HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Her2nSue

Unhappy thyroid problems with IDC

Hey Gang,

I have a question to throw out there. Has anyone had any thyroid problems after chemo treatments and herceptin infusions? I've been having some strange
feelings since my last infusion, tomorrow I go in for more. I spoke with the onc nurse and told her that I'm so fatigued even after I nap after I get home from work. All joints and muscles hurt, but that's been that way since I've been on herceptin and femara. Does anyone else's fingers swell, usually at the worst is in the morning. Can't get my rings on my fingers. On top of this typical stuff, I should win an academy award for being able to cry at the snap of the fingers at any time. I'm already on a depression meds that have been upped since the onslaught of cancer. They're probably going to give me a thyroid test tomorrow and see whats up. Would like a diaretic or something to help me feel less swollen, jeans are getting pretty snug now, and they were fitting just fine in July/Aug. Sigh... well, if there's any opinions or suggestions on what could be going on, please send me a line. I will keep you updated on what goes on with the blood tests. Thanks for listening!
Sue
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Sue!

I started chemo in April and got my thyroid medication increased just a month or so ago! It helped soooooooo much! I feel like a new person! My oncologist checks all that stuff at least once a month. I'm so glad you are having it checked. Might help all the other things too.
My depression lifted completely when I got my thyroid med adjusted.
Good luck,
Mary Anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
heblaj01

Sue,
You will find some info on thyroid problems at these posts:
http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...6735#post96735

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...hlight=thyroid

Note:
While depression has many causes,an untreated hypothyroid can also lead to mildly depressive condition in addition to many other disorders since the thyroid affects a multitude of body metabolisms.

Last edited by heblaj01; 10-12-2006 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Added Note
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
tousled1

Sue,

You might want to do a search here on the site. Not too long ago there was a thread about side effects of Herceptin. Sounds like a lot of what your are experiencing could be from the Herceptin. But I would definitely have the thyroid checked out.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Her2nSue

Angry Update on Thyroid and Bloodwork

Hi All, on my last visit for my 3 week infusion of Herceptin, after I threw out my question to you all on the thyroid, my onc. wasn't going to do any bloodwork since the previous ones looked so good. I kept pressing the issue of feeling extremely fatigued (was I putting in too much in trying to be normal again with going back to work & doing stuff around the house?) They had no answers. I asked should I cut back my hours at work? No definite answers there either. The onc. starts jotting down notes and asks how is my joint and muscle pains? HEELLLLLLOOOOO, where has this man been all these past months when I've told him the pain is severe 24/7 - my fingers and their joints are all swollen, can't wear my rings. My thumbs hurt so bad that at times my 16 year old daughter has to button my jeans or anything else that needs buttoning. I had told him months ago that Celebrex doesn't really do much. But yet he still keeps me on it. After a while, as I'm hooked up to my iv pole, they decide well maybe we should run some blood work. Well, this is what they have found out, my thyroid is in the normal range, but low. My other things came back normal but still in the low range. They don't believe in doing anything with these low in the normal ranges, till they step over the normal border. uh ha, I see. The big shocker was that my potassium level came out with bells, whistles and flashing lights saying I was at a low of 2.9. I hear now that the range should be 3.5-5.0. None of this 2 stuff. They wouldn't let me leave until I had a full bag of potassium, another 4 hours worth of hanging out. The nurses all said I was in a critical state and I shouldn't even think about waiting for the potassium till Monday. Now, I wonder Ladies, where in the hell would I have been if I wasn't persistent in telling them that something was just not right. Mind you that Herceptin works against our hearts, extremely low potassium also works against our hearts and as for me, I already have a heart problem to start with (mitro valve prolapse). If they didn't do bloodwork that Fri. I could have keeled over with a heart attack and no one would have been the wiser, they would have thought it was just from the herceptin. I had a follow up the following Friday, after taking potassium pills twice a day & still taking them and my other bloodwork was all the same but the level of potassium was back to where it was before I crashed. I'm now looking forward to my next Muga on Nov. 20th. I'm betting my numbers have dropped, my chest feels like someone is sitting on it when I go up the stairs or try to walk too fast. Geeze isn't this ever going to stop?
I'm sorry, ladies, for complaining and rambling on. I just get tired of telling the Dr.s all the symptoms of what I feel and they don't hear me! It's good to read the posts from everyone and to see that sometimes I'm not alone with it all.
Thanks, everyone, for listening.

Sue
p.s. one note of good news, I was given the prescription amitriptyline, 25 mg. 1/2 a pill nightly. the medical description of this meds is basically used for an antidepressant, but it can also be used as a pain reducer. It's great! The severity of joint and muscle pain has deminished quite a bit. Also still taking Celebrex, don't know what for, didn't do much for any of my aches and pains, just one more pill to continue on with.....
Her2nSue is offline   Reply With Quote