HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Sandy H

New trial for skin mets!

I wanted to share this with you all. I talked to Dr, Lupe Salazar, UW/Seattle in San Antonio and she said she is working on a new trial Phase I for skin mets to start in April. I will be calling her in a couple of weeks for more info and will be posting. It is a topical application trying to activate the T-Cells of the skin to fight the skin mets. One needs to be off the Herceptin. At that time that is all she knew. She told me to call her in March and she would know more. I am still in Florida but should be home in two weeks. I will keep you all posted. I am very excited about this trial. Wishing you all the best. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
michele u

Sandy, do you know if you have to be HER2 pos for that trial? I have a friend that is triple neg and has skin mets. I told her about Miltex. Is that just for Her2 pos? I'm trying to find her some help

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Sandy H

Good questions!

Michelle, I believe it is anyone with skin mets. We talked mostly about IBC, because that is what I have. She did say one would have to be off Herceptin so it maybe just for her2 people. I will find out more after I return home next week and will be posting here. Sorry I can not be of further help at this time. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
Doxil

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
vickie h

Post her2 skin mets

Thank you Sandy for the info. As you know I went on the phase II trial for my skin mets with BIBW-2992. After a week and a half, my face was covered in acne and painfully itchy. I had severe diarhea, nausea and a fever. They took me off the trial this past Monday, but I must say that my skin mets all but disappeared in that short time, which means that Tykerb, with less effects, may be the ticket for me. I meet with my Onc next Wed to decide a new plan of action. Much love to you and I look forward to hearing about this new cream. Love always, Vickie
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Sandy H

Vickie is this Phase 2 trial another form of Tykerb or similiar to it? I guess, there is no name for it at this time. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
Doxil

Old 03-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
vickie h

Hi Sandy, There Is No Name For This Drug Yet, But It Is Similar To Tykerb (another Egfr And Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor). Tykerb Has Less Side Effects, Or Atleast Milder Than This Drug. I Am Hoping Fda Approval Comes In The Next Few Weeks. My Friend Went On Another Egfr Drug Very Similar To Tykerb Called Hki=272 Another Phase Ii Study And She Is Having Horrible Side Effects Also. Don't Know If She Will Be Able To Stay On It. I Am Now Wondering If My Onc Will Suggest Xeloda. Let Me Know What You Find Out About The Cream And I Will Keep You Posted. Much Love, Vickie
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
lindaw

Hi
I emailed the research coordinator at Univerity of W to see if they were having trials in Australia. She said no but did name the trial as oprneing in Fall 2007 and it being using Imiquimod. This is the very topical treatment the dermatologist that I went to said we would use after 2 weeks on antibiotics and corisone cream. My Onc has agreed to try it - so it looks like I will be on a pretend trial with you - I hope . See my Onc Monday to ask to start.

love
linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Sandy H

Update on skin met trial in Seattle.

Just got an e-mail from Dr. Salazar today and this is what she said about the skin met trial I was hoping would be starting next month.

Due to funding purposes, the study will probably not be open until next Fall. I am submitting another grant proposal in June to help cover the cost. I am also revising the protocol to include systemic treatment. So it will likely be a combination of topical and one chemotherapy agent- for synergistic effect and hopefully better clinical efficacy.

Hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
Doxil

Old 03-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
lindaw

Dear Sandy

is that long to wait - can't figure out when your fall is. I am off to the Onc on Monday to ask if I can try Imiquimod with the dermo's supervision. What will you do next. I suspect Lapatinib is failing - or he may wait a little . I think it will be taxotere and herceptin which is one of the few I have left.

love
linda
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
Sandy H

Linda, it is March here now and so fall is September, October and November for us. So we are looking at 6 months from now. Hope this answers your question. Yes, we have known since middle of January this drug was not working so its time to do something else. We maybe looking at avastin. I doubt if it will be anything to do with Tykerb because from the info released it sounds like the FDA has put guidelines for it not to be used outside of the Xeloda or Herceptin. Will find out more next week after scans, restaging and talking to the oncologist. Any further questions please let me know. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
Doxil