HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #21
TiffanyS

Re: Port or No Port?

Sarah, I’m so glad that you’re still here 17 years after being diagnosed! It makes me feel hopeful that the same thing could happen to me!

My port protrudes a little bit, but it’s not that bad, and most people don’t notice is, even when I’m wearing a top that’s low enough to see it. Most of the time, I forget it’s there. I have never regretted getting a port.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6
11/16 – Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #22
Donna H

Sarah - I love the "its your body and your cancer" line. That is so true but sometimes we need to be reminded of that! And congrats on the 17 years!
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #23
Jedrik

No port here. They never asked when they took the sentinel lympf nodes and when chemo started the oncologist said I had good veins, we could try and do without. Fine with me, even though veins started collapsing after the first two rounds of TCHP. Towards the end of herceptin the veins needed coaxing with warmth, but all in all I'm happy I'm through without.
Should I progress I'd probably get one, though.
start 10/19/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Targeted Therapy start 10/19/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab), Perjeta (pertuzumab)
Surgery 02/23/2016 MX Left, PMX Right
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #24
Mtngrl

I figure I'll get a port eventually. It just hasn't happened yet. I've enjoyed hearing from so many members. Blessings and love to you all.

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #25
TiffanyS

Jedrik, I’m glad that you’re getting Perjeta with Herceptin, Carboplatin and Docetaxel as a first line therapy. In Canada, they only offer Perjeta as a second line therapy, and I wish they would offer it as a first line therapy. I can’t help but wonder if I would have had my recurrent if they had given me Perjeta during my first line of treatment. I hope they start offering it as a first line therapy soon.

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
05/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #26
Whonoze

No port. 10 years and still using the same vein, which I have named Old Faithful.
Whonoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 PM   #27
Jedrik

Getting Perjeta as first line therapy seems to have been a stroke of luck in all of this: Three month earlier and it most likely would not have happened as per german law.
Still, the future is open for all of us, even if I came out of therapy with more favorable statistics. But then I had cancer with odds of 0.05 % (Paget's) to make clear from the start that there are statistics and then there is the individual and we can only hope to come out on the right side once we entered this lottery.
Good luck to all of us.
start 10/19/2015 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Targeted Therapy start 10/19/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab), Perjeta (pertuzumab)
Surgery 02/23/2016 MX Left, PMX Right
Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 AM   #28
TiffanyS

You are correct Jedrik, and I wish all of us the best of luck while going through our cancer journeys. I just hope we all have years ahead of us. I’m glad you got the Perjeta as a first line treatment, and I hope it made a difference in your treatment plan.

I see your surgery date is coming up. I hope it goes well, and you’ll have to let us know how you’re doing once you have recoverd.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
05/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #29
Mtngrl

Two more "no port" advantages: On another forum, a member posted about her port getting infected. She had to be hospitalized. She had to learn to "pack" the wound once the infected port was removed. I don't think a simple venipuncture ever leads to that kind of consequence (granted that it's rare, in any event.)

Also, Wednesday I learned that where I'm treated people with ports have experienced delays waiting for RNs to access their ports to do blood draws. We go to one place for that, wait an hour, see a doctor or NP, and then go to the infusion center (so I get stuck twice every time I have treatment). Again, just a venipuncture is something a technician can do--no RN required. I get in and out of the blood draw place with no delay.

Not saying it's "better" or should be what everyone does. Just saying there are pros and cons. Once I finally get a port I'll probably wonder why I waited so long.

Amy
Old 03-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #30
Juls

Never been offered a port
But --
Today I would have been pleased to have!

I had the most painful attempt by a Nurse to put cannula in.
Had to distract myself with a drink of coffee to stop the tears of pain.
In nearly 4 years I have never had this.
Not looking forward to the next time!
Geez!!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:48 AM   #31
TiffanyS

I’m sorry to hear that Juls. I had a similar experience when I had my surgery. The nurse hooking me up to the IV tried to take blood through my IV, and she really hurt me. In fact, I remember that pain more than I remember the pain from the surgery itself. Did you tell her that she was hurting you? If not, next time you need to do so. Also, maybe you should ask about getting a port. It might make things easier for you going forward

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
03/17 – Second brain MRI –awaiting results
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
05/17 – Full body CT scan scheduled to see if I’m still “stable”.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #32
Donna H

A typical blood draw for me can take 3-4 tries. I have tiny veins, they tend to roll and I have valves is weird places....or so I have been told! I had my first chemo done without a port and I ended up with a large bruise that lasted for months. Luckily I never had any issues with my port. As handy as the port made infusions I was very happy to be rid of it as soon as I could! As with this journey as a whole, we all have to made decisions that work for us - our cancer, our body, our decision.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #33
Juls

Thanks Tiffany & Donna

I did tell the Nurse, as she was attempting this, that it was painful but because it was nearly in place by this time I told her to leave it! Thought worst was over! Only problem was that when she tested it - it didn't work. So she had to remove it. At this point I nicely suggested that I put hand in warm water. 2nd attempt was a bit better. She then started blaming my veins to which I replied they were usually good. ( didn't want to be rude and say that "other Nurses have never had a problem in 4 years - thought it but didn't say!!") I think this might be a problem with this new team - they don't like to use warm water like previous team did. This happened in ward with 5 patients being treated by my old team - all had warm water to soak. I've only had 2 IV's with this new team and neither great.
I think I will have to say before 3rd treatment. Don't want to go through that again!
Bruise is coming along nicely!!! lol
Juls
Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #34
TiffanyS

I’ve never seen a nurse at my clinic use warm water when having trouble hooking up an IV, but, that could be because most of the patients at my clinic have a port. A few don’t, but, my clinic is big on ports, and it’s recommended to all patients, especially the ones who have to get herceptin for a year after getting chemo.

I hope things go better for you the next time Juls.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6 Second CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
01/17 – A second “pimple” shows up on chest wall, as well as a small lump under the skin. My doctor thinks it’s scar tissue and will monitor it for now.
03/17 – Third CEA blood test and CA-15-30 blood test – Both normal at 2.5 and 25
03/17 – CT Chest scan to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs – results are mixed. The good news is, lymph nodes are stable, there was improvement of previous lung changes due to radiation, and the cancer has not spread to my bones, spine or liver, etc. The bad news is that while some lung nodules remained stable, others increased by 1-2 mm and new ones have shown up. All of them were less than 1cm.
03/17 – Received my genetic test results from Foundation One. It found 11 genomic alterations, 3 therapies associated with potential clinical benefit, and 13 clinical trials from which I might benefit.
03/17 – Ultrasound scheduled to determine size of “pimples” on my chest wall. They will follow up with a second Ultrasound in three months, to see if they are growing
Old 03-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #35
Juls

Hi Tiffany
The warm slightly soapy water is really quite nice. Veins plump up and skin nice & soft! Just like kids playing in soapy water!!
Juls
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #36
Donna H

A warm towel works well also.

My cousin just finished up chemo. She only needed 4 cycles and she got a port. And her port only worked if she was horizontal! Crazy.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 AM   #37
TiffanyS

I’ll have to keep that in mind for times when they can’t use my port. That being said, I’ve had my port for over a year now, and I’ve only had a problem with it once. It’s really saved my veins, as I can only use my one arm for blood work and IV hook up, and it was getting really bruised. My doctor has since put on a note on my file that blood is to be taken from my port as well. They still use my arm though when going for scans and tests, and I’ll let them know about the warm water/towel trick the next time someone has a hard time.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #38
Mtngrl

Update: Tomorrow's the day! I'll get a port put in, then get my first infusion of navelbine, which is a vesicant, a class of drug that can cause severe tissue damage if it leaks out of the IV. My new treatment will be Tykerb and Navelbine.

Amy
Old 05-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #39
Melissa

Amy,
Wishing you all the best! Let us know how it goes and how you feel.

04/06, (42), 2cm tumor, 7/13 nodes, one positive node under clavicle
mastectomy/reconstruction
grade 3, stage lllb, er-65+, pr-90+, her2+++(80%)
4/AC, 12wks TH then 6wks rads
40 wks herceptin, and tamoxifen.
onc test tamoxifen resistance = poor metabilizer
04/07 ooph & on arimidex
08/07 completed herceptin

04/2022 - 16 year survivor!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:59 AM   #40
Bunty

All the best Amy.... I've had my port now for 9.5 years, and never had a problem. Keep us updated on how your treatment goes....
Cheers Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote