HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
bluesigo

Herceptin Allergy/Side Effects

Hello, Please direct me to an active thread if one already covers this topic. Thanks so much.

My amazing wife's very long survival story in brief:
Initial dx 2001 ... tx, rad, tamoxifen, recur, double mast, ...
multiple liver mets 2007 ... tx, tx and more tx, ...
December 2011 rad tx to big bad liver met - worked great!
January 2012-April 2012 - Doxil - smaller liver mets gone too.
begin Herceptin again in May 2012 to present day status appears to be NED and well controlled on herceptin. (Yeah!)

Problem: wonderful and hard fighting wife is having severe and very debilitating side effects and/or severe allergic reactions to Herceptin. We have tried eliminating benzyl alcohol and lowering her dose well below the standard amounts. Her reactions during or shortly following infusion often include pain running down the center of her back to her hips (like an inverted letter T); difficulty breathing; tightness across chest; tremors/seizure like reaction. The days following infusion she experiences the well-known flu-like syndrome, severe fatigue and significant full body pain.

Question/Request: Please share your experiences with severe side effects and/or severe allergic reactions to Herceptin and how did you and your doctor address them to balance QOL, treatment cessation and/or forging ahead types of issues. We are really trying to figure out how to keep her on Herceptin because it is working so well but somehow give her QOL.

As always, my thanks in advance to everyone for providing your experience and advice.
bluesigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
chrisy

Re: Herceptin Allergy/Side Effects

Flori(SoCalGal) has had herceptin allergy, you might try sending her a pm in case she doesn't see this
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
bluesigo

Thanks Chrisy, I sent her a PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Lani

I started a thread years ago, still running currently under the Herceptin/Tykerb board. It reads something like please list your side effects from Herceptin real or imagined

I hope someday some researcher tries to sum up the experiences listed there as I doubt Roche is doing sufficient "post marketing surveillance" Please add your description to that thread so it becomes all inclusive, if you can

Thanks!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Ellie F

So sorry to hear about your wife's reaction.i have been on long term herceptin and experience the usual side effects after infusion.
My last infusion was given in the afternoon when usually I get it in the morning. I suspect they mixed it with alcohol as I had bad joint pain, bleeding crusty nose and flu like symptoms for 2 weeks.
This time I was back to normal morning infusion and what a difference!
At my onc centre in England I have noticed that some ladies who have reported bad reactions to herceptin have been given iv anti histamine prior to starting the infusion.
I don't know if this also happens in America or if it would help your wife?
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
bluesigo

Thanks Ellie. My wife receives steroids and antihistamines the day before and the day of the infusion. If necessary, and lately it has been quite necessary, this continues for several more days. We tried one dose without preservative but it was a very high dose so I do not know if she did any better w/o the benzyl alcohol because the high dose still gave her a bad reaction.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
SoCalGal

Hi--
As I understand it, Herceptin is only 99% humanized and the 1% (hamster ovary stuff) is being identified as an allergen in my body. I did not have nearly as severe a reaction as your wife, and hard to articulate but the best word is a "wrong" feeling minutes after beginning my herceptin infusion, tightness, heart racing, etc. It was clear something was going very, very wrong. And by "wrong" I mean I was going to pass out or worse. This was after years of herceptin...SO--

My onc sent me to a local allergist who helped me create a pre-med plan AND a very annoying and complicated infusion schedule which infuses herceptin very gradually over 2+ hours. It means my nurse has to change my setting on the pump, every (10) minutes for the first hour, blah, blah, and blah.

Here's my premed dealio (my infusion time starts around 9:30AM):
  • Day before infusion (18 hours prior to infusion): (2) zantacs, which are h2 blockers, (1) singulair, (1) 10mg prednisone
  • Close to midnight, night before: (1) 10 mg prednisone
  • One hour prior day of infusion: (1) singulair, (2)zantacs, (2) benedryl and ativan as needed and desired. sometimes I take .5 sometimes none at all.
My Infusion schedule goes something like this:
RATE/TIME/VOLUME
6cc hour/10 minutes/1cc
12cc hour/10 minutes/2cc
24cc hour/10 minutes/4cc
48 cc hour/10 minutes/8cc
96 cc hour/10 minutes/16cc
120 cc hour/10 minutes/20cc
240 cc hour/for balance of the volume

Hope this helps create a dialog with your oncologist for "sneaking in" the herceptin without a reaction!
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.

Last edited by SoCalGal; 02-25-2013 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: table didn't show had to retype
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
KDR

Bluesigo,
Wow, you have had wonderful successes thus far!
In addition to all the good and sound advice you have gotten above, have you tried calling Genentech directly for help with this?
Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
dchips1

Are you getting the infusions every 3 weeks or weekly, when given weekly you also get a smaller dose than when done every 3 weeks

Good luck and prayers for healing Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
bluesigo

KDR-Thanks, I'm working on a contact directly at Genentech through a contact at my office.

dchips1- long story but her most recent dose (last Monday) was very small to get a better feel for dose related side fx/reaction; basically she received a half of a 1 week dose and the reaction was significant and rapid, within 2 hours of infusion she had problems and even today she's still feeling the effects although not as intensely. Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
SoCalGal

Hi Ken,
Replying here so others can benefit:-)
I don't have any reaction following herceptin infusions. I would HIGHLY recommend slowing down infusion times. Even years ago, before any allergic reactions, I has them start me very slowly b/c I noticed that I would get a migraine as soon as they ran my drip. Since slowing the rate I have not had a migraine during the infusion.
Re: allergy testing - no actual tests were done. He just created a premed routine and a kind if sketchy infusion rate, which would have had me there 4+ hours. Fortunately my boyfriend is a science guy and he computed an escalation table which the docs approved.
We are in uncharted territory, so almost anything goes.
Tykerb may be a good alternative while your wife's system calms down and her pain resolves. Or-- try the super slow method. I am willing to bet it will be easier. What about continuing on benedryl and prednisone for a day or so as well?
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote