HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
SherriT

Omega 3's and/or 6's

Please forgive me for not really knowing enough about this topic, but for someone who does not eat seafood/fish, can someone offer some advice how it would be best for me to get some of the 'fish stuff' into me? I know it's good for the body, but I have never taken a liking to seafood/fish--cannot get a taste for the stuff, at all. Is it possible to take some sort of a supplement that would at least be beneficial? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sherri
SherriT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Unregistered

Some suggestions;

1. Fish oil - virtually tastless (not Cod liver which tastes foul) you can hardly taste it if you put it in things.

2. Flax seed is high in threes.

3.Perillia but I dont know where you get it.

4. Cut down on sixes avoid processed oil and margerine in general terms with the exception of olive, and maybe flax. Virgin cold pressed olive is still 10%plus omega six. Use in moderation. Check out the posts on omega three links for resources that give fat compositions for oils etc. discussions on pluses minuses etc.

5. Look at the labels on processed food most contains veg oils (high six).

6. Greens varied, and some beans for fibre - lots of variety dark green coloured salads etc.

7. Talk to advisors about significant diet change.

Essential part is to aim to balance the threes and sixes which does take concious effort.

RB
Old 03-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Tom

EPA/DHA Omega-3 Supplements

Hi Sherri.

If you don't have a taste for fish (I can't imagine a life without seafood...lol), then try these. I give my Mom six of these capsules every day. They are a pharmaceuticcal grade cold-water fish oil, and are easy to take. They have no taste at all. We purchase most of our vitamins and supplements from this company, as they have a great reputation for quality and a huge selection of otherwise difficult to find products. Below is the link to the site, and the EPA/DHA Omega-3 capsules. Make sure you read many of the posts by "RB". You will get a grasp of the importance of balancing the ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids. RB is "on the case" when it comes to the subject.

http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00820.html

Tom

P.S. That RB sure is quick on the draw. BY the time I finished typing my message and clicking send, the rascal had slipped in outta the bushes and provided the information I was talking about. You go RB...lol

Last edited by Tom; 03-26-2006 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Add P.S.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
SherriT

Thanks for your responses.

Just so I'm getting the general drift, is it better to get more 3's than 6's? Regarding fish oil--is this something that is labelled "fish oil" or is it more specific--like "Omega 3 fish oil" (I have a recollection of seeing something with a label on it.
SherriT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
Unregistered

You will find supplies on the net or your local store. It has different names - maybe so children are not put off. Bottled is cheaper. Check the label for contents of DHA EPA.

If you find you cannot tolerate fish oil there is an EPA DHA derivative, but as a genreal rule I think the nearer to the original source the better.

In the generality you are trying to keep fat intake down within sensible limits and balance the threes and sixes in the long terms. 2 - 3 grams of DHA EPA from fish or fish oil a day seems to be a common recomendation, but it is rally somthing you have to read up on and decide for your self.

In determining your intake you may want to think about your existing reserves - I have not seen much written on this but it muat be a factor - but I have no answers.

RB
Old 03-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Unregistered

Tom

Good to see your positive supportive posts again.

Thanks for the thought and compliment - omega three and six and its health impact is a huge subject and my knowledge is limited, but I am convinced it is a key factor.

RB