HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #21
MagnoliaforJenny

I'm not impressed either, trust me. I'm VERY skeptical of the health care profession in general. I've had my share of health issues and I have yet to find a Doc here that I really trust. I've just recently dropped my gyn. simply because he's messed me up more times than I can count. I just don't trust many docs anymore. Yes, I'm skeptical, and if i get a cancer diagnosis this is the last place I'll seek treatment.

That being said, Jenny is not one to be skeptical. She was born and raised here, her family is here and it just would be out of the question for her to consider going somewhere else for another opinion. I will do my best to persuade her but I doubt it will do any good.

I think you have pointed out exactly what has been in the back of my mind, she's just not receiving the best treatment she could be.

Now she swears they scanned her, did all the bloodwork etc. before they took her off of treatment. Three months later she has the mets? I don't quite believe it either.

I also don't want to make things harder for her so I won't argue with her. I do hope she will be willing to listen though.

MagnoliaforJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #22
Bev

Hi Mag,

Going back to Sherry's post. ER/Pr negs tend to recur faster than ER/PR pos. I think if you could post her whole path report, you might get more insight.

For early stage BC, my 3 opinions were unanimous. With certain profiles it's clear what to do. With Stage 4, it might not be so clear. That's where posting her path comes in.

It's so nice of you to help. I think Jenny has lot's of drugs to try to make her well, not fun but do-able. Hang in there. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #23
MagnoliaforJenny

Hi Bev

Her cancer is not hormonal driven, I think that's what you are asking anyway. I wish I had a path report, I'll try to get that.

I just want to make SURE she is getting all the best treatment she can get right now.

Everyone here is such an inspiration and proof that this thing can be controlled, and a good life can be lived Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #24
BonnieR

Jenny's friend. Going somewhere else for a second opinion does not mean that she has to go there for treatment. Just to get another take on the situation. It is part of being informed and very commonly done and she owes it to herself.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
tousled1

Magnolia,

I finished my original treatment (including Herceptin) April 20, 2007 and I was diagnosed with a single brain met and mets to the lungs in July 2007. So you see, I metastisized very quickly as well. I had very aggressive treatment and there was nothing more that I could have done to prevent the mets. Some of us will gets mets and others won't. Hang in there. You're doing a great job in being Jenny's advocate. She's fortunate to have such a good friend.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #26
Monica

Hi Magnolia,
I'm wondering if Jenny is afraid that she will offend her doctor if she gets a second opinion. Maybe she doesn't want him to think that she doesn't trust him. I would suggest that Jenny asks her doctor his thoughts about getting another opinion. She could say, "I feel very fortunate in having you as my doctor. I have heard from a friend it's standard procedure to get a second opinion. What do you think?" Any good doctor will say she absolutely should.

Like many others have said, Jenny is lucky to have you as such a caring friend.

Best,
Monica

Dx Nov 2003 HER2+++, ER+, PR+
1.7 cm. left breast, Grade 3, Two nodes out of six, stage IIA
Mastectomy right side
Lumpectomy left side
4 A/C, 4 Taxol plus 49 weeks herceptin
Radiation on left side
No tamoxifen or other hormonal drugs
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #27
MagnoliaforJenny

I plan on talking with Jenny tonight and asking some questions that I'd not thought of asking, thanks to you guys

After I've thought about this for a bit, emotionally? I am a very good friend, to a few precious people in my life. I find myself wondering "who would be there for ME if something like this were to happen".....the answer is probably no one. My husband and my daughter, but really no one. I find that the vast majority of the population are so self centered they can't see past their own daily lives to be bothered with the "uglies" of someone else's life.

I know I've divulged that I've had MANY health problems, none of them as serious as cancer mind you, but many issues, many botched surgeries and mis-diagnosis. Once when I had severe internal bleeding from a surgery, Jenny was the one here, holding my hand, knowing how scared I was. The rest of my friends, family, acquaintances just run the other way when they just don't know what to do or say anymore. Anyway, I'll be there for her and just hope that one day if needed, someone will be here for me.

Now that I think about it, I have calcifications that have been biopsied and marked so each time I go in for a mammogram, I get a bit uneasy. I have a lymph node under that same arm pit that gets sore and swells at times. I worry, ask questions, get my mammograms, knowing that I have bc history in my family. I hope it doesn't happen to me, but it could. So, yeah, I'm a good friend but I'm not so sure it's all for selfless reasons. I get scared too.

I'll say it again, you ladies are amazing and so very inspirational. I really feel privileged to be allowed to peek into your private world. I pray for and think of you all, even if I don't post about it.