society (besides wigs, makeup, support groups ande so much more) sent me a small weekly grant for a while. It helped pay for food. There is a lot of assistance out there, you just have to apply or ask. Good luck!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
Jackie07

About lymphedema risk

Leslie,

How many lymphnodes were checked during your surgery?

I did not have any problem with my arm after my first lumpectomy when just 2 lymphnodes were out, but I did have very swollen breast at the lumpectomy site. After another 9 lymphnodes were taken out from the 2nd surgery 4 years later, I did not have any problem until I got bug bites and developed cellulites.

With the compression sleeve and glove, I am totally not feeling any discomfort and pretty happy with the situation because I am a cold-natured person and the glove and sleeve keep me warm.

It is upsetting when the whole thing just goes on and on - especially when you are ready to put everything behind you. But I really would look at it from the positive side - if there is anything needs to be done medically, I would rather it gets done sooner than later.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Stephanie B.

Have you looked into Wal-marts prescription plan. They have commercials that show prescriptions for $5.00. Just a thought.

Stephanie
Stephanie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
fauxgypsy

I will try to answer all of the question. The time frame since I paid in Social Security is an issue. I had been putting pretty much all profit back into my business. The Social Security office told me one thing at first and then told me something else. One of the case workers even told me that I would have to change my last name to my husband's before they could help me. I had to call the IRS number about that one.

I do use the Walmart pharmacy and they have been really good about helping me decide what to put on Medicaid and what to pay for.

I have already had some problems with lymphedema. They removed 16 nodes. As long as I don't do a lot with my right arm the swelling pretty much stays down. My arm does hurt a lot and now they think I have a viral infection in the nerves of my right arm. First it was phlebitis then it was cellutis now it is viral. I think they are on the right track but is does get frustrating.

Brenda and Maryanne, I did not realize that that help was available and I will look into it. I kept thinking that we could manage but it is exhausting. I have played telephone tag with the Rehabilitation office for some time now. Hopefully they can help out. I have applied for some positions in Biology (teaching or research) but though I came close to getting a faculty position at U of M, my skills are out of date and I still would have to miss often at this point.

Thank you all so much. Friends and family who have never been through something like this just do not understand. I have one close friend who has chronic health problems who has been a rock for me. Y'all are great. Soccer mom, I will eamil you soon.

Leslie
Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
Faith in Him

Faux,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I know it is exhausting. If I can help by doing research or making some phone calls for you, just let me know.

I have finished hyperhemeria radiation and the kids are back to school so I have pently of time on my hands.

Take care,
Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
Ruth

Leslie:

I hate that this is happening to you. I had a biopsy done on my arm that I had the 16 nodes removed. It ended up being OK since it is a very shallow punch that she took from the area. I was concerned too but needed to find out what the spot was.

You shouldn't have to change your last name on your social security card...that is the first I heard of that. You can just prove your marriage with the certificate. I am a tax accoutant and have many clients who have never changed their names (families from India keep their maiden names) and many others do too. Social security mails a statement out a few months before your birthday with the available disability benefits listed on the document. I wish I lived closer and could get this together for you and go with you to the social security office! Everyone here has given you some wonderful information. I hope that you can find a dermatologist that will take this biopsy for you. The added stress of this can't be helping the viral problems. I'm sending you a big cyber hug and saying a prayer.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
Soccermom

Faux, I have been told that this site..
https://www.pparx.org/about.php is VERY helpful..

(The above is the Partnership for Prescription Assistance)
Hugs and I hope this helps...hang in there..
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote