HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
victoria

Looking for survivors

I have a friend who was told, on Monday, that her breast
cancer has spread throughout her bones. We work together in
an office with 6 other women. When my friend told us what
her doctor found, she called us all together and asked us if
any one of us knew of any women who has survived breast
cancer after it has spread like this. None of us knew anyone.

My friend would be so inspired to speake to just one
woman who has gone through the treatment and come out the
otherside with time.

I did not tell her that I am searching for this because Iam
afraid I will not find anyone.

All the women in my office are feeling quite vulnerable
and inadequet. We want only to be supportive yet we are not sure
how to do this.

My friend has cancelled a trip which she had always dreamed
of taking so she can start the treatment. She is 74
years old. We don't know what to say.

Does anyone know a survivor of breast cancer that has
spread to the bone?
victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
rinaina

you may want to copy and past this post onto newcomers or her2 after clicking on home. first click home then click her2 group or newcombers group. hope this helps.

Rinaina
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
chrislmelb

Yes there certainly is a lot of women who have had bone mets(in the bones) for years. You will receive many encouraging posts and get your friend to post here so she can ask her own questions.

Thankk you for being such a supportive work mate.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Mgarr

Survivors

Victoria,

Here is a thread that may be helpful. I am sorry for your friend but it also sounds as if she has a great support system already.

Best of Luck to her.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23902

Mary
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
callen03

Victoria, your friend must be Stage IV (cancer that has spread to other parts of the body). I too am Stage IV, but my cancer has spread to my abdomen and neck. I talked to my oncologist about this the other day. He told me that he has some patients who have been Stage IV for over ten years. Some people respond well to the chemo and some do not. Only God knows why.

Your friend really needs to have faith that she will be one of the ones who responds really well. Most of the people who are long-term survivors are very optimistic people. I really believe that has a lot to do with it.

You must be a great friend to be researching this for her. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
StephN

Another older patient to look up

Hi -
You are really doing a great favor to this poor woman who the docs will most likely undertreat because of her ago. There are 2 members of this board who are elderly ladies surviving long term. If you look up by their posting name you can find all the posts related to them.
One is TriciaK, a really lovely lady who is recovering right now from a heart problem, but her cancer seems to be in control. The other is a lady who is now senile whose son takes good care of her - look for Tom.

I have fought the spread of my cancer from an aggressive invasion into my liver and starting into my bones. Also fought it out of my brain the past 2 years. This has been going on for over 6 years and I have been off chemo and maintaining on Herceptin for 4 years now. Only problem is that chemos and Herceptin do not cross into our brains and this is why I have had other treatments for that problem.

A lot of people will read and not post a reply, but WILL say a little prayer for your friend.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
cosmicdust

I am treating both bone mets and liver mets...and YES there is hope. You are truely a good friend to this person as you are looking for information and ways to help her through this 'journey'. Prayers for her and bless you for taking the time...to be there for her!
Old 06-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
mrsjck

Hello, new to this site and just found your post...I had breast cancer in 1998, radiation, chemo, lumpectomy...all clear for 7 years...now has spread to spine, hips, pelvis, femur...currently had radiation to lower spine, Arimidex (to starve the tumors) and Zometa to strengthen the bones. I am almost 60 and in good health...some female troubles...hot flashes, etc. due to hormone treatment but otherwise doing very well on all tests...I have wonderful support around me, as does your friend with all you gals at work. One of the best pieces of advice is not to look backwards for long...we weren't created that way...eyes forward, feet forward...look to the future...whatever it is we are going through...even aside from cancer..."this too shall pass". It is an absolute truth...it always passes into something else...good, bad or indifferent...it is something else...gives one a sense of movement...like we are doing something, making progress...and by God...we are. Try to connect you gals to this site or to breastcancer.org or others out there...all of you will find answers and support to help your friend...and she is truly blessed to have you.
mrsjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Marie G

Wink Keep Believing

Although I have been a caregiver, part of my job is to do the legwork for my sick husband (Yes Men Get Breast Cancer Too!). I have spoke to people who are long-time survivors, and his doctor has confirmed. Keep searching and keep the faith, they are out there and they will let you hear their story. Please ask again for their help. God Bless and Good Luck!! Marie G
Marie G is offline   Reply With Quote