HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Next week is my booster visit

Hello all,

Its a great holiday season for me. I am flying out to San Antonio for my GPII booster next week.

Thanksgiving marks 4 years since I was diagnosed. I continue enjoying life NED - I have much to be grateful for.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
pennyvphoto

Re: Next week is my booster visit

good Luck lizbeth,and lets hope these vaccines make a difference.
pennyvphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Sandra in GA

I'm thinking this is your last booster! Is this correct? I am very happy for you 'lizbeth.
Your vaccine buddy,
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
bbradley9

Hi, just read your post on the booster and that you were flying to San Antonio, well i was offered a clinical trail for reacurrance, and have not made a decision as of yet, I live here in SA. The booster that I was offered is call the E-75.
bbradley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Candy Jacobson

Clinical trials. I have an oportunity to be in a clinical trial. I have lots of fears because it is outside of my comfort zone. I mean, what is the guarantee this actually works, and for how long? I mean isn't her2 positive a bad prognosis for outcomes?Candy
Candy Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Sandra in GA

Hi Candy,
I have actualy been involved in two trials. The first was a stage II trial involving adding lapatinib (Tykerb) to my Herceptin. The second was the EA 37 vaccine trial. Special permission had to be granted from Mayo for me to participate in the second.

Having said that, yes, HER2+ breast cancer is very aggressive and in the past had a very poor prognosis. With Herceptin and now other targeted antibodies and vaccines, people are living disease free much longer. The reason you cannot find data on this is those of us involved in trials and new treatments are making the statistics day by day. This information will not be availiable for several more years as data is collected.

Before I began my first trial I did read where trial participants fare better than those not in trials. The reasoning behind this was that these patients are followed more closely and therefore recieve treatment for recurrances in earlier stages. There are no guarantees but phase I trials establish if an agent actually works. Stage II trials are usually designed to determine safety and dosage. Stage III trials compare the effectiveness of the new treatment against standard treatment.

Everyone has to make their own decisions. However, I do advise you to ask many questions and read as much as you can before making that possible life extending decision.

Hugs,
Sandra
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
'lizbeth

When you make a decision about a clinical trial - its not just your experience, but the experience of women in the future that will be affected. The more that participate in a current trial, the faster the clinical trial will be completed. The greater opportunity for better treatments in the future with milder side effects.

I highly recommend the E75 trial and the AE37 or GP2 vaccine trial. There are other vaccines as well.

Gather the information, ask questions, enroll.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
karen z

Thanks for the happy post. I needed that this morning !
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote