HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
StephN

New mammo guides - more pushback

I was hoping that this "news" would not be swallowed hook, line and sinker by ALL the breast cancer treatment and advocacy groups. Thankfully some others are coming out today with their views that there are major flaws and could border on political plotting, costing many young lives.

Komen is one.

Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is another joining MD Anderson in balking against the latest guides published yesterday. They are holding with a major national cancer organization's current recommendations, which vary slightly from the NCI's.

I hope these major disagreements will help keep insurance coverage for the screenings that younger women need. Next, I hope that the government panel that committed this idiocy will back peddle and perform another study without the eye on the dollar and refocused on real patients and their needs, and will include cancer professionals on the panel, AND a peer review before release.

Keep up the outcry!!

Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Radiology Director Responds To New Mammography Screening Recommendations

Article Date: 17 Nov 2009 - 9:00 PST

www.SeattleCCA.org

Following is a statement by Constance Lehman, M.D., PhD, medical director of radiology and director of breast imaging, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance; and professor and vice chair of radiology, University of Washington School of Medicine. The statement is in response to new breast cancer mammography screening guideline recommendations announced today by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Among others, the task force said that screening mammography should not be done routinely for women age 40 to 49 years, that mammography should be performed every two years rather than every year for women ages 50-74 and that women should not be routinely screened after age 75.

"Women need a clear message: early detection offers a woman the best chance for a cure, and mammography is essential for early detection of breast cancer.

The Seattle Cancer Care Alliance continues to support annual screening mammograms for women beginning at age 40 as does the American Cancer Society. In fact, according to the ACS, 17 percent of breast cancer deaths in 2006 were among women who were diagnosed between ages 40 and 49.

"We know that digital mammography significantly improves the detection of cancer in young women and in women with dense breast tissue. These well-documented facts are not included in the analyses that led to the change in recommendations. It is important that women receive their mammograms at centers with the ability to provide high quality exams and that all women understand the importance of mammography for the early detection of breast cancer.

"Failing to identify those women in their 40s with cancer and having them wait until they are screened at age 50 is a disservice. By then breast cancer can be advanced and more difficult to treat."

Following are the American Cancer Society's breast cancer screening guidelines:

- Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.

- Clinical breast exam (CBE) should be part of a periodic health exam, about every three years for women in their 20s and 30s and every year for women 40 and over.

- Women should know how their breasts normally feel and report any breast change promptly to their health care providers. Breast self-exam (BSE) is an option for women starting in their 20s.

- Women at high risk (greater than 20 percent lifetime risk) should get an MRI and a mammogram every year. Women at moderately increased risk (15 percent to 20 percent lifetime risk) should talk with their doctors about the benefits and limitations of adding MRI screening to their yearly mammogram. Yearly MRI screening is not recommended for women whose lifetime risk of breast cancer is less than 15 percent.

Source
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 11-17-2009 at 02:17 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote