HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Lani

Thumbs up beginnning of the end of her2+ breast cancer? Divide and conquer!

I have railed for years on the need to divide her2+ bc into subtypes in order to discover the best targets/ combination treatment for each subtype

I have also railed for years to encourage bone marrow sampling to discover if the disseminated tumor cells there could tell which patients needed systemic therapy as well as local treatment (surgery and/or radiation therapy) and to discover whether the initial therapy was successful or whether additional therapy against other targets is needed

I have not hidden that I believe in the cancer stem cell "theory" of breast cancer

Here scientists have found (in mice, but results corroborated when evaluating a cohort of human breast cancer patients accumulated by vantViver) that an 8 gene signature derived from cancer stem cells of her2+ breast cancer (in mice)
can stratify her2+ breast cancer patients prognoses and serve as targets for therapy.

Two of the genes can be affected by over the counter NSAIDs (cox1 and cox2) and an already FDA approved drug in use for many years -an iron chelator used for iron poisoning and inherited iron deposition diseases is available as well.

I am hopeful studies in this direction will help stratify her2+ breast cancer into groups (even though every patients tumor is unique) which can be treated similarly ie similar targets, turning her2+ breast cancer into an annoying chronic disease or even curing it.

I hope this approach can be used against other forms of cancer as well

Proteomics. 2012 Sep 19. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201200103. [Epub ahead of print]
Proteomic profiling of cancer stem cells derived from primary tumors of HER2/Neu transgenic mice.
Kanojia D, Zhou W, Zhang J, Jie C, Lo PK, Wang Q, Chen H.
Source
Department of Biological Science, Centre for colon cancer, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA.
Abstract
HER2 overexpression leads to mammary tumorigenesis and its elevated levels leads to increase in cancer stem cells (CSCs), invasion and metastasis. CSCs are resistant to radiation/chemotherapeutic drugs and are believed to be responsible for recurrence/relapse of cancer. CSCs are isolated using flow cytometry based sorting, although reliable, this technology hinders the convenient identification of molecular targets of CSCs. Therefore to understand the molecular players of increased CSC through HER2 overexpression and to develop meaningful targets for combination therapy, we isolated and characterized breast CSCs through convenient tumorsphere culture. We identified the altered protein expression in CSC as compared to non-CSC using LC-MS/MS and confirmed those results using qRT-PCR and western blotting. Ferittin Heavy Chain 1 was identified as a candidate gene which is involved in iron metabolism and iron depletion significantly decreased the self-renewal of CSCs. We further performed in silico analysis of altered genes in tumorsphere and identified a set of genes (PTMA, S100A4, S100A6, TNXRD1, COX-1, COX-2, KRT14 and FTH1), representing possible molecular targets, which in combination showed a promise to be used as prognostic markers for breast cancer.
© 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
PMID: 22997041
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Becky

Re: beginnning of the end of her2+ breast cancer? Divide and conquer!

Lani

Does this mean that aspirin and Cox2 inhibitors (such as curcumin which is a natural Cox 2 inhibitor) may help those affected by the Cox pathway IF it is one of their devils?

Is this why aspirin can help?

Becky

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Lani

aspirin is a cox1 and cox 2 inhibitor--but in order to get antiinflammatory blood levels you need to take several every 4 hours or so--as are ibuprofen, naproxen, sulindac and several others. Of the NSAIDs naproxen is felt to be the safest with respect to cardiovascular side effects--all can cause stomach bleeding and rarely kidney problems as well.

Celebrex is ONLY a cox 2 inhibitor. It is unclear what the anticancer dosage would be and how often it must be taken vs the antiinflammatory dosage and frequency.

It is just lovely that there are already approved drugs in these categories with well understood side effects/safety profiles.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Ellie F

Thanks Lani
Again more research towards a cure or long term management strategy.As you say it's really good that some drugs are already available.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Melissa

Maybe all the ibuprofin I take for the aches from arimidix actually helps me! ha Not really funny but it is interesting.

04/06, (42), 2cm tumor, 7/13 nodes, one positive node under clavicle
mastectomy/reconstruction
grade 3, stage lllb, er-65+, pr-90+, her2+++(80%)
4/AC, 12wks TH then 6wks rads
40 wks herceptin, and tamoxifen.
onc test tamoxifen resistance = poor metabilizer
04/07 ooph & on arimidex
08/07 completed herceptin

04/2022 - 16 year survivor!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
KristinSchwick

I agree with Melissa- now I shouldn't hesitate when I need to reach for the Ibuprofen. Those joint aches are buzz killers.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Rolepaul

And these all cross the blood brain barrier! That is very interesting as Nina found relief and less disease in MRIs when she was on Celebrex with steroids. I think I will see if they will let her go back on. Naproxen and the others do not give the pain relief of Celebrex.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
KDR

Thanks, Paul. And there is Dr. Zhang again...
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
R.B.

Please see last page of Omega 3 6 thread thanks Lani fascinating and not unexpected

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...=24410&page=20

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24410
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote