HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Erin

Question about exercise with weights

Hello Ladies,
New question of the day for you (lol)!

I have been a life-long exerciser - running (back in the day when my joints could take it) treadmill, elypical, free-weights, machines.....even taught aerobics for 7 years. As you can see from my signature, I had 3 nodes removed - all negative.

Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the TCH is concerned, I am thinking about resuming my work-out schedule (2-3x per week cardio, 2-3x per week weights). Should I be concerned about weights on the bc side as it relatest to the possibly development of lymphademea? I REALLY need the exercise, as I am of English and Irish extraction and without regular weight work my muscles just seem to melt into jelly. I also have a family history of osteoporosis, all the more reason to be doing weight-bearing exercise.

Any advice?
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Kim in CA

Thumbs up

Dear Erin,

I can only give you advice from my own personal "one rat study".

As you can see from my signature I am a stage IV and still here! One of the things I have done during my whole time fighting breast cancer is continue to exercise.

My passion is horseback riding and just two years ago I took up endurance riding. I ride regularly about 25 miles a week, not to mention all the work that goes into taking care of my two horses.

This Saturday I competed in a ride that just kicked my BUTT! Miles and miles of steep hills. This was my new horse's first endurance ride so I got off and jogged alot of the steep sections (both up and down) to give him a break.

Today I can hardly walk, but I am on Cloud Nine because we completed that ride. (dead last, but we completed!)

In answer to the lymphedema question. I regularly lift heavy hay bales and tote buckets of heavy water with my BC arm and have never had any issues. My doctor is aware of all that I do and has never told me to stop, so I guess he feels it is better to keep doing whatever it is that makes us tick.

I don't know how long I will be NED this time, but I believe that the more I exercise and the stronger I become, the more fight I will have in me the next time I have to go on Chemo.

So, don't know if that answers your question, but knock on wood, it's what works for me!

Kim in CA

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
romo9

exercise

Dear Erin everyone is different of course -but I continued my cadio workout (for shorter duration) throughout my chemo and radiotherapy and went back to full time when I had finished treatment. I had an axillary clearance and radiation to my axilla which caused alot of breast oedema( which is not really the same as lymphoedema developing in your arm.) It has taken 2 years for this to subside but has not completely gone. I also started back on weights and pushups but was more concerned about damaging my shoulder than lymphoedema so I have taken up pilates instead as I felt there was more control involved and use heavy springs!
Personally I think the pumping action of the cross trainer helps the lymph return!!
I also have developed osteopenia and the physio who I do pilates with is hoping for a steadying of my bone density with her "heavyweight" regime!
Romo
romo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Becky

Dear Erin

Like Kim, I have horses (4 at home) and do all the heavy work. As for weights, I have heard to start out slow (low weight and not a lot of repetitions) and work up. Unlike the past - where you would be told no way, the new thinking (like roma said) is that it helps the lymph fluid return to circulation. But be careful and go slow. Never exhaust your affected arm with too much, too soon. Don't go with the no pain, no gain rationale. I had 2 fingers swell (but it subsided and never returned) from packing my house for a move a year ago. The unpacking of the kitchen did me in with all the repetitive movements of unwrapping and putting away (but it was too much in a week's period and way different from starting a cautious work out program). I work out with light weights now but only to improve running times.

Take care

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Linda

Hi Erin. Good to send a message to you again. I've worked out with weights and been a runner most of my life, so I couldn't wait to get back (and I had all of my axillary nodes removed.) I'm 2 years from dx. I'm back to my old workout. I've had no lymphadema.
I started slowly, just like the others said, first with the stretching exercises, then very light barbells (1 or 2 pounds). Eventually, I got back to my pre bc workout and I now work both arms equally. It took about 8 months of gradual training. My surgeon told me not to put weight on top of my surgery shoulder -- that was the only thing he told me not to do (he thinks the lymph reroutes) Who knows.... So, I don't do squats or anything that rests a barbell on my shoulders. And I don't carry a heavy purse or backpack on that side. But I do every other kind of weight work out -- machines, free weights, whatever.
It feels great to be strong again. Good for the head. Good for everything! You'll be amazed how your body can recover. It just takes time. You'll know when you need to go slow and when it's time to push your body again.
L
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
DonnaD

Hi Erin,
First, hang in there you are almost done!!!!! I have two treatments of radiation left. What a celebration we will have!

I have been exercising again for the last two months, right after I finished chemo. My surgeon is the one making the calls (I had two levels of lymph nodes removed). He said to start out slowly and did okay weights. I feel so much better walking and doing some resistance training. I use hand weights only from 2 to 8 pounds. So far no problems.

Good luck.
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote