HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
2016 UPDATED SUPPLEMENT LIST must read

Did my month's worth of pills today. Damn bother. But STAYING ALIVE is so worth it all.

Yes I do know what a total challenge and commitment this is. It is my life. It has given me life. After and with the chemo -- it has sustained me. If that isn't incentive enough, I understand your resistance. Still, I had to share because it is such an amazing gift Dr. Mitchell Gaynor gave to me and 100s, or 1,000s, of others... Feel compelled to pass it on...

BEEN TAKING THESE SUPPLEMENTS SINCE OCT '98 -- DURING CHEMOTHERAPY AND BEYOND. DESPITE MAINSTREAM VERY EXCELLENT ONCS WORRIED ABOUT INTERACTION BETWEEN SUPPS AND CHEMO -- INTEGRATIVE ONCOLOGIST SAID IT IS DURING CHEMO, WHEN YOUR BODY IS UNDER ATTACK FROM CANCER AND CHEMO, THAT YOU MOST NEED THE SUPPLEMENTS.

I informed my oncs that I had chosen to do the supplements throughout chemo. I appreciate their viewpoint but feel my gut/heart/inner voice telling me to bravely move forward and go for it...

I give a list of allllll my supplements to all my docs along with my prescription meds. They don't know what most of them are and are suspicious. They say, Wow. You really take all these??!! One said, What? No eye of newt? She is an excellent endocrinologist, very adorable and very funny. And over the yrs as peri menopause struck her she did write down the Evening Primrose Oil I recommended. LOL.

Mainstream Western medicine decry supplements as not yet proven, not enough scientific studies, no proof. Well, had I waited, I swear I wouldn't still be here. There are few studies but Dr. Mitchell Gaynor is an outstanding leading expert on the subject. He has pioneered new strategies for the treatment of and prevention of cancer. The author of numerous scientific papers and books available to you, on Amazon. His work has been featured in Newsweek, USA Today, The New York Times, Healthy Living, Vegetarian Times, and many other publications and appeared on various television shows including Discovery Health, CNN.

He is assistant clinical professor of Medicine at Weill College, affiliated with Cornell University and Nerw York Hospital. associated with Cornell Weill Institute and Strang.

He has served on the Executive Review Panel at the Department of Defense – Alternative Medicine for Breast Cancer Sector and the Smithsonian Institute’s Symposium on New Frontier in Breast Cancer and the Environment. He is a frequent speaker and lecturer at hospitals, conferences, and universities throughout America and abroad.

I'VE HAVE REMAINED ON MY SUPPS DUTIFULLY (WHICH IS ADMITTEDLY A REAL PAIN IN ASS, PURCHASING, ORGANIZING -- INTO SPECIALLY PURCHASED JUMBO PILL DISPENSER FOR AM AND FOR PM FOR 1 MONTH. I REPLENISH EVERY MONTH.

I BUY ONLY CAPSULES IF POSSIBLE. VEGETARIAN IF POSSIBLE. FAR EASIER TO SWALLOW CAPSULES. BUY PILLS IF NEED BE.

I ORDER FROM VITACOST.COM -- FREE SHIPPING ON $50 WHICH IS EASY TO ACCRUE. THEY HAVE THE ABSOLUTE BEST PRICES AROUND. AND THEY RUN SPECIALS WHICH I LOOK FOR. I.E. 15% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER.

I GET TOP BRANDS. WE DESERVE TOP BRANDS WITH THE FINEST INGREDIENTS. INTEGRATIVE ONC INSISTED ON THEM.

Dr. Mitchell Gaynor recommended these for me -- 4th stage invasive lobular HER2+ carcinoma (9 cm tumor). Mastec/tram flap reconstruction July 1995. Recurred throughout my liver in Aug '98.

