HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
TriciaK

To Anne, our dentist: Biosulphonates and osteonecrosis

Dear Anne, I was given the biosulphonate zometa for about 5 times just before I finished herceptin two years ago. Now I understand that most bone meds like this, including boniva and others like it, can cause a serious condition known as osteonecrosis or "jaw bone death" in case of dental work such as extractions. I have a tooth needing to be extracted and don't know what to do. Could only 5 injections of zometa be dangerous and possibly cause osteonecrosis ? What would you as a dentist suggest I do? I don't want to put you on the spot, but decided to post this rather than send it privately because there may be others searching for answers, too. If you would rather, you can reply privately to pairadox1@beyondbb.com. I appreciate any information you may be able to give on this subject as it really has me worried. Thank you! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Soccermom

Dear Tricia,
I was at the dentist just today and was discussing this with the hygenist. I am on Boniva, but didn;t see it on the list of culprits for osteonecrosis of the jaw...Aredia,Zometa and Fosomax were included.
Thanks for posting this Tricia. I hope you get the answers you need!
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
anne2

Smile

Hi Tricia,
How are you??
Your question is something that is on a lot of patients minds. Although I can't give you personal advice, the recent recommenations from ADA is that all patients who have had previous tx with biophosphonates seriously consider not having any oral surgery. You need to see an oral surgeon to determine your risk of necrosis of your jaw bone after extraction.
You can email me your specifics if you want me to look at your tooth. Is there any alternative treatments to extracting the tooth. There is also something called hyperbaric therapy to prevent and manage the osteonecrosis of the jaw. My suggestion would be to get multiple opinions and go to someone who is very knowledgeable about this.
You can send me an email at saxenachetana@yahoo.com if you need any more info.
Good luck,
Anne
anne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
dchips1

I have necrosis

I had a root canal in March and they nicked the tori in the bottom of my mouth, it left a sore that would not heal and wound up a big mess. Nothing seemed to help and then I did 30 hyperbaric dives and vitamins coq10 c e and I only have 1 tiny area of healthy exposed bone. I thought I would lose all my lower left teeth one additional "gentle " root canal my jaw is stable. Marx protocal for hyperbaric dives has shoen to reduce the risk. 20-30 dives prior to extraction then 10 post extraction. My damage was from steroids/18 months zometa/ whole brain radiation. But you need to try to save the tooth if at all possible and that they are atraumatic as possible. I have a mouth full of braces/bite plate but the are attached to my own teeth!!!!! Goodluck Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

Darita, you bee'z amazing girl!!!

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
suzan w

Thank you Tricia for asking this, and Anne for your answer. I have just asked my dentist the same thing, and my doctor, and oncologist...it is an issue that needs explaining!!! I got vague answers from everyone that I asked.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
Cathya

Tricia;

Thank you so much for posting. I also need to have a tooth removed at the back of my mouth and am very concerned. I have been on actonel for 2 years and worry about the impact of this surgery. I have been referred to the same oral surgeon who removed my kids wisdom teeth but still.......

Happy Holidays,

Cathy

Diagnosed Oct. 2004 3 cm ductal, lumpectomy Nov. 2004
Diagnosed Jan. 2005 tumor in supraclavicular node
Stage 3c, Grade 3, ER/PR+, Her2++
4 AC, 4 Taxol, Radiation, Arimidex, Actonel
Herceptin for 9 months until Muga dropped and heart enlarged
Restarting herceptin weekly after 4 months off
Stopped herceptin after four weekly treatments....score dropped to 41
Finished 6 years Arimidex
May 2015 diagnosed with ovarian cancer
Stage 1C
started 6 treatments of carboplatin/taxol
Genetic testing show BRCA1 VUS
Nice! My hair came back really curly. Hope it lasts lol. Well it didn't but I liked it so I'm now a perm lady
29 March 2018 Lung biopsy following chest CT showing tumours in pleura of left lung, waiting for results to the question bc or ovarian
April 20, 2018 BC mets confirmed, ER/PR+ now Her2-
Questions about the possibility of ovarian spread and mets to bones so will be tested and monitored for these.
To begin new drug Palbociclib (Ibrance) along with Letrozole May, 2018.
Genetic testing of ovarian tumour and this new lung met will take months.
To see geneticist to be retested for BRCA this week....still BRCA VUS
CA125 has declined from 359 to 12 as of Aug.23/18

Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
KristinSchwick

Re: To Anne, our dentist: Biosulphonates and osteonecrosis

So I have not had any problems with my teeth during my treatments (Xgeva/denosumab) for almost 2 years. No cavities, no extractions. But for the past 3 days, I've had some tooth pain- and I'm worried that it could be ONJ.

I just had a brain MRI, that showed a perfectly healthy brain- but I'm wondering if they looked carefully at my jaw too. I know if it was super obvious they'd probably see ONJ, but would they see a really small area of ONJ? Also do the routine X-Rays done during dental exams pick up ONJ? Thanks,
Kristin
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Lien

I didn't take biphosphonates as I have lots of jaw issues already. 6 months ago my Dad was prescribed bisphosphonates, so we looked into the ONJ problems. We found that a small percentage of bisphosphonate users developed problems. Here in the Netherlands there's a specific protocol for dentists to use when they treat patients who have been taking bp's.

According to this article ([PDF]
AAOMS Position Paper on Bisphosphonate-Related Osteonecrosis of
http://www.aaoms.org/docs/position_p...onj_update.pdf)

the incidence of ONJ problems is up to 12% in IV bisphosphonate users and less than 1% in oral bisphosphonate users.

Quote:

Based on available data, the risk of BRONJ for patients receiving IV bisphosphonates is significantly greater than the risk for patients receiving oral bisphosphonates. Regardless, given the large number of patients receiving oral bisphosphonates for the treatment of osteoporosis/osteopenia it is likely that most practitioners may encounter some patients with BRONJ. It is important to determine accurately the incidence of BRONJ in this population and to assess the risk associated with long-term use, i.e., greater than 3 years, of oral bisphosphonates. The low prevalence of BRONJ in osteoporosis patients poses a significant challenge for future clinical trials aimed at establishing accurate incidence data.
Risk factors
In the original Position Paper BRONJ risks were categorized as drug-related, local, and demographic or systemic factors. 1 Other medications, such as steroids, thalidomide, and other chemotherapeutic agents were thought to be risk factors, but no measurable associations were identified. Subsequently, two new sets of factors, genetic and preventative, are available to report.
I. Drug-related risk factors include: ®
A. Bisphosphonate potency: zoledronate (Zometa ) is more potent than pamidronate
(Aredia®) and pamidronate (Aredia®) is more potent than the oral bisphosphonates; the IV route of administration results in a greater drug exposure than the oral route. 37-38, 45, 52 Using a number of different risk measures, the BRONJ risk among cancer patients given IV bisphosphonate exposure ranged from 2.7 to 4.2, suggesting that cancer patients receiving IV bisphosphonates have a 2.7 to 4.2-fold increased risk for BRONJ than cancer patients not exposed to IV bisphosphonates. 37, 53
B. Duration of therapy: longer duration appears to be associated with increased risk. 38, 45
II. Local risk factors include: 37, 45, 52 A. Dentoalveolar surgery, including, but not limited to
1. Extractions
2. Dental implant placement
3. Periapical surgery
4. Periodontal surgery involving osseous injury
In the original Position Paper, local factors such as dentoalveolar procedures, local anatomic structures, e.g., tori, and concomitant dental disease were hypothesized to increase the risk for BRONJ in the setting of IV bisphosphonate exposure. 1 Patients receiving IV bisphosphonates and undergoing dentoalveolar surgery are at least seven
times more likely to develop BRONJ than patients who are not having dentoalveolar surgery. 45, 52 In the setting of IV bisphosphonate exposure, four studies reported that dentoalveolar procedures or concomitant dental disease increased the risk for BRONJ between 5.3 (odds ratio) to 21 (relative risk). 37, 52, 54-55 In other words, cancer patients treated with IV bisphosphonates who undergo dentoalveolar procedures have a 5 to 21- fold increased risk for BRONJ than cancer patients treated with IV bisphosphonates who do not undergo dentoalveolar procedures.
B. Localanatomy
a.
b.
a.
Mandible Lingual tori Mylohyoid ridge Maxilla
Palatal tori
It has been observed that lesions are found more commonly in the mandible than the maxilla (2:1 ratio) and more commonly in areas with thin mucosa overlying bony prominences such as tori, bony exostoses and the mylohyoid ridge. 24, 26, 56 No data are available to provide risk estimates for anatomic structures and BRONJ.
C. Concomitantoraldisease
Cancer patients exposed to IV bisphosphonates with a history of inflammatory dental disease, e.g., periodontal and dental abscesses, are at a seven-fold increased risk for developing BRONJ. 45

Treatment plans:

The risk of developing BRONJ associated with oral bisphosphonates, while exceedingly small, appears to increase when the duration of therapy exceeds three years. This time frame may be shortened in the presence of certain comorbidities, such as chronic corticosteroid use. If systemic conditions permit, the clinician may consider discontinuation of oral bisphosphonates for a period of three months prior to and three months following elective invasive dental surgery in order to lower the risk of BRONJ. The rationale for this approach is based on extrapolated data that demonstrate fluctuations of osteoclast function, which is related to bisphosphonate therapy, and recent outcomes studies that show improved outcome of BRONJ treatment with drug cessation. 61-64 Long-term, prospective studies are required to establish the efficacy of drug holidays in reducing the risk of BRONJ for patients receiving oral bisphosphonates. The risk
reduction may vary depending on the duration of bisphosphonate exposure. Modification or cessation of oral bisphosphonate therapy should be done in consultation with the treating physician and the patient.
Treatment Goals
The major goals of treatment for patients at risk of developing or who have BRONJ are:  Prioritization and support of continued oncologic treatment in patients receiving IV
bisphosphonates.
o Oncology patients can benefit greatly from the therapeutic effect of bisphosphonates by
controlling bone pain and reducing the incidence of other skeletal complications.
 Preservation of quality of life through: o Patient education and reassurance o Control of pain
o Control of secondary infection
o Prevention of extension of lesion and development of new areas of necrosis

And some more:

D. Patients with BRONJ
The treatment objectives for patients with an established diagnosis of BRONJ are to eliminate pain, control infection of the soft and hard tissue, and minimize the progression or occurrence of bone necrosis.
These patients respond less predictably to the established surgical treatment algorithms for osteomyelitis or osteoradionecrosis. Surgical debridement has been variably effective in eradicating the necrotic bone. 22-24, 29 It may be difficult to obtain a surgical margin
with viable bleeding bone as the entire jawbone has been exposed to the pharmacologic influence of the bisphosphonate. Therefore, surgical treatment should be delayed if possible and reserved for those patients with stage 3 disease or in those cases with well- defined sequestrum. Areas of necrotic bone that are a constant source of soft tissue irritation should be removed or recontoured without exposure of additional bone. Loose segments of bony sequestrum should be removed without exposing uninvolved bone. 70 The extraction of symptomatic teeth within exposed, necrotic bone should be considered, since it appears unlikely that the extraction will exacerbate the established necrotic process.
Patients with established BRONJ should avoid elective dentoalveolar surgical procedures, since these surgical sites may result in additional areas of exposed necrotic bone. Symptomatic patients with stage 3 disease may require resection and immediate reconstruction with a reconstruction plate or an obturator. Recent case series have described acceptable outcomes following surgical therapy for patients with stage 2 and stage 3 disease. 69 The potential for failure of the reconstruction plate because of the generalized effects of the bisphosphonate exposure needs to be recognized by the clinician and patient. Immediate reconstruction with non-vascularized or vascularized bone is still considered potentially problematic as necrotic bone may be present at the resection margins or develop at the recipient site.
The effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical and surgical treatment is under investigation at two institutions where a randomized controlled trial is underway.71 Preliminary results have shown some improvement in wound healing and long-term pain scores, but its use as the sole treatment modality for BRONJ cannot be supported at this time.
Case reports with small sample sizes have documented the use of other non-surgical treatment strategies, such as, platelet rich plasma, parathyroid hormone, and bone morphogenic protein. 72 The efficacy of these treatment modalities needs to be established through additional research and controlled studies.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
CoolBreeze

I've been mets 3 years now, on Zometa for 2, had c.diff 3 times, and no dentist wants to treat me. I have had some tooth pain but I'm good with the oral hygeine and salt down that tooth every night and use a braun electric toothbrush and keep my mouth from getting sores. I don't know what else I can do.

Take as good a care of your teeth as you can. Before I started my chemo, when I was only Stage 2, I did the most complete dental cleaning possible and took care of everything. That has to last, I guess.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
jaykay

I had been on Actonel, Fosamax, injection of Reclast for quite a long time due to early menopause and osteopenia due to Femera and just bad genes.

That being said, I had full mouth gum surgery 20+ years ago and am anal about my teeth. I've had 2 implants with bone grafts over the past 4 years and have had no problems. Plus lots of "regular" crowns. My dentist is a periodontist/implant specialist and is very well versed in all the issues and ramifications around biophasphates. I trust him implicitly. Plus I'd rather have "teeth" than holes in my mouth which can cause other issues.

Just make sure you have someone at the top of his/her field. My biggest fear with starting chemo was that I was going to lose a cycle of teeth-cleaning - I go every 3 months. But so far so good.

The biggest concern with any kind of extensive dental surgery is smoking. My dentist wouldn't do anything with implants until I had stopped smoking for at least a year.
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote