HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Faith in Him

Discomfort during MRI

I am going in Friday for a MRI on my good breast. I have a really hard time in the machine. It is enclosed and the noise, even with ear plugs, drives me bonkers. Any suggestions, ladies?
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Patb

My surgeon gave me valium because I am claustrophobic. It helped but
still loud.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Jean

Yes, see my post on Dilon....this could be just perfect for you.
You will have to find out who has the machine near you. Not all hosptials have it. Read the links that I attached to the post.

Best Wishes,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Gerri

Dear Faith in Him,

I had my first breast MRI in September. I was very apprehensive about being in such a tight space for 45 minutes FACE DOWN and it certainly lived up to my 'expectations' - I especially liked the machine gun sound effects. My facility plays music through ear phones, but even that was drowned out by the noise. I wanted to try the first time without any drugs just to see how I would do. I made it through to the end without moving a muscle. I told the technician that the MRI was the WORST thing I had experienced through this entire journey. So, I'm thinking, if this is the WORST that I have gone through, than I have been pretty darn lucky. I get to do it again in April and while I am not looking forward to it I know I will do okay.

My advice: Keep your eyes closed at all times, and your mind focused on ANYTHING except where you are and what you are doing and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. I just kept repeating: Please get me through this.

Best of luck to you,
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Colleen007

I also take Valium beforehand. I have heard of others who have taken Ativan as well. Some places have headphones so you can listen to music, but for some reason, whenever I have had a breast or back MRI, they have my head pointed to the end opposite of where the headphone jack is! In between all the banging, I count forward and backward to 60. The tech usually comes on and tells me "this next part will take X minutes", so the counting helps to figure out how much longer before you can make a slight movement.
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
fauxgypsy

I just close my eyes and try to make the best of it. I make plans for the week, plan paintings, anything that will help keep my mind off of the space I am in. Valium does help some. I felt like I was in the defrost cycle of a microwave. And it was a lot noisier than I expected. I am not sure quite what I expected but it was not that. Just make sure that you are as comfortable as possible, that you are not having to tense up to keep your arms in place, etc.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Mary Anne in TX

It is noisy no matter what! But I use a technique that I learned in a "self-hypnosis" class 30+ years ago. I use it when I'm "beyond afraid", under great stress, or doing a new medical proceedure or surgery, etc. I close my eyes the minute that I lay down and they have me ready to go in because I don't want to give the ol' machine one moment of dominance over my mind! The first few minutes I talk away the temptation to open my eyes and panick and then begin to talk to my feet, legs, body, arms, shoulders, etc. "With every breath I take....I relax deeper and deeper". I just keep repeating the phrase until my body believes it! Usually doesn't take very long! Then I place myself in another setting, usually a beach setting with lots of sunshine, soft breeze, and a cozy lounge chair with a view of the ocean. I "pretend" that the machine noise is killing anything bad around me and that it is relaxing me and making me peaceful. Well, does that sound crazy enough? I've done this for so long in stressful settings, that my body begins to cooperate no matter how much resistance it tries. I used it when I thought I had lost my son to drugs (didn't), my husband was having a heart attack and we were waiting for the ambulance, my dad came over and had a heart attack, well....you know....life!
I don't know if it will do for you what it does for me, but you might try it a few times before. I just don't want to count on drugs and then have them not work for me. Not that I don't take whatever I am given, I just want to be part of the process of being in charge of my insane fears (I have a ton)!
You can do this! Remind yourself of the purpose and that it is "only temporary"! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you on Friday! mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Hello Friend....

I most surely agree with the girls advice thus far. Eyes closed, something to help you relax, pain meds if you will be uncomfortable that way, and most importantly....a focal point. Try to keep those eyes closed and think of something that brings complete joy to your life. Hubby always thinks of Mookie, our Mine Wave cat. At first I said, "You do not think of me??". Of course he said "NO" and we chuckled as I realized how I rate!!! If he visualizes and concentrates, especially with the medication he barely hears the noise. Although I have a powerful mind, I am not that good!! Good luck Sweetie and keep us posted with the results. Prayers are going out to you special.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
StillHere

I have to agree w/ everyone else. I close my eyes and fight the urge to open them until I am out of whatever scan I am enduring. One tip I have for those having whole body PET scans is to ask for a pillow to place under your arms (your arms have to be above your head). The first PET scan all I could think of was the terrible ache in my shoulders. The following PET scan was much easier w/ the addition of 1 Pillow, 1 Percocet, and 1 Ativan (Pls don't drive yourself home). Hope this helps someone. I certainly have used hundreds of tips from you all and always welcome any tidbit you can think of to share. I do plan on using the self-hypnosis next time.
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink YOU NEED A PLAN... Here's mine.

Just like Maryanne, I begin at my toes, feet, ankles, shin bone, calf and work my way up SLOWLY -- relaxing ea body part. one at a time. This includes chin, cheeks, lips, you get it... Then I imagine that I weight 5 tons! LOL. I feel my cement self laying there, then -- I a a feather! I drift up, in to the stratosphere. Able to look down at the whole scene, removed -- The Witness, serene. Then I visit a special place. I like this field with knee high grass and wild flowers of purple, coral, red blowing in the breeze. I am beside a waterfall, strong yet gentle. I hear the water surging and hitting the pond which reflects the magnificent trees surrounding it. The mirror image mesmerizes me. Like a Monet painting... The sun is glorious and sky that heavenly blue. I am in the clouds and on the ground. I bring Andrea Bocelli's Romanze to listen to -- his voice transports me with ease... Everyone at the Imaging Center thanks me for the treat. They play him for ALL to enjoy. I am SOMEPLACE ELSE. Eyes closed. The noise pretty much obliterated. I nap. The noise annoying awakens me from time to time as I drift in reverie. OH, AND I TAKE 1 1/2 ATIVAN THE NIGHT BEFORE. AND 1 1/2 ATIVAN AN HOUR BEFORE W/2 BENEDRYL (TO CONTERACT ANY POSSIBLE ALLERGIC REATION TO THE CONTRAST) -- doc's orders, as I am a panic attack claustrophic. That's my system and it works divinely without incident. I wish the same for you. And good results too. DO NOT DRIVE. GO HOME AND PLAN TO *REST* COMFORTABLY FOR MOST OF THE REST OF THE DAY. I always take the first available appointment...
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
Bev

Ativan for me on the 3rd one. Eyes wide open. I think I'm getting comfortable with it now. Maybe I can do # 4 or 5 on my own. If you do something enough times you are going to be OK with it.

Somewhere on the web you can listen to MRI sounds if it helps. We have had so much thrown at us. I can understand the anxiety. But I think at some point we'll be OK with it. If you're not OK with it this moment, either get the drugs, try the visualization or do a bloody mary lunch.

Remember at any point during the MRI you can say stop

Hang in there, Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
dajawood

Same here. My doctor gave me a valium...helped some. I just keep my eyes closed and try to think of something peaceful. Good luck.
6/30+ auxillary nodes
3/29/07: mets to liver, bones, lungs
Liver mets 40%+
3/29/07: FISH test: ER/PR- and HER-2+++
4/07 - 9/07: Taxotere and Herceptin
9/07 - current: Herceptin and clinical trial
dajawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #13
Faith in Him

Thank you for letting me share my fears. I'm armed with all of your great suggestions, so I am feeling more comfortable about tomorrow. My husband and I went to Maui last month for the first time and without the kids. I think I'll transport myself back there and relive some very sweet moments.

You are all such a caring group of ladies. I feel so at home with all of you.

Hugs.
Radiation until 09/07
05/08 -MRM
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Home

So right Faith. This IS home...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
sassy

Sing!

I take a Ativan, then warn my techs that I will be singing during the procedure. I don't sing very loudly--just loud enough for myself. I treat it like singing in the shower---it helps me get thru. Not sure how well the tech's enjoy it!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #16
Hazel Joyce

I take an Ativan and wear those things that cover your eyes when you're sleeping (like a blindfold). They have some that are cloth with elastic - no metal.
3 cm tumor, 8 cancerous lymph nodes
Grade 3, ER/PR -, HER-2/neu +++ (by FISH, average 20 copies per cell)
A/C x 4, Taxol x 12, Herceptin x 47 weeks
35 radiation treatments
Completed treatment on April 3, 2008
Chest port removed October 2009
11 years since diagnosis NED
Hazel Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #17
Faith in Him

Just wanted to let you know that your suggestions worked. I did the MRI and believe it or not, almost fell asleep. Maybe it was the anxiety pill I took but in any event, it went well. So thank you again.

Now, the waiting part. I am afraid to answer the phone until after Thanksgiving. Just one more day.
Radiation until 09/07
05/08 -MRM
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
Bev

Glad to hear it went fine. I didn't hear for 2 weeks, but my latest theory is it's good if you don't hear from them.

Best wishes, Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #19
Faith in Him

Just wanted to share that I got the all clear on the MRI. I learned the news yesterday but waited until Thanksgiving to share with my family.

Thank you again for all your suggestions. You guys are the best.

Hugs
Radiation until 09/07
05/08 -MRM
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #20
lexigirl

Awesome News!! I am so happy and relieved for you! Thank you Lord!

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote