HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Topaz

Herceptin stopped

I was diagnosed with HER 2+ with 2 microscopic cells in sentinal node in 2006. I had 6 cycles of CAF chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Started 3 weekly infusions of Herceptin and then my oncologist bluntly told me that my heart function was deteriorating and Herceptin had to stop after only 7 infusions. I asked her if it could be started again if my heart improved after a rest and she flatly refused saying it wasn't worth the risk to my heart. I am pretty devastated. It feels like another blow after I had just began to recover from the initial shock of being diagnosed with BC. As you may have gathered I live in England and the treatment here seem to be very different from the USA.

Does anyone have any reassuring information about my chances with no more herceptin.

Topaz
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Malena

I have your same problem, I had to stop herceptin and now I feel like having no other chances to fight against the cancer! I found this wonderful site looking for more information about HER2 positive cancer!
Malena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
kalogria

I don't know much about Tykerb / Lapatinab yet and I don't know if it is also cardiotoxic but I don't believe so. It could be worth discussing this with your oncs.

Topaz - I don't think this drug yet has a licence in the Uk but there are trials ongoing or your onc may be able to obtain some for you.
Best wishes
kalogria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
MJo

Two or seven Herceptins is better than none.
Topaz -- Did you get seven infusions every three weeks? If so you got the equiv of 21 weekly infusions, which is 5 months worth. There is a clinical trial in Europe going on with 5000 women, which hopes to prove that six montsh of Herc. is as effective as 12 months.

Malena -- you sure reacted fast to Herceptin. Could it have something to do with the dose, or the way it was administered? (P.S. I am italian-american with grandparents from abruzze - teramo and collelongo . My niece just spent a semester studying music (oboe) in Milan. )

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Topaz

Thank you to everyone who replied. I will try to be positive although it is sometimes very hard and as MJo said 7 Herceptins is better than none especially when looking at the European study.

Thank you once again

Topaz
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote