HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #81
cillanyc

I think Gina was trying to say to push your drs. to prescribe herceptin, regardless of node positive or negative. If you're Her2 then you should be on Herceptin regardless of stage, i guess to prevent mets in early stages !I am pretty sure thats what she was trying to say ..
Old 08-30-2005, 10:14 AM   #82
jjfromcanada

BarbaraL,

I was stage 3b. I had two primary tumors. Larger 4.5 cm. ER/PR-. 4 of 10 positive nodes. And Grade 9.

I had CEF and 25 zaps of radiation.

I even pushed for another round of chemo back in 03. But couldn't find an onc who would do it. And only knew of the Herceptin trial from a friend of my sister's in the US.

I asked for it then and got denied it too. The results of the trial have changed so many minds.

But I really believe the benefits are there just not measured by a trial. The oncs I talked to felt those benefits outweigh the risks.

I had my loading dose Aug 22 and for the first time since I got my pathology report I really feel hopeful. Cost of Herceptin, $70K. Feeling hopeful, priceless.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #83
SusanDail

I am participating in the SWOG N9831 Herceptin Trial through Swedish Hospital in Seattle. I received Herceptin post Taxol and am halfway through my weekly infusions. I was diagnosed in May 2004 as Stage 2B, ER Positive, Her2+Nu positive. No side effects other than being very tired after treatment. No change in MUGA score.
SusanDail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #84
Unregistered

Blood Test Available for HER-2/neu

There is a blood test for HER-2, for the monitoring metastatic breast cancer patients. Herceptin does not interfere with test results. The blood test can be done over the course of the disease. It allows physicians to make therapy modifications. It is available at Quest lab and other labs as well. It does not replace having a biopsy done but is used after that.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #85
amya

I was diagnosed in March 2003 stage IIb...2.5cm and 3 1cm or less with 2 positive nodes HER2 +++. I was in the control arm of the Herceptin study. I received AC x4, Taxol x4 and 7 weeks of radiation. After the study was stopped because of positive results, I asked if I could/should receive Herceptin but was told by my Onc. that I was outside of a year, so the protocol wasn't for me to receive any. I'm wondering if anyone out there is getting herceptin even though they were outside of the year cut-off, or if there are any studie looking at benefits of adding Herceptin to other women like me. At this point I am NED.
amya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #86
mamacze

Thumbs up Welcome Friend!

Hi Amy!
How nice to see a friend posting on this wonderful web site...welcome welcome welcome to our discussion board!
Your question is such an important one, I suggest you post it as a separate thread so it gets the attention it deserves.
I am not an expert in anything; but I can point you to some web sites that may be helpful; for example check out;

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...ast_Cancer.asp

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...eakthrough.asp

http://www.nci.nih.gov/newscenter/pr...mbination2005/

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Hematolo...Cancer/tb1/947

They all seem to point toward the use of Herceptin to prevent reoccurrance; you may want to ask your oncologist.

Good luck!
Love Kim
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #87
mamacze

Hi Amy,
Also, check out the "early stagers?" discussion thread; especially SandyBB's entry on 9/30; it seems relevant to your situation...
Love,
Kim
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #88
Laurie61

Smile

I was diagnosed in May 2001 with Multifocal infiltrating ductal carcinoma, Her-2neu and ERA an dPRA positive. 2 positive nodes. I had a mastectomy followed by 6 months of adriamycin, cytoxin and taxol, I was accepted on a herceptin arm which combined the herceptin along with the taxol and continued weekly for a year. I had muga scans done to check for heart damage, but found nothing. I opted to have a mastectomy on the other breast as well, only to find it was not cancerous, but had questionable tissue, good thing I had it removed. Have had reconstruction and am very happy with the results. I have taken tamoxifen for 3 years and about a year ago changed to arimedex. I am approaching 4.5 years cancer free, I so greatfull to have received the herceptin, I believe it has made a difference in me having my health back.

Last edited by Laurie61; 10-08-2005 at 12:12 PM..
Laurie61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #89
Unregistered

I am new here. I was diagnosed in December 2003 with multifocal IDC, primary tumor 2.4 cm, 2 much smaller, Her+++, ER/PR +. Stage 2b. I had a sentinel node biopsy before any treatment and they found involvement in 2 nodes, a small level in one and a microchip in the other.

I got into one of the BIRG studies at Dana Farber, where you were guaranteed herceptin. I ended up in the herceptin/navelbine arm. I had 12 weeks of that, and then a mastectomy. They found that the herceptin/navelbine shrunk my tumors considerably but since they were multifocal and in different quadrants, my surgeon said she felt a mastectomy was necessary. That was probably the best day of my life without my even knowing it. Mastectomy in June, 2004, with axilary node dissection (no more nodal involvement), 4 courses of A/C, then started radiation - 35 treatments, and back to herceptin, once every three weeks, for 14 more weeks. Started tamoxifen in December of 2004 but (THANKFULLY) my oncologist switched me to arimidex in January of 2005. I had a bad reaction to the tamoxifen, and at the same time the San Antonio conference was reporting the results of the tamoxifen vs. arimidex studies.

Finished the herceptin in June of 2005.

I thank my lucky stars that I ended up at Dana Farber and that I decided to get into the clinical trial that GUARANTEED herceptin. I did a lot of research ahead of time and decided I wanted herceptin no matter what.

What I find so terrific is that for the longest time being HER+ was considered a terrible thing, and now with the great success of herceptin, women who are not HER+ sometimes feel cheated that they are not candidates for herceptin. Crazy world. But we are a very lucky group at this point in time.

Having a prophylactic mastectomy this coming Tuesday. Am not high risk but decided to do it for cosmetic purposes. My reconstruction options are limited due to radiation and I decided that I would like to be "even" rather than have different size breasts if I happen to lose or gain a little weight. The bonus is that I will not ever have to go near that damned mammogram machine again!

God bless us all.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #90
Unregistered

Sorry. I'm in the wrong thread. Mine was NEOadjuvant.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 AM   #91
chrislmelb

Amy, i just signed and posted my documents to receive herceptin and i finished my chemo May 2004. I am on control arm of HERA. My onc basically said if it helps lots of other HER-2 situations it could help in mine. They don't know.
I am in Australia.
ER/PR+ her-2+++ on arimadex, had mastectomy, 3 nodes positive, stage 2B, FECx8.
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #92
amya

Thanks for recommending the site. It's great to have so much information in one place. I'll check out the links you provided. Being in the control arm of my study at the time that I was has put me in somewhat of a void. I'm now trying to figure out just what the best course of action is and what options are available. Thanks again.
amya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #93
annpurdie

HOPE/annpurdie

I was disagnosed in February 2005. I was stage II, lymph node negative, and turmor size 3.2cm. I was estrogen receptor positive, and pre-menopausal. I went through 6 chemo treatments that just ended in June 2005. Now I am considering the herceptin treatment on a weekly basis for a year. I am to begin treatment on October 17, 2005. Please keep me in your prayers. I am strongly encouraged by the bulletins that I have read so far.
annpurdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #94
Laurie61

Smile Hope -Ann

Ann, Our prayers are with you. If you are finished with the chemo, the Herceptin for me was not a big deal and I pray it will not be for you. I trust you have a port, as it make it much easier for access weekly. I too had Herceptin given to me weekly for a year. That was 4.5 years ago and I am still going strong! Good luck on the Herceptin and our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Laurie
Laurie61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #95
AndreaH

Herceptin after chemo ---way after!

Diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer 11/03 -Treated with TAC, then double mastectomy [2 of 12 nodes positive], followed by Radiation - NED since 8/04. I am not in a clinical trial, but my onc and I felt that Herceptin might do the trick in fighting a recurrence - so - I began infusion last week [1x every 3 weeks for 1 year] with few side effects. Since I am more than 1 year beyond chemo, I am in an untested group. We're hoping that it will be the magic bullet for me too. Is there anyone out there in my situation?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:26 AM   #96
MarshaB

Talking reply

http://wcco.com/health/local_story_292145011.html

Here is alink for an interview with myself regarding the news about early stage Hercptin treatment!

bless you!

marshab
Old 10-23-2005, 06:36 AM   #97
Janie

Hi everyone. I was in the arm receivng Herceptin after Taxol. Diagnosed 3/11/04. Began Herceptin November of 2004. Will finish 52 weeks mid November of 2005. Stage 3, ER/PR-, HER+++, 6/19 nodes involved.
No recurrence.

Janie
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #98
sherri

I had Dose Dense AC+Taxotere for 6 cycles from Jan to beg of April, 10 days after the last chemo simple Mastecomy, after 45 days started Radiation every day for 20 days and Herceptin every 3 weeks.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #99
Toubev

I was not on a trial with Herceptin but started it 4 mos after finishing chemo.
Unfortunately for me, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure before I was due to finish my treatment. It was specifically due to the herceptin. I am now with a new onc who is taking a wait & see attitude. This was my 2nd b.c. with a higher rate of recurrence than the first. My 2 yr anniv passed but I was 10 yrs free after the first b.c. Am going for genetic counselling. Hoping meds will get my heart stronger. Not much else you can say. I try not to worry but take each day as a bonus.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #100
Pat

Smile Starting Herceptin

I was in the control arm of -N9831 . Stage IIa, one node involved, 1.4 cm tumor. I am her2+++, er+ . I had 4 a/c followed by 12 weeks of taxol. I am now on Arimidex. My chemo was completed 10/04 and I will start Herceptin next week one year away from the last taxol. Planning on every 3 weeks for the next year.
Pat