'95 Herceptin was still in clinical trials so they didn't even test for it then. I was ER/PR borderline. Put on Tamoxifen. In Aug of 1998 I discovered -- since my liver enzymes were ever so slightly elevated -- nothing to worry about -- 3 x (testing ev 3 mnths in those days) tI decided to request a liver ultrasound. Doc said they could substantiate that for the insur co.

Tumors throughout my liver. Biopsy showed HER2+, same invasive lobular carcinoma. I was then ER/PR negative. Told me to flush my Tamoxifen down the toilet.

Are you up for the challenge. It's a major commitment. But I am still here because of this regimen. I believe these supps are responsible for keeping me alive, against all odds.

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH...!!!!!!!!!

B12 (methyl cobalamine) 1 mg lozenge -- AM for energy

B5 Riboflavin 500 Pantothenic Acid AM good for neuropathy

New Chapter Lifeshield mushroom blend immune booster AM + PM

Selenium 200 AM -- anti oxidant, protects cells from damage

Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 AM/PM -- detoxifies liver, antioxidant, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage, can cross the brain barrier, energy, relieves muscle and joint pain, heart healthy

Carnitine 500 AM/PM -- assists in gastro absorption, energizes, lowers triglycerides, relieves muscle and joint pain

D3 -- 10,000 AM -- assists organ function, healthy bones, blocks bc cell growth (Must ask for D and B to be checked in blood work so you know where you stand)

Co Enzyme Q10 100 (AM PM) good for gums, heart, energy, muscle and joint pain

Chromium Piccolinate 400 AM empty stomach - metabolizes fats and carbs and lowers sugar circulating in blood

C 1,000 w/bioflavinoids (AM) -- enhances immune system, reduces recurrence of cancer

Calcium 500 x 2 (AM PM) -- body can only absorb 400 mg of calcium at a time CAPSULES cause calcium pills in particular are way too big

E 400 WITH TOCOPHEROLS (I use Vital Nutrient brand) ( 1AM + 2 PM) -- helps heart and hot flashes

Lutein 20 w/1 Zeaxthin AM eye health, assists in preventing cancers

B6 -- P5P50 (bedtime) heart healthy

DIM-Plus (AM) metabolizes estrogen by Nature's Way

Echinacea w/Goldenseal AM/PM -1 wk / Astragalus 1,000 AM/PM - next wk -- constantly rotating -- boost immune system

Evening Primrose Oil 500 as needed for hot flashes, heart healthy, anti inflammatory, down regulates HER2 by binding to extra cellular HER2 receptor, down regulating internal proliferation

Exhilarin (AM / PM) helps memory, relieves hot flashes, energizes

Flaxseed Oil 1,000 heart healthy, anti-cancer, detoxifies, improves brain function

Folate w/Quatrefolic 400 (AM) red cell booster, heart healthy

Ginkgo Biloba Extract -- 60 AM / PM mental alertness

Grapeseed Extract 150 (AM) anti-oxideant, protects skin cells, can cross blood-brain barrier, protects brain and spinal nerves against free radical damage, exhances anti-tumor effect, protect liver, strengthen connection tissues including heart system, supports immune system and slow aging

NAC 600 (AM) supports healthy liver function, rids body of toxins

NADH (AM PM) on empty stomach -- anti-oxidant, relieves chronic fatitude, energizes, boosts mental acuity, supports healthy oxygen-rich blood, detoxifies kidney, lungs, bowels and blood stream toxins

zinc -- 30 AM immune booster
Resesvertrol 250 (AM PM) tumor shrinking, boosting immune system, anti-oxidant, heart healthy, HER2 blocker

Argenine 500 X 2 AM empty stomach (sustained and immediate release) helps keep EF (ejection fraction) up , HEART HEALTHY

Coleus Forskhlii 125 X 2 AM + X 2 PM heart healthy + lots more good reasons to take I USE NATURE'S WAY CAUSE IT HAS 20% FORSKOHLII WHICH IS PREFERRED (keeps my triglycerides normal for example)

Glutamine 500 AM empty stomach -- amino acid, assists in gastro absorption, energizes

PROBIOTIC Garden of Life Primal Defense for IBS (AM) and normal bowels

PROBIOTIC Digestive Advantage Bowel Support for IBS (PM) and normal bowels

Green Coffee Bean Extract (unroasted) 400 AM + PM for long life, may lower blood pressure

Lysine 500 AM empty stomach bolsters immune function

Omega 3 -- I use Vitacost brand 2,100 AM + PM -- EPA + DHA -- (our RB -- The traditional diet of Greece and cancer) has written a book on the multiple benefits of Omega 3, most especially for breast cancer patients and for far more reasons to include in your list)

Wobenzym -- Take 1-2 AM + PM -- anti inflammatory (which is the cause of all ailments and disease -- it is an immune booster and eases pain of joints, etc.

Potassium 99 AM + PM energizes, heart healthy

Magnesium 400 if you can take it (it gives me diarrhea) essential for good health, preventing heart and kidney disease and others

Biotin 5,000 healthy hair/nails

Phyto Formula 1 scoop in OJ in AM for chronic fatigue

B5 (Pantothenic Acid) 300 AM + PM the alleviation of conditions like asthma, hair loss, allergies, stress and anxiety, respiratory disorders and heart problems. It also helps to boost immunity, reduce osteoarthritis and signs of aging, increase resistance to various types of infections, stimulate physical growth, and manage diabetes and skin disorders.

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH...!!!!!!!!!

HELPFUL ADVICE -- Take ONLY when feeling sick:
Zinc -- 30 mg (+ when sick -- lozenges 23 mg up to 6 x a day
vITAMIN C - 1,000 X 3
Echincea with goldenseal 900
Astragalus 1,000

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 01-21-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: 2016 UPDATED SUPPLEMENT LIST must read

Already updated my update. Added further description of why I take EVENING PRIMROSE OIL...
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

At least as important as the taking of supplements, which I believe are essential as you know -- is your attitude...!

Positive thinking raises our T CELLS which are directly related to our immune system. Strong immune system = a healthy person.

http://www.tcells.org/beginners/tcells/

Many studies on this. One yrs ago took a group of pp who had lost their job. And a group who were working, assured of a living wage at the very least.

The group that was naturally super worried showed declinging T cells. Checked initially, then 6 mnths later. T cells just kept dropping.

You can imagine the dialogue in their heads. I have no job. I am scared. What will happen to me, to my family? How will we live? What can I do. I feel helpless. I've lost my reason for getting up each morning. I feel victimized. Disempowered. I am in BIG trouble. T CELLS JUST KEPT DROPPING.

Even if you hate your job you're getting a paycheck every week and you and your family are living in a comfort zone. T CELL STAY HIGH. You stay healthy and well.

The Awakening, Revealing And Potentially Life Changing Power Of

((( "I AM" )))

Become Conscious Of What You Are Creating Through

"I AM" And You'll Have Discovered Yet Another "NOT So Secret", Secret for Experiencing Real Harmony And Fulfillment In EVERY Aspect Of Your Life

You ARE the light of the world. What you proclaim through your verbalizations of I AM exposes, illuminates and clearly reveals the underlying cause which initiates the creative process, producing EVERY event, condition and circumstance in YOUR life just as you proclaim and "believe" it will…without fail and with unwavering certainty.

What is it that you are choosing and claiming for yourself?

Is it...

I AM always broke

I AM sick and tired

I AM...

Abundance and Happiness.com

I AM HEALTHY AND WELL. I DO NOT HAVE CANCER. NO MORE CANCER.

I WILL LIVE A LONG LIFE, DESPITE THE STATISTICS. I AM NOT A STATISTIC. I AM A PERSON WITH THE POWER OF CHOICE.

A PERSON WITH THE POWER TO SELF HEAL (yes, in addition to western medicines help big time -- and in addition to SUPPLEMENTS which help boost my immune system and guard against free radicals, keep my heart healthy,
detoxify my body and so on...)...!!!!

When this is the conversation you hear all day in your head -- your T cells will be happy, obliging and assist in boosting your immune system.

If you are saying I AM DYING, I AM GOING TO DIE, I'M JUST AFRAID THAT, I CAN'T STAND THIS ANYMORE, I DON'T WANT TO LIVE LIKE THIS, I F**KING HATE CANCER -- guess where your T cells are diving to...

Cancer is a bodily malfunctioning. I will not give it power over me. I will not give FEAR power over me. I will live with joy and serenity.

I KNOW my desired outcome ALREADY EXISTS and is making its way to me. I call it to me each day with THE POWER OF MY THOUGHTS.

Thoughts are energy. We emit that energy all day. They go out from us on a vibrational frequency. If they are full of positivity they are vibrating on a higher level. If we are feeling defeated and hopeless, resigned and disempowered, those TOXIC thoughts go out from us on a much lower, slower frequency.

Your thoughts are sensed -- by others, by your body and by the Universe. Your thoughts are responded to IN KIND.

Others may get a silent message to move away from such poisonous vibes. Your body takes your thoughts very seriously. Their job is to obey your commands. Your thoughts ARE their commands. They are very literal. They have no sense of humor.

Never say, THIS IS KILLING ME... Careful what you think.

The Universe senses your thoughtful energy and considers them in accordance with their vibrational output.

Negativity begets more negativity. Positivity draws more of the same to its source.

As simple as that. As simple as the laws of gravity.

With that in mind -- consciously choose what you will focus on all day, where you will put your energies.

I choose to live AS IF. As if what I want already exists, and is making its way toward me. I KNOW this. It is a powerful Knowing my Inner Voice assures me is so all day long, every day. I trust my Inner Voice, or gut, or heart, or Spirit (my Truest Self) implicitly. And so -- live each with joy and serenity KNOWING tomorrow will be better.

I continue to feed my Essence with the words of authors like Wayne Dyer, like Dr. Mitchell Gaynor's in his first book HEALING ESSENCE. With the words of Eckhart Tolle.

With Gary Zucav's SEAT OF THE SOUL.

All mind blowing and resonate on the deepest level of my being. It isn't what I wish were so. I KNOW as I read their words that it is so. I REMEMBER WHAT I NEVER KNEW I KNEW.

Every thought is a prayer.
Every prayer is a potential miracle.

YOU can and should be a miracle.

Live with that KNOWING. Live AS IF...

BELIEVE.

Love and Light,
Andi

Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
JennyB

Wow Andi -

that is one big list!! Thank you for adding why you take each one it's good to know the reasoning.

I need to revisit my supplements as I have become a little slack with taking them! Thank you for the incentive!

Jenny
Clear margins but lymphovasculer invasion
Stage 3a Grade 3
Fec 100 x 3 Jan '11 Taxotere X 3 and Herceptin X 1yr
Staging scans - CT brain & body and bone - May '11 - NED!!
Start Femara - in chemo induced menapause
25 Rads June '11
Dec '11 Menstruation resumed - zoladex inj monthly and Tamoxifen
Feb '12 Back on Femera and Zoladex
March '12 CT brain & body & bone scan all clear
Zometa x2/yearly
April '12 - Oopherectomy

Praying the Herceptin is as good as its hype!!
JennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Juls

Thanks Andi

Just started taking 600 mg calcium tablet - what's with the size? They must be at least 1" long!!
Think I am starting to rattle!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Donna H

Hi Andi - Where do you find the supplements? A health food store or drug store? Currently I am taking biotin and vit C. None of my doctors seem to think I need any supplements. I am planning to add a few from your list based on my own dx of what I need to get back to pre-treatment feeling/being. Thanks for sharing your protocol.
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

VITACOST.COM has the largest selection, great description of ingredients and FACTS and reviews PLUS the best prices $$$$$$$$$$$...

To me the absolute most essential are:

Vitamin D3
Calcium
Co Enzy Q10
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Carnitine
Selenium
Vitamin C w/bioflavinoids
B12
Omega 3
Probiotic
New Chapter Lifeshield mushroom blend or another Immune Booster if you
prefer
Vitamin B6
Folate w/Quatrefolic
Flaxseed Oil
Evening Primrose Oil
Exhilarin
Grapeseed Extract
NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)
Resveratrol
ZINC

Check out Dr. Andrew Weill on line for info on supps.

Also Livestrong.com

Most docs think supps are a waste of your $$$. Yet they all find the fact that I'm still alive remarkable. Say, Wow. You...shouldn't be here...

They think I am very very very lucky.

I say when you see a miracle delve into the reasons, beyond dismissing it an a rare occurrence.

Read Dr. Mitchell Gaynor's books on supplements.

Purchase PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING (Phyllis A. Balch)

Then I would add:

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Alpha Lipoic Acid
Argenine
Chromium Piccolinate
E
Glutamine
Lysine
Lutein
Ginkgo
NADA
Biotin
B-5 Pantothenic Acid 300 AM PM -- think I didn't mention this one,
helps neuropathy big time![
/COLOR]

Very hard to imagine how our mainstream brilliant docs just blow off supplements as frills, unnecessary and a scam.

I got rid of Shingles midst 2nd month of Taxotere -- in 10 days. Unheard of! But I had to -- cause onc wouldn't give me chemo w/shingles, meaning a majorly compromised immune system.

WE MUST KEEP OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AT PEAK CONDITION! DURING CHEMO MOST ESPECIALLY AND FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES...!!!!!!!!!!

Supps from Vit store are way over priced. Same for drug store.

VITACOST.COM

Also Dr. Gaynor fav -- Vitahealth / The Apothecary -- 212 - 628 1110
David, the owner is so well informed and so responsive. Also all his help. He ships to me in Fla free of charge.
His TOLLFREE # is 1 - 866 - 628 - 5255

Tell them Andrea Budin sent you... Not that I get anything for it, but he's just such a great man who a fund of information re all the supplements. His prices compare to Vitacost.com OUTSTANDING...

Last edited by Andrea Barnett Budin; 01-21-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Old 01-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #8
suzan w

Thank you for this list, Andi. And for the benefits of each. I take a fair amount of supplements, nothing like your list!! You have inspired me to go out today and get one of those mega pill boxes!!! I take an organic, whole food, vegan women's multi-vitamin which hopefully fills in the gaps!!! Your signature speaks volumes and attests to the success of your regimen!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
forher

Andi, thank you for sharing and caring. I am going to print this out and compare it to my cabinet of supplements. In the past year, I have added multiple supplements to my diet. They are so hard to take. Yes, I gag and most days I can't get them all down so I rotate with a handful that I take everyday.
This post is very helpful.
forher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
VDC

I've been looking for an online "drug" "herbal" interaction checker! does anyone know of a good resource for checking drug, herbal and supplement interactions?
Thanks
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
sarah

HHmmmm. I've read recently several very negatives things about supplements including 2 of my favorites: vitamin D and Fish oil (omega 3, flax seed oil and other oils) the oils are often rancid. There's no FDA checking on supplements which are often made in that so "reliable" country, China. and of course the supplement people don't want supervision because they can get away with saying anything. Also for years and years, I've heard cancer people shouldn't take vitamin E, so who knows. what works, works but check. My cardiologist gave me a prescription for Omocar (fish oil) that's pricey but a prescription, secure type. When I asked about taking an ordinary one, she told me it was only my health! it costs 30 euro a month! There's a website (paying) called Consumer Labs that apparently does testing on supplements that sounds like a good thing to join. I'm in Europe, so not useful for me. I'd certainly like to know which brands or which supplements are really what they say they are and are safe as I'm sure we all would.