HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Unregistered

Crystal Ball?

I do know there is really no crystal ball, but...

I am 2 years out from dx. 38 years old. Stage 2A...1.8 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node, HER2+++. ER+ PR-. Finished chemo and had bialteral masetcomy over a year ago. Finished herceptin over 6 months ago. Currently taking tamoxofin. Working, spending time with friends and family, loving life. I feel down right "normal". So why am I making my first post on a message board after 2 years? For some reason, the doubt has started to creep in. I NEVER asked for stats, never asked what was going to happen, I just listened to my onc, researched treatment options, and made informed, aggressive decisions to get rid of this. When I was done, I was done and got right back on the horse and focused on living my life.

But a month or so ago, I started looking at this board and others and I'm getting scared...maybe more scared now that I was a year ago.

But my question is "what's going to happen now?"

Is making it 5 years my goal? I want to live to be 80. Is it OK to think I can have a positive lymph node and HER2+++ and not recur? The posts I've read make me think I'm fooling myself.

Maybe I'm just having a pity party right now. Sorry ladies. I don't want to be a downer, and maybe someone should just say "ask your onc and don't get everyone worked up"...but if someone can dust of their crystal ball (or some journal or abstract you have tucked away somewhere ) and tell me what's going to happen, that'd be so sweet....!!!

Much love.....
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Colleens_Husband

Please understand that the people on this site are not a representative sample of the HER2 community. Most people survive cancer and move on to other things, such as living to a ripe old age, and just look at their cancer experience in the rear view mirror and they have no desire to deal with it anymore.

Some of the people become pillars of the HER2 community because they have had such a hard time, and these are the people which may scare you. These people are still living and making the most out of every single day of their lives and they should be honored for their bravery and dignity in the face of mortal peril. You could really learn how to live by being around these brave souls. I remain on this site because these individuals constantly amaze me. Well, that and they are a lot of fun to be around.

Others in this community have had the minimum amount of grief, recovered, and have stayed here to offer support out of a sense of community spirit.

Also, you need to be aware of when things are written and when people have had a difficult time. Herceptin changed everything. Information about HER2 which is a couple of years old does not apply to you or your situation. A lot of the scariest cancer stories will not happen in the future because of Herceptin and possibly DM1.

If you are just now dealing with the fears of your cancer, then you may want to go to a cancer counselor who is experienced with post-traumatic stress. I'm not saying that you are crazy or that their is something wrong with you, but there is a reason that you visited this site after such a long time. Exploring why this has become an issue now may improve the quality of your entire life.

Please take excellent care of yourself.

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile With much love...

I believe what we BELIEVE is reflected in our thoughts. They are programmed into our brain. They play ON REPEAT all day. Doubts and uncertainty creep in. They slowly become obsessive and gnaw at us. We begin to think that if we are thinking it, it is probably all rooted in Truth. So we start to become possessed by our negativity and it multiplies and grows.

So, personally, I take those thoughts -- the ones we each have from time to time -- I process them, experience them, don't deny them or repress them, vent in some way and move on.

Venting can be by reading posts on this site passively or it can mean expressing and sharing your feelings as you have done, Ms Unregistered... Tehe

When I say I move on, I consciously choose to dispose of my scary, albeit horrifying, thoughts, my complete sense of doom, frailty, insecurity and such -- refusing to allow such ideas to rent space in my head.

Then, I install thoughts that reflect my deepest desire. Because I believe what we think impacts our reality this is of utmost importance.

Thoughts are energy and go out from us into the Universe. They travel at varying speeds and frequencies, dependant on the amount of negativity or positivity they have. And our thoughts, and prayers, are met by the Universe. They are sensed. And responded to. IN KIND. So, our thoughts attract what it is we are focusing on.

I AM HEALTHY AND WELL. I AM GRATEFUL FOR EACH DAY. I LOVE LIFE. Therefore, you will be full of joy and serenity, KNOWING you are calling your desired destiny to you, versus your worst nightmares to you! YOU HAVE THAT POWER. It's really quite cool.

Also, the messages your brain sends out are heard by your body and -- responded to. Your body takes its direction from your mind. So stay far away from thoughts full of doom and gloom, resignation and sorrow, awful imaginings and such.

You can simply open your heart, and your mind, to become a vessel for Universal Love. Think, speak, act with kindness and compassion, with caring and generosity of Spirit. Be grateful for the blessing of wellness. Live with all these positive emotions and KNOW you are magnetizing like energy to you!

Please read my BE BRAVE thread below...

Be brave! - HER2 Support Group Forums

Continue enjoying Life, your friends and family... This is extremely healing, along with laughter of course.

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE FOR MY STORY. I AM AN OLD TIMER. DX IN '95, NO HERCEPTIN AVAILABLE IN THAT ERA, RECURRED IN '98 AND...
HERE AM I!!!

YOU TOO CAN LIVE FOR MANY MANY DECADES TO COME. DON'T SETTLE FOR AGE 80. GO FOR 100. WHAT THE HEY...
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
StephN

Wink No Seances either ...

Wish I could say otherwise, but NO one knows what tomorrow may bring. We only know the odds are with us that we will be alive and well. Go with that!

Your nagging questioning is natural. You have been able to repress your fears (that we all have) about breast cancer and its fickle nature. These fears and questions are powerfully strong and ebb to the front of our minds at varying rates of speed for all of us.

Many of us repeat as a mantra that "knowledge is power." So we reach out to see what is happening in the way of new treatments in case we should ever need it. We reach out to find out how others with similar diagnosis and treatment are doing.

I believe that the "magic finish line" of 2 years is implanted in the back of our consciousness at the outset of treatment. That survival interval is made important by our doctors, so we have this time frame as a reference point, whether we realize it or not.

As Colleenshusband pointed out, this is OLD news. You and many thousands before you have received Herceptin as part of first treatment. You are all writing a new chapter in the book of HER2 positive breast cancer survival. Keep living as you are, and keep writing!

Satisfy yourself, that you are in the vast majority who are doing, and will continue to do, well against this disease. However, just a bit of edginess may serve you well in watching your body closely as time goes by. It is really more likely that you will have another medical issue crop up before you have another problem with breast cancer.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
chrisy

Lee is correct when he says:
Please understand that the people on this site are not a representative sample of the HER2 community. Most people survive cancer and move on to other things, such as living to a ripe old age, and just look at their cancer experience in the rear view mirror and they have no desire to deal with it anymore.

Most of the people who are "active" on this type of forum are those who are also actively in the fight. MOST of them do just move on, putting it behind them.

Also you should know that many of the stats are pre the use of adjuvant herceptin which has truly changed the face, and prognosis, of Her2+ cancer. Many of the people (such as myself) who are dealing with recurrence or advanced disease did not have the advantage of getting herceptin upon initial early stage diagnosis.

True, nobody has a crystal ball - but your chances of being one of the people who "look at their cancer experience in the rear view mirror and they have no desire to deal with it anymore" are excellent.

Enjoy your good health and feeling normal! By the way, worrying about recurrence is normal, too - but will get better the more years you get under your belt.

Go for 80,90 or more!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Ellie F

Chrisy
So glad that the T-DM1 trial is working for you.I would be really pleased if you could share some details of it with us as I feel my knowledge is very small and I read they are commencing more trials. I would like to ask how often you have the treatment, what are the side effects and do you lose your hair!!

Andi
I'm still working on those positive thoughts but some days are more difficult than others! Been reading about psycho-neuro immunology which seems to support a lot of what you advocate.I suppose in the future we will gain a scientific understanding of the impact of our emotional/mental health on our physical disease process.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
LAURIE

almost 3 years

I so feel your worries too. Now granted, I have had a huge distraction keeping my mind busy. A baby can do that. Today I had my 3 month checkup with my onc. I have now graduated to a twice a year patient. exciting and scared. I am here on this site because I cannot stay away. When something great happens in my life I have to share. When others are hurting I need to feel it. This site gives me the courage to keep making a difference. I share my story with others, because I am proud of the past 3 years of my life and I do not want others to have to go through what we have gone through.

I want an end to cancer and what we do and share here can make a difference.

I am glad you posted but understand why this was the first time.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Mary Jo

Hello "unregistered..." So happy that you posted your fears here. You need to get those out and posting them here was a great idea.

I can't offer much more than what Lee so accurately said but there are many of us doing well who have had a her2 diagnosis and a positive node (I would be one of those). Many just move on from here. Some of us hang around to offer encouragement BUT also to gain strength and encouragement from those constantly fighting the battle. They are my hero's. They are an awesome bunch who have taught me much.

You're right, there are no crystal balls and thank God for that. I don't really want to know what my tomorrow's will be. For now, just living one day at a time is sufficient. Enjoying each day the Lord gives me breath.

The way I look at it..........we will all "pass" on. Each one of us, regardless of how much we may want to stick around a bit longer. The day is not of our choosing.....so, I just live my life and try to enjoy each day 'cause God only knows what tomorrow will bring.

I am a 4 year NED survivor and trust me when I tell you, it took me a while to get to this line of thinking. The first few years I was scared to death.....recurrence lived on my brain....but in time I learned to appreciate each day and not borrow trouble.

God Bless you "sister" and thanks for sharing your heart. We love to "listen" and encourage here.

Hugs ....

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
sassy

As Lee pointed out, most of those on this site are not representative of the general populace of those afflicted by HER2+ breast cancer. They are however the most intelligent, compassionate, empathetic and supportive group of SURVIVORS you will have the privilege to share with.

As you can see by my signature, I had 5 positive nodes and am still around over four years later, currently NED (No Evidence of Disease). I come to this site to offer support for others, but to also seek support and continue to learn about this disease.

I come here because these are my friends.

If you have questions, need to talk with someone, need to vent, or whatever, there is someone--many someones---here to help and support you at any time.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Her2nSue

Sassy, Congrats on your being 4 years NED. I'm nearing my 4th year in Oct. For some reason I'm finding the upcoming 4th and 5th year NED nerve wracking. I guess it's constantly being positive enjoying life even with all the aches and pains still affecting me and continuing with all the daily pills, I guess I'm just hoping that nothing comes from around the corner to take the wind out of my sails. Any way, just very happy for you that you've reached the 4 year mark

Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
Ruth

I echo lots of posts here ~ I go away for a while then come back and these fanstastic folks draw me in to celebrate in their lives; the bad and the good. I want to inspire hope...I needed it so desperately 6 years ago with 10 positive nodes with one in my chest. So...its so very natural to read and get frightened sometimes but within this is a great amount of hope and love to share it all with.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Mary Anne in TX

It is a bit of a roller coaster ride this BC thing! Like so many others, I was at my best during active treatment for 3 years. Then, after a couple of months, it felt like I had been let adrift in the ocean and told to kick! But month by month, I'm learning to be an NED person. It took me a little over a year to learn to adjust to fighting BC; so I figure it will take me some longer to learn this new role.
I keep coming back to learn, to listen, and to find out how everyone is doing. It's hard to know that some are having very difficult times, but everyone was there for me when I needed them most. This is a big family of all sorts of folks. We have "educators, uplifters, calm-me-downers, think in another way people, etc." I've needed kicks in the pants and I've needed cheering on. This is THE place to come when you need help with Her2 BC. I know there are other places to go also, but the honesty here is remarkable and the love amazing.
Each day is an adventure. Wish I knew how many I had.....geez, no I don't. I think that would be worse! Welcome to our family. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
MJo

My friend who was diagnosed at the same time I was considers her breast cancer "over." As for me, I'm a support group person. I go to a biweekly BC group at the Wellness Community and I visit this group regularly. It sounds like you're having a delayed reaction. Welcome to the group two years after your Dx.

I don't see why you can't look ahead to your 80s. My oncologist was talking about weight control and preventive tests with me and he said "It's especially important when you reach your 70s and 80s......" How about that! Of course, a bus could run me over tomorrow. Cancer changed me. Before, I was a future-oriented, driven person. Now it's easier for me to take a day at a time, and it's easier for me to be content with what I have.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Diane H

Can't add much to the insightful, comforting and supportive posts before me except to say thank goodness for them! Take comfort here, the depth of experience and knowledge is awesome,
Hugs,
Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
SusanV

Hey there Crystal Ball,

I like you, made a conscious decision to "turn my back" on the whole thing once treatment was over. Don't underestimate that your very will to move on will be a big part in your outcome. Positve attitute helps. You will always go through times of doubt.... but refocus on what's important and pull yourself back out on top. I was diagnosed at a similar age to you (37)...This Aug 3rd, I will have made it to three years ! I am now 40 and happy and healthy and most of all grateful ! If you ever need a friend you can message me !
ER/PR + (Highly Positive)
Her 2 +++
1.3 & 1.2 tumors right breast
node negative
lumpectomy 8-15-06
A/C Began 9-5-06 Finished A/C 11/6/06
Port Placement 9-15-06
Negative Test for BRAC1 & BRAC2 10-25-06
Began Tamoxofin November 21, 2006
First Herceptin November 27, 2006 Continues every 3 Weeks
First Radiation Treatment December 11, 2006
35 Rads Completed
Final Herceptin Treatment November 12, 2007
Port Removal November 19, 2007
Living Life to the Fullest !!
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Becky

My stats are almost 100% like yours but I still have my breasts (and although it is not a constant worry, a new bc is more of a worry than recurrence).

I will be a 5 yr survivor in a couple of weeks and Herceptin wasn't available to me at the time. I did have it though - 4 months after my last chemo (as a single agent only - never combined with chemo as it is now).

1.9 cm tumor, 1 positive node, ER+, PR neg and I am still here, doing well and no new breast cancers after 5 yrs. You can do it too (plus many, many more)

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for the great and helpful feedback. What I've been reminded of is that it there are many many people just like me who are living happy, healthy, cancer free lives. I never worried about statistics so it was out of charachter for me to be stat concious now. I liked what someone wrote about HER2 stats being invalid anyway and us re-writing those stats thanks to Herceptin.

I (like all of you) and a strong woman who for some reason finally needed some extra support. Thanks for letting me know that living to 80 isn't a fantasy.

And by the way, I'll regsiter. (no more Unregsitered!) Hope to maybe post some more in the future.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Jackie07

Hi,

There's no way to predict if and when there will be a recurrence. Because of all kinds of 'human errors', we have to be vigilent by ourselves. Since you've got mastectomy already, the chance for you to have recurrence has been reduced to minimum (at least as far as the 'breasts' are concerned)

I had totally trusted my doctors and technicians and ended up having an undiagnosed recurrence for 4 years, losing several jobs and still don't know if there are cancer cells growing somewhere in my body. Did a genetic profiling and ended up with a BRCA variant of 'unknown significance'.
Life goes on. Nobody knows what's going to happen tomorrow. We'll just have to do our best and after we've done everything we can, just 'let go and let God'. Enjoy every moment and live everyday as if it's the last day of our life...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
R.B.

No crystal ball I'm afraid,

and we have choices which raises all sorts of crystal ball questions - one thing that is in our control is our ability to influence the way our genes express themselves through out diet and that includes the cookie I had today which was a tiny bad infuence (-: but nice.

This thread may help get you passed 80 (-:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet

R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote