HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Val Pfeiffer

Question Stressful event(s) --contributing factor?

I was just re-reading the post regarding our careers (thanks for bumping that up again--I love reading it), and I noticed in a couple of the posts that some of us mentioned stressful situations in our lives before our diagnosis. I'm curious... how many of you experienced a major stressful event in the months prior to your diagnosis?

Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
janet11

No stress, but just wanted to say "GREAT Picture!!!" (*grin*)

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
MJo

I have had major stressful events throughout my life, but the three years before my diagnosis were very stressful -- death of my father from bladder cancer, end of love affair, demanding bosses. Personally I think stress is a minor contributor. As my onc said, If stress caused cancer, most of the world would have tumors. I think it's genetic. Possibly stress lowers resistance and helps the cancer develop if you have a genetic predisposition. But how do we avoid stress, i.e., how do we avoid life?? The other Mary Jo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Becky

I was under mega stress the Spring/Summer before diagnosis (at the end of August). I think it was one of my straws (as in straw that breaks the camel's back). I was eating bad, not exercising and have a genetic predisposition. Who knows - but stress does pump out hormones (corticosteroids - adrenalin) so it can contribute. My mom had bc (diagnosed in her 70's) and has an adrenal tumor (2 of them) and her nephrologist (for these 2 noncancerous tumors) said that these can and do produce more estrogens too (and the adrenals are 100% involved in stress reactions and the chemicals produced during stress) so....

I think it can be involved as a component.

I hope you are doing well Val. It was nice to see you in Atlanta.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
bobbiw

Interesting isnt it the whole stress factor? My mom passed in June of 2005 from lung cancer, the year prior to that I spent doctoring with her etc. I am an only child and was incredibly close to my mom. My cancer was diagnosed in October of 2005.

Bobbi
bobbiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
RhondaH

STRESS...OH my...

My dad (who lived 100 miles awat from me) was dx w/ a terminal heart condition (calcified arteries...the doc said he would continue to have strokes and heart attacks until...). My father lived alone and I was his only child (his lady friend and his sister helped when they could, but his lady friends dad was 103 and she was caring for him as well as she is a 3 time bc survivor and my aunt has her own health problems), so I don't know HOW many times I drove down there for health emergencies, while taking care of my 72 yo mom and 3 yo son up here, working full time etc. I LITERALLY was on my way to see a psychiatrist for panic attacks I was having (my mom felt I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown) the day of his last hospitalization. My feeling is that stress changes our DNA.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Montana

My mom passed away from lung cancer and mets in February 2004, my younger brother had a sudden heart attack and died instantly in June 2004, and my son was getting married at our place in September and I did all the planning for that AND gave the wedding shower also. (DIL's parents were useless!!) I was diagnosed in October that year.

No stress here..........LOL
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
sarah

yes I believe stress was a factor. My work was always stressful and I was selling my house of 20 years and moving to a foreign country - although I was happy about that. I couldn't have been in better physical shape - I went to the gym a lot, walked a lot, I felt strong and healthy!!hahahha! and when my husband got very ill with Ankylosing Spondelitis, it was brought on by a number of stressful things happening all at once. so yes, I believe stress is a catalyst among other things. we all lead stressful lives anyway but......I think if you have several bad triggers happening at the same time.....bam! it reveals its ugly head.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
RobinP

Not stressed at all but did have a pregnancy 2 year prior and a miscarriage 3years prior. The hormones of both could have pushed me over the brink...?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
Sherryg683

I was constantly stresssed, nothing really to be stressed about but it was just my high strung nature. I'm trying to calm myself down now but who can be calm with cancer..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
Julie2

I believe stress is a contributing factor. I lost my pregnanacy and lost my father to eusophagus cancer just prior to my diagnosis.

Julie
Old 09-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #12
Carina

Smile

I think that stress was a factor in 'triggering' my cancer. My surgeon said that I likely got cancer approx. 5 years ago. My marriage was crisis, my then husband was dealing with disabiling depression and we had re-located for one year for me to manage a very high profile project that required travel all over the world. There were times when I felt all I could do was keep breathing.

Survived that, still laughing and working on loving more and connecting with others every day. Cancer brings it's gifts as well as its sorrows.
Chemo: AC + T completed 8Sept06, and Herceptin started started 7Jul06 (Herceptin temp. stopped due to allergy)
Hormonal Treatment: 9Oct06 (Arimadex)
Radiation: To start 10Oct06 (5 weeks)
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
tousled1

I was in an extremely stressful job but nothing could compare stress-wise to my son passing away in 2002. He was diagnosed April 2002 with Leukemia (AML) at the age of 36 and died September 2002. He gave it a good fight and I was by his side every day.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
MCS

Val, what a great picture!

Kid you not. I was under extreme levels of stress from work and at home. I definitely think that it may not have caused the cancer but it pre disposed my immune system to break down.

I did read that everyone fight cancer cells in their body every day. Those that cannot be killed by the immune system multiply and cause the illness.

That's why I feel so scared about discontinuing my herceptin because my levels of stress have not chnaged ( i lost my job, i lost my father, my mother is not capable of dealing with my father's passing, marriage difficult etc etc). So I feel, i will be pre disposed to it again for recurrence

XOXO

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
karenann

Lets see...my husband had been out of a job for 3 years, we went through both of our 401K money, all of our savings, my daughter had been ill, I was having health problems (not bc, yet).

Does all of the above qualify as stressful?

Yes, I had experienced a lot of stressful events a few years before my bc diagnosis and I believe the stress did contribute to my bc.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
vickie h

Lightbulb

I believe that not only stress, but traumas from our childhood, or at any time make a huge difference. There are studies now being done (not sure where) on trauma and cancer. Some of us have had lots of trAGEDY OR TRAUMA, and it can be any time in your life. I believe we internalize alot of that, hold on to those feelings, and slowly it compromizes our immune system. Another factor to look at may be feelings of grief, anger, unforgiveness. I know I had a lot of trauma in my life as well as a stressful job, moving, deaths, etc. If you look at some of the areas in our country where breast cancer is most prevalent, you'll find they are concentrated in areas where there tends to be a high percentage of stress. Thank you for the question, Vickie h
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #17
dawbs

The jury is out on this one. No evidence one way or another, except in rats. Researchers keep trying to prove or disprove a link, but the reality is that it's virtually impossible to control for, as everyone has stress of some sort in their life.
Vicki
dawbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Joannie

Stress

I DO believe stress can be a component of cancer. I was in the process of building a house, moved into a 800 sq. foot apt. for almost two years during building, with two small children. We were the builder on the house. Moved kids to a new school. Sister went through a difficult divorce, one in which we loved her husband, the grass was greener! She in turn got engaged two months after dating someone and married after 6 months. Brother is in a terrible marriage and since he was my builder, I heard about the crisis in their house on a daily basis. I carried way too much stress, trying to fix everyone's problems. Layed awake at night worrying about everyone but myself. Worrying about things that I had no control over. After my treatment was over, I sought out a counselor to help me deal with the aftermath of BC along with changing my lifestyle habits to better suit myself. He helped me to learn to live with my new life, as well as teach me the life skills of letting people vent about their issues, but to realize that they were their issues, not mine. The 6 months I spent in counseling with him was the best 6 months I ever spent on myself. I'm a different person after BC. I now make choices that suit myself and immediate family. I try very hard not to worry about things I have no control over. I can deal with traumatic situations (almost lost both brothers this summer to accidents, 3 days apart!), way better than I could before BC. I am able to say NO to volunteering my time for everything under the sun. Even though having BC was the most traumatic situation I've ever experienced, many positive life changing things came out of it for me. I will never carry the weight of the world on my shoulders ever again. I do believe stress was a factor for me, with regard to my immune system being compromised.
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
StephN

Question When does the cancer cell divide and thrive?

Some say that most of us have had the cancers we are dealing with for up to 5 years and maybe longer. This is an interesting question, as when does the cell group upgrade itself to "fast dividing - grade 3"?
This is my pathology at the time of the biopsy. If it was fast growing did it only take a year? Was it slow growing for 2 or 3 years and then change to more aggressive?
All I know is that the rate that my cancer was growing and spread right after treatment, it could not have been 5 years like that.

About the stress. For several years before 2000, I had a great deal of stress. Coming from all quarters - family, taking care of the grandma's and great aunts on both sides; hubby's business partner trying to shaft us in a power grab and more. Maybe, as someone mentioned, I internalized this, as we have to find a way to keep up with daily life and move forward.

My life is much calmer now that all those people and problems are gone. And believe me we do not go looking for trouble. Maybe this is why I am able to keep the cancer beat back and stay NED. I turn more of my energy inward for my own healing and peace of mind.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
MJo

As I said in my other post, I had plenty of stress in the three years before diagnosis. But I was also feeding my prog/estr+ tumor daily with hormone replacement therapy. I shudder when I think about taking that pill every day for seven years until the day my mammo came back suspicious. Then I quit HRT cold. As for stress, I have lived with mild anxiety and depression since age 15. I have tried meditation, special diets, talk therapy, accupuncture, vitamins and supplements -- you name it. I now take Lexapro every day and occasional .25 dose of Xanax. Before BC I hated to take aspirin. Now I take the anti-anxiety meds. Maybe that will help me stay cancer free, if stress IS one of the causes.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote