HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 03-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #141
Carol Carlson

I was on Herceptin for a year ( every 3 weeks ) from June /05 to May0/6
I was 9 months out of standard chemo when I started--I am stage 2B

Noted side effects
!. stiffness and achyness esp. in hands in the morning, hip pain while walking any distance ( still have that ) could be arthritic.It would also take a while for my feet to get going in the morning... sometimes they didn't feel like mine.

2. insomnia-- never was a "good" sleeper but definitely worsened on Herceptin.
( in fact I still have a PRN supply of a sleeping med and take it maybe 2-3 times a week)

3 weight gain-- 10-15 lbs, lost it after I stopped taking Herceptin but it seems to have crept back on

4. the nails-- Still split and don't grow as long as before

5. I've noted some thinning of my hair and that has remained the same

6. fatigue-- wonder if that will ever go away... after my surgeries, chemo, rads and then a year of Her., just don't seem to have the same energy level
and I do all the right things ( could be my age.. I'm 66 ) an oldie in the group

7. mental status-- didn't notice anything remakrable there.... maybe I've always been a little " foggy"---- just kidding---- I'm sharp as a tack

Overall, even though these things are annoying, I would say that after standard chemo, it was a breeze.

Hope this helps.
There seem to be many common threads re: side effects.
And as someone said previously, sometimes my onc. would look at me as though... how could you possibly have these things wrong, they aren't listed
in the medication insert !!!
Now, perhaps, they will start to look at these symtoms a bit more seriuosly with collected data.

Regards,
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #142
Val Pfeiffer

Very thirsty

I am now on Herceptin only quarterly. I had a triple dose on Thursday. I never noticed this before, but yesterday when I went to my spin class, I drank THREE bottles of water in one hour. I am very thirsty for a couple days after (which isn't a bad thing). I just found that strange, and I didn't notice it as much when I was on a more regular dosage. I have a few of the symptoms that you guys mention, but not nearly as bothersome as some of you have experienced. I have had no weight gain--same weight as always, which didn't change during chemo or radiation either.
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #143
Gerri

I'm Done!

Hi All,

I have been waiting for the day when I would finally be done with my Herceptin treatments and it is now here! I was on the every three weeks plan for one year and had my final (I hope) dose on Friday, March 16. My side effects (not necessarily in the order of frequency or annoyance factor) are:

*Chills - all the time, not just during infusion
*Jerking/twitching of my legs
*Lost my eyelashes (twice)
*Slow hair growth (but VERY happy to even have hair to grow slowly!!)
*Brittle nails
*Fatigue!!!
*Weight gain/inability to lose weight
*Cracked skin on fingers
*Vision changes
*Drippy/runny nose
*Back pain (chemo?)
*VERY tired/heavy feeling legs
*Stiffness after sitting

When all is said and done, this was a pretty easy road to travel. The year went by quickly and now I am looking forward to my "new normal".

Wishing you all good health!!

Gerri
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #144
janet/FL

Gerri
Your list was perfect and a "must read" for newbies. I had everyone of them except for "losing my eye brows." I am now 8 months since my last treatment and am happy to report most these changes--GONE !!
I am going to add it to the bottom of this list. If anyone would like to add more, I would think copying the list and adding it might be helpful to clarify all that can happen. And eventually the list could be posted by itself.

The only side effect I had that I would add--is insominia. And that too is getting better.
*Chills - all the time, not just during infusion
*Jerking/twitching of my legs
*Lost my eyelashes (twice)
*Slow hair growth (but VERY happy to even have hair to grow slowly!!)
*Brittle nails
*Fatigue!!!
*Weight gain/inability to lose weight
*Cracked skin on fingers
*Vision changes
*Drippy/runny nose
*Back pain (chemo?)
*VERY tired/heavy feeling legs
*Stiffness after sitting
*Insomnia
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #145
Brian

Long Term User

My wife, Lisa, was initially diagnosed with IDC in December, 1991-NED for 10.5 years-Recurrance in liver and lung in May, 2002. She has had every treatment known to man since May, 2002-Has been on Herceptin since July, 2003 to which she has had a complete response. Was NED from July, 2003 to January, 2005 when cancer again appeared in old scar tissue in lung. NED again after surgery-Stayed on Herceptin throughout-Gemzar added for a few months-April, 2005-Lisa had a stroke while in Italy and a small brain tumor found-tumor was gamma knifed and gemzar continued-October, 2005 cancer discovered in liver where previous tumors were ablated. Areas again ablated and Xeloda was added to herceptin. Xeloda treatment ended April, 2006-Lisa has been NED since liver surgery in October, 2005 and has been on weekly Herceptin ever since.

SIDE EFFECTS-
1. Dry-Bloody nose.
2. Runny nose-Constant
3. Periodic muscle cramps throughout body
4. Joint pain in knees, elbows.
5. Muscle pain in arms
6. Muscle spasms in back.
7. Thin weak toe nails and fingernails.
8. Slow growing hair.
9. Fatigue.
10. Acid reflux and peptic ulcers.

Herceptin has been a miracle drug for Lisa, but although it is keeping the cancer at bay, the side effects have become burdensome enough to impose on her daily life. We have been able to control her nausea and muscle pain lately. We are working with the Docs to check blood levels of various chemicals to see if we can get some permanent relief from these problems.

Good Luck and God Bless to All!
Lisa and Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #146
hutchibk

I have been on Herceptin since September 2005, sometimes with chemo, and sometimes by itself. I am currently on Herceptin until the cows come home, in combination with Taxol, every 3 weeks. Here are my top 10, but I think some of them may be exacerbated by the Taxol, as they weren't as acute when I was on Herceptin by itself...

1. Dry/scabby-sometimes bloody nose.
(Solution for me: antibiotic ointment on Q-tip inside nostrils AM&PM-
it's wonderful, healing and soothing)

2. Runny nose-Constant
3. Periodic muscle cramps throughout body
(Solution for me: I try and stay ULTRA-hydrated which really seems to help... and when I get a particulary mean leg cramp, I eat a banana which usually works pretty quick)
4. Joint pain in knees, elbows (Solution for me: motrin)
5. Stiffness after sitting and sleeping, especially in fingers and ankles.
6. Tired/heavy feeling legs and jerking/twitching of legs
7. Thin weak toe nails and fingernails.
8. Fatigue.
9. Acid reflux. (Solution for me: Nexium when needed)
10. Watery/drippy/teary eyes (Solution for me: Patanol eye drops)
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #147
Allie1947

I was diagnosed with ibc in Oct. 2006...started chemo in Dec. 2006, getting treatments every 3 weeks. Then started weekly treatments of taxol and herceptin in Feb. 2007. I'm in my 6th week...with 6 more weeks to go. During this time my hair has started to grow back in slowly...lost that after the first dose of chemo in Dec. My symptoms with taxol and herceptin are as follows:

aches in feet and legs, especially after going to bed
fatigue
brittle nails
dry skin
sinus issues
dry nose...with some bleeding
headache
body aches and pains
joint stiffness
back pain...which I attribute to a previous condition of sciatica, but maybe not.
insomina....
memory loss...often can't remember particular words, which could be related to lack of sleep, I suppose.

and ...something new...my heart seems to be pounding a little harder..and I find I'm feeling like I can't get enough oxygen at times. Will let Dr. know on Friday when I see him as this hasn't bothered me much before.
Allie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #148
SandyR

Thumbs up MUGA Scan

Allie, by all means you need to get to the doctor....
While on herceptin your doctor should be monitoring your heart with a Muga Scan. Herceptin can lower your heart's ejection fraction for your left ventricle and you could go into a temporary heart failure.
If this happens, it is reversible by giving your body a rest from herceptin.
Good luck!

SandyR
SandyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #149
StillHere

Watery/Teary/Dripping Eyes

I never connected my running eyes to my Herceptin use, but now it makes sense as it has stopped since I had to discontinue due to LVEF of 40 last year. I just thought it was a cold, or sinus issues. Not that I had ever had eyes that tear up and run down my face for no reason before. It did not start right away. I was 5 to 6 mos into Herceptin treatment before I had the eye tearing thing. I have also had just about every symptom listed in above threads, but very tolerable.
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #150
harrie

nose irritations

Suggestion for the nose irritations: I had that problem. I thought it was from the chemo impacting the nose vessels causing the nose to bleed slightly, and also a little runny. It is a lot better now, but while I was having the problem which lasted over a month, I bought a nose wash (which looks like a little teapot and you use it to pour in one nostril and out the other). i would put a very diluted antiseptic mouthrinse (such as CrestPro Health, WITHOUT ALCOHOL) into the water. I also bought a nose spray to keep it moist and that helped a whole lot. My primary physican looked inside and saw some inflammation, so she recommended I use an antibiotic cream, applied with a q-tip, only at night.
I don't know which of the above helped the most, but the end result was significant improvement.

Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #151
gin-tx

Smile Herceptin problems

Yes, all the symptoms you are experiencing are from Herceptin. This wonder drug sometimes is a pain to deal with but is still a wonder. It's kept me going for the past 9 mo. If my ins co would just pay for all of it, that's another issue.
I have constant runny nose, insomnia, joint pain, pain in feet at night, had acid reflux before but it's gotten worse, think that's enough. But I deal with it and try to keep going. Hope this finds you doing well, you've had a lot to deal with.
This is my 2nd episode of Bc, other was 11 yrs ago. But totally different types of tumors, the latest was much more aggressive.

Keep me informed of your progress.

ginkott1@aol.com
gin-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #152
janet11

Re nails. I finished TCH (with Taxotere) in mid January (last infusion Dec 27) and I'm STILL having nails lift and separate. A new one started 2 days ago. My onc and I are definitely blaming the Taxotere (does Taxol do this too?), not the Herceptin. It's just such a slow side effect, I hate getting this MONTHs after finishing chemo.

But we don't think it's Herceptin at all. It's definitely a common side of the Taxotere.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #153
theresaw

Wink

Well it is good to know that i am not the only one having these effects of Herceptin. Everytime i mention something to my doc she looks like i said some thing alien to her. When I told her my toe nails came off she told me I may have had a fungus..NOT! they still haven't grown in yet..
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #154
gin-tx

Smile Problems with herceptin

I think everyone is affected in a different manner. I have runny nose, which I take something but some days it makes little difference, difficulty sleeping, so take something to help me rest at night, when I don't I toss and turn all night long, no problems with toenails or fingernails yet, dryness in nose and nose bleeds (only happened a couple of times). And of course lots of fatigue in daytime, I usually come in from work as I work part time and sleep about an hour. Also I have a tumor on my spine that makes it difficult to lie on my back, so finding a comfortable sleeping position is not easy. Have had radiation, it shrunk some but cannot be removed because of location.

Keep me informed of your progress. I think this site is so wonderful to air our complaints, sometimes our families or the docs do not understand.

hugs,
ginkott1@aol.com
Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #155
harrie

side effects

It is interesting to read all the various side effects. My BIGGEST complaint is the excessive salivation during waking hrs when I am not eating. Last night found sucking on sugarless Ricola helps a whole lot. My fingernails are starting to look like small bleeding beneath the nails. Insomnia....not me. I sleep really, really good. The few days i take the decadron, I might have a slight problem, but over the counter Sominex (1/2 tab) is all I need to fix that.
It is one wk past my last TCH tx and I can feel the fatigue. When I do some of my cardio at the gym, I can definitely feel the difference.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #156
gin-tx

Smile Side effects of Herceptin

Dear Maryanne,

I have none of the side effects you mention. So far nails have been fine, salivation no problem, have lots of allergies, so take something for that. Biggest problem is I'm noticing I'm very tired for a couple of days after treatment, just slept a lot over week-end and watched TV, did not exert myself at all. Had no energy to do much. If I don't take something to sleep, I may sleep till around 2 am, then I'm up for a couple of hours, then tired the next day. I have other issues but they're totally different from yours. For the most part I think I've done fairly well. Now noticing how tired I get after treatment, don't know if it's Benadryl or the Herceptin. Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.

hugs,
ginkott1@aol.com
Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #157
Adriana Mangus

Question Question??

May I ask you about your bc. I was diagnosed in 1994 and am dealing with my 2nd bout with bc.

Will you be receiving Herceptin for life?
What type of treatment did you receive first time around?
Did you have mastectomy?

Any other information will be appreciated.

Thank you Gin-Tex
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #158
theresaw

I was diagnosed June 2006, left breast, her2 post. non hormonal. From July 2006 to Sept. I was on what I called the Red Death (sorry if it sounds bad) then from Oct 2006 to Nov was on Herceptin and Taxol, then Dec until April 2007 just Herceptin. Yes I had Mastectomy with reconstrutive surgery, the tram flap.
Can I ask you when your reacurrence happened. I am concerned about reacurrence because it is in my family. I know with all the Meds out there i shouldn't be worried, but I can't help but think about it.
I hope this was helpful.
Thanks
theresaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #159
Malena

I finished the chemo on may 2006 with a 55% of FE. I started herceptin on June 2006. After only 2 infusions (every 3 weeks) I had a serious heart problem (FE 15-20%). I stopped herceptin.
February 2006: mastectomy + 10 nodes

4 cm tumor
, 1 node micromets , ER-PR-, Her2 3+
June 2006: started Herceptin
July 2006: stopped Herceptin for high heart toxicity
January 2007: reconstruction

Malena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #160
Adriana Mangus

Wink Sooo Young!!!

Dear Malena: I was devastated when I was diagnosed at age 38, but you? Oh God soo young. Have you heard or Tykerb? Maybe this new drug will work for you. Too bad you couldn't continue with Herceptin. I have been on it for the last almost 4 years in August..so far everything seems ok..I keep praying....I have also been taking Xeloda for the last 3 months due to the tumor growing back (little, nothing to be concerned about for now) and it appears that it's working. I will be seeing the onc. May 2nd. Keep the faith and pray HARD.
Stay Positive....Best of all to you...
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote