HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
Marlys

I will not give up. I will divide the file into 3 parts.
File 2 and 3 should be reversed.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lime Grilled Chicken2.doc (19.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: doc Lime grilled chicken3.doc (19.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: doc Lime Grilled Chicken1.doc (19.0 KB, 195 views)
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
ita

why didn't we think about this before

You ladies are awesome. Dinner is the biggest roadblock of my day, everyday. I don't mind cooking at all, it's the planning that kills me. I can't thank you enough. I'll be sure to include my own recipe to add to the list soon. Right now I gotta go to my kids soccer practice.

You girls ROCK!!
Ita
ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
Becky

Lentil Casserole

1 medium onion diced
1 bell pepper (any color) diced
8-10 fresh mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Bay leaves
2 teaspoons cinnamin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (14 - 17 oz can)
2/3 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups broth (can be chicken or vegetable - I use boullion cubes)
8 oz red or brown lentils (red makes a creamier "sauce" whereas brown lentils hold their shape)
8oz of elbow macaroni (or other similar shaped type - small shells)
1 1/2 cups of flavored white sauce (recipe below)
2 eggs
3/4 c strongly flavored shredded cheese (extra sharp cheddar, Monterray Jack)

Saute onion, pepper and mushrooms in olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes, wine, broth, spices, bay leaves and rinsed lentils. Stir well and bring to boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer about 45 minutes until liquid is absorbed. (Sometimes, for me, this happens too quickly and I need to add more broth because the lentils (especially the brown lentils) are not soft. This does not happen with red lentils. I have never tried green lentils). Cook pasta to package directions.

Flavored White Sauce

Melt 5 tablespoons butter. When hot and bubbly, add 6 tablespoons flour. When well mixed, slowly add 1 1/2 cups milk whisking well. Add 2 teaspoons cinnamon (yes more! it is the secret ingredient. Its wildly outrageous in food that isn't sweet. 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 tsp onion powder or onion salt, 1/2 teaspoon salt (only if you use onion powder - not needed if you use onion salt) and a dash of pepper. Cook until bubbly and thickened. Take off heat.

Beat eggs with fork in small bowl. While beating, add tablespoons full of white sauce to "heat up" the eggs slowly. Then add eggs to white sauce whisking wildly.

Butter or spray with cooking spray a 13 X 9 pan. Add pasta and top with lentil mixture (fish out the bay leaves first or someone gets a surprise). Top pasta/lentil mixture with flavored white sauce/egg. Top all with shredded cheese (you can lighten this by not using cheese or just mixing the lentils and pasta hot and you're good to go). Bake at 350 about 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbly. You can premake this whole thing and put it in the frig but then you have to bake it longer since its cold.

An alternative is to make lasagna noodles and use the lentil mix (you will need to make more lentil mix than this recipe calls for) like red sauce and only use the cheese (no riotta) and layer (noodles, lentils, cheese, noodles, lentils,cheese). Add white sauce on top and cheese - bake. Serve with green salad and/or broccoli and a nice bread if you are having company or want bread too.

It takes time to prepare so it is a weekend thing but it reheats in the microwave well for a second go around another day.

This is one of my secret recipes for you

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #24
BonnieR

Becky, that sounds delicious but I am exhausted just reading the directions! It was all I could do to get to the grocery store today for simple things. I look forward to the time when I have the energy to prepare something from scratch again. You are an inspiration and a reminder that it DOES get better and we can eventually resume doing the normal things that we enjoy.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #25
lilyecuadorian

tonigh I just make a hot dog (organics) and passion fruit juice ..
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #26
fauxgypsy

Pink girl. you made me laugh: if Dale wasn't here I would not eat as well as I do. His mother made me an awesome coconut cake for my birthday last week and I have to confess that I had coconut cake at least once for breakfast. Night before last I sauteed mushrooms in olive oil, until they were just soft, took them up, added shrimp to the remainder of the oil, briefly sauteed it, crushed a garlic clove into this, added a quart of home canned marinara sauce, the mushrooms and a small can of tomato paste and simmered it for a little while. I served it over whole wheat pasta, with a tossed salad and a slice of whole wheat artisan bread. For breakfast Dale had oatmeal and I had eggs scrambled with a bit of cheddar served with a little chorizo left over from our Mississippi Mexican meal (Miss-Mex versus tex-Mex) a couple of days ago and a couple of corn tortillas, all topped with homemade salsa (this is not my typical breakfast, sometimes I will have cream cheese with sweet chile sauce on whole grain crackers or a grilled cheese sandwich.) For lunch we had tuna salad on whole wheat. Dale grilled country style ribs tonight (have I ever mentioned that he competed in the Memphis in May barbeque competition and once his sauce came in second place), and we shared a baked potato and a salad. We have been on a salad kick the last few days. after supper I had my omega three enriched orange juice with my nasty liquid potassium.
I am looking forward to fresh veggies from our fall garden, we have beets, kale, swiss chard, mustard, turnip, leaf and head lettuce, red onions, English peas, sugar snap peas, and carrots up and growing. I am trying my version of Square Foot Gardening, a lot in a small space. I hope we can keep the deer and armadillos out of them and that we start getting some rain. We have been enjoying tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers until the heat got them. Lots of fresh herbs.
We both enjoy cooking and gardening. It seems like one or the other of us has been sick all summer but we managed to do a lot in spite of everything. Friends gave us a lot of produce as well and our freezer is pretty full. It helps so much that we both can cook. Dale's mother had six boys and they all can cook.
Back in the summer, Dale's back was really bad, and I was still getting the TCH. I had pickles that needed slicing so bad and I was so tired. I slipped into the kitchen determined to get those pickles done. I stood there at my chopping block and started slicing them. There were so many of them and I had always sliced them myself. I stood there for a few minutes, looking at the clock, trying to figure out where I would get the energy for the task. All of a sudden I thought to myself, 'you idiot, use the food processor." My pickles are thinner this year but at least I have pickles. The minute Dale heard the processor, he came to the kitchen and helped with them.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #27
fauxgypsy

Lily, I have been making Pico de Gallo all summer with our tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. I chop roughly equal amounts of tomato and onion finely but not in a food processer, it gets mushy then. I add pressed garlic, finely chopped cilantro to taste, a small amount of very finely minced jalapeno pepper, no seeds, lemon or lime juice, and salt. If I have avacados on hand I will use some of it to add to mashed avacades to make quacamole. I can eat this by itself.
I have also been working my way through a cookbook of international vegetable recipes. It has been interesting to try vegetables with different seasoning and in different ways. One our favorites has been a recipe with yellow and zuchinni squash seasoned with lemon, cumin, and paprika, cooked just crisp tender and served at room temp. Being from the South my first thought with squash is to add onion, a little bacon, black pepper and salt and smother it in an iron skillet until it melts in your mouth. It is just nice to approach vegetables from a different direction.

Leslie
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #28
lilyecuadorian

Leslie I think pico de gallo is from nicaragua ...and just give me another idea ,I forgot about that one bean and rice with some chop onions ...you can add yucca (like potatos) and chicken or ribs really pico de gallo you can mix with everything
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #29
fauxgypsy

Lily, tonight we are having another version of South of the Border. Locally made chorizo from locally grown pigs. Not very high in fat compared to commercial chorizo. Browned, seasoned with a little more cumin, black beans added. Served with homemade salsa and mixed salad with avacado. And corn tortillas.

Leslie
Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #30
lilyecuadorian

today I just open a can tuna in olive oil and I add some lime juice and grate red onions with rice....with guayaba juice ....Leslie you just remind me about black beans is good and healthy ....thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #31
Sheila

Pink Girl
I love your dinner!!!! I guess I am bad too, made a huge bowl (12 Avacados) of Guacamole then ate 1/3 of it with fresh tortilla chips from the Mexican Store.....YUM! Off to get the tums for my heartburn!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 AM   #32
janet/FL

Lilly,
Thank you so much for starting this, (I jsut saw it this morning). I have been eating just horribly the past few months and last night was my start to a better diet. My problem is I hate to cook. Particularly since my DH and I are on a different diet plan, he is diabetic, and does not like many of the foods we could eat together. Such as salmon & broccoli. He gets tired of good food after eating it once or twice, such as a tuna fish sandwich. He does like salads. I get tired of those! Right now, he is not hungry and really doesn't want to eat anything. Got to get him to the doctor!

Last night, I decided to fix a salad. DH just had a tooth pulled so wasn't eating. I used organic mixed greens, chopped organic carrots, chopped onion and fresh chopped garlic. Since I don't like salads and the types of salad dressing I like aren't good for me, I took one that I do like, a ranch dressing, and put lots of milk in it to really thin it out. I poured that on the salad. The salad was very good--until the fresh garlic and onion got to me! I added cottage cheese to try to cut the very strong taste and managed to get it down.

With the inspiration of this group, I hope to greatly improve my diet and cooking skills.

This morning, I am having organic V-8 juice. Then organic blueberries with Ezechiel flax cereal.

For those of you near a Costco, they now have organic ground beef and are trying to get in a lot more organic veggies and meat.
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #33
madubois63

Sheila - we should get together for margaritas!!

I think I'll do mexican tonight. Thanks for the idea. My son went upstate to check out colleges and visit a friend, so it's just me and my daughter tonight. She loves tacos but doesn't eat beef, so I use turkey chop meat (and actually like them better than beef). I have to make fresh salsa and won't forget the guacamole!!! Yum - can't wait for dinner...

Last night, I went to a focus group for my cancer center. Gave praise and critisisms about the way they run things. The center moved from the hospital to it's own building and is fairly new. They really did a great job. The staff is amazing and all in all, none of us had anything really bad to say about the place - mostly suggestions. What does this have to do with food? Well, they served a "light" dinner for us. Besides salad and a huge fruit tray, they had a tray of chicken in a Tai peanut sauce (really yummy), scewers of sun dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes and fresh mozzerella (very yummy) and grilled marinated shrimp (even more yummy). I expected the standard potato salad and cold cuts, but this was really great. There was a lot left over, so we all took some home. My son ate some, and I get to have the rest for lunch...
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #34
Sandy in Silicon Valley

vegetarian (non-organic) lunch/dinner recipe

I like this thread - Thanks, Lily! I love cooking & baking, even though it doesn't really make me forget that I have metastasized bc - nor do I especially see that as a goal.

It seems like the recipes & menus so far suggested are mostly Central/South American cuisine, which my pepper-loving husband and I love and make often.

My husband is vegetarian, and makes awesome enchiladas, chiliquiles, margheritas, loaded nachos; I'm the guacamole-maker - together, we've even tried our hand at homemade veggie tamales!

After a trip to Cancun & Merida, Mexico, during Dias de Independencia, we started making corn on the cob the way the locals there do, rubbed with fresh lime & then generously sprinkled with sea salt & ground chili pepper... YUM!

But I wanted to add a SE Asian dish - Pad Thai - in a vegetarian version. It has a number of steps, but it's really quick and easy, once the ingredients are assembled and prepared for cooking in a wok or deep frypan.

PAD THAI PAD THAI

1/2 pound dried rice noodles, 1/8 inch wide
Hot Water
1/2 pound tofu or fake meat (like Morningstar Farms' MealMakers "chicken" or "beef" strips)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup + 2 tblsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup + 2 tblsp white vinegar
1 tsp paprika
4 green onions
1/2 cup vegetable oil (more if needed for step six)
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 eggs
3/4 pound bean sprouts
ground roasted chiles or good chili powder
ground roasted peanuts
Lime wedges

Soak noodles for 20-25 minutes in enough warm water to cover them. They should be flexible and soft, but not so soft that they can be mashed easily with the fingers. Later cooking in liquid will soften them more. Drain them throughly in a colander while preparing the other ingredients. Traditionally they are left in full-length strands, but you may cut them into 8 inch lengths if you find it easier to stir-fry then that way.

Cube the tofu and/or veggie meat in ½ inch dice.

Mix the soysauce, sugar, vinegar, and paprika in a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.

Slice green onions both the green and white parts, diagonally into 1-1/2 inch long pieces. Set aside.

Heat a wok, add the oil and swirl over the surface. Add the garlic and stir fry until light golden. Add the tofu and/or veggie meat and stir fry until glazed and heated. Add the noodles and toss lightly to coat with oil, add the "meat" and garlic ( I often do this in a larger pot since things tend to come out of the wok).

Add the liquid from step 3 and bring it to a boil rapidly, gently folding the noodles without breaking them. Reduce heat to medium and boil the mixture, folding frequently until the noodles have absorbed the liquid (a pasta server works great for this step).

Lift the noodles gently from one side of the wok. Pour a little oil along the side of the wok, then break the egg ad slip it into the oil. Break the yolk and cover the egg with the noodles immediately. Repeat this on the opposite side with the other egg. Allow eggs to cook undisturbed, over moderate heat until they are set and almost dry. Additional oil may by added if the eggs or the noodles begin to stick to the wok.

When the eggs are set and almost dry, fold them gently but rapidly into the noodles. Try not to break the noodles, which will be soft and fragile at this point. An effective way is to insert the scoop under the eggs, lift it through, and fold the mixture over. Continue the lifting and folding motion until the eggs are broken up and well distributed.

Add the green onions (and bean sprouts if you prefer them mixed in) and toss the entire mixture quickly and gently, stll avoiding breaking the noodles. Cook for about 2 minutes or until onions are tender.

Take a large platter spread with bean sprouts(if you left them out above). Spread Pad Thai from wok over top. Sprinkle ground chilies(see note) and ground peanuts over the top and squeeze lime over the top. Or serve toppings seperately for each diner to add according to taste.
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #35
fauxgypsy

We went southern all the way yesterday. We had Cranberry beans. I chopped a half slice of locally made bacon, sauteed it with some finely chopped carrots, onion and garlic, put it all in the crockpot with the beans and cooked it all day. I would have added celery but I was out. Then I indulged myself and served it with fried potatoes, not french fries, fried until they are soft, and crispy, almost scrambled. I only do the fried potatoes a couple of times a year but I love them. Served it all up with sweet banana peppers from the garden, sliced onion, and hot corn bread. I have eaten healthier but not much better.

Leslie
Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #36
lilyecuadorian

well I eat today for lunch just a green lime soup , I open a green lime can and put it to boil with water and add some chesse and little of milk and 1 egg ...some salt a pepper and serve with rice ...I love rice LOL and passion fruit juice and for dinner grill one plantain and after it was cook for 30 min I eat with some cheese and a little of peanut butter ....and again some passion fruit juice
Old 10-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #37
Sandy in Silicon Valley

what is green lime in a can, and where can I get it?

Hola, Lily!

Your green lime soup lunch sounds yummy - but I'm unfamiliar with green lime in a can... is it whole preserved limes, or lime syrup/juice? Where can I get some - what brands do you know of?

On a reality note: sometimes I'm just lazy, and eat whatever is around. This morning's breakfast was coffee with whole milk, an oatmeal/choc chip/raisin/ walnut/coconut cookie I made the other day, and about 1/2 cup of pasta/ veggies/ vodka-tomato sauce/ cheese casserole left from last night - cold! Not the healthiest b-fast ever, but very yummy and filling...

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #38
StephN

Lamb burgers

Guess I will chime in here after reading all the great food ideas and recipes.
Our power was out on Thurday night here (fierce wind storm) and we had to go towards town to find a restaurant with power. Back on by morning, thank the Good Lord. Had Yakisoba and tea.

I only buy ground beef from a beef grower that comes to the farmer's market. It is SO good and flash frozen right after packing. I also get top sirloin steak from him that is SO tender for grass fed and low fat.

When I am tired or it is hot (in summer) I fix ground lamb (natural raised from southern Oregon - just ground in front of me). Last night I added a touch of curry, some onion, pinch of garlic granules, and a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce. Had those patties on whole wheat buns from one of the organic bakeries in the islands here. I had a little slice of real Swiss cheese on mine.

Cubed up half an eggplant and added the last of my little patio tomatoes with generous dollup of organic olive oil and herbs of Provence.

Naturally we had some (3) samples of just arrived Bordeaux to try. Interesting to see how the wine from the same producers will change a bit from vintage to vintage. Our favorite was from a property new to our market.

Ended with sharing a Comice Pear from one of our trees. We harvested about a week ago. So juicy and sweet!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #39
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Yummyyyyy!!

I ate chocolate and nuts for dinner, healthy huh?? It surely gave me the comfort that I thrived to find last night. Not my normal eating pattern but I did like the freedom of rebelling!!! I am a rebel WITH a cause..tehehe!!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #40
PinkGirl

last night's supper

I didn't eat supper last night. But, before supper and after supper, I ate
Hallowe'en candy.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation