HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
jhandley

Supplements to take/not to take while on herceptin

Hi all
I have just started taxol/herceptin three weekly after a mastectomy two weeks ago for a 4 cm tumour (scans showed one spot on the liver- bugger!). I am taking 100 mg Q10 daily for heart protection and after reading ginger's experience with olive leaf I am having some of this extract too. Is there anything that shouldn't be taken with herceptin eg: interferes with its action?
Regards
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Tommy

Smile Supplements with herceptin

Hi Jackie. Just a quick note. I have not found evidence of anything yet that would interfere with the action of Herceptin itself. But you want to investigate what might inhibit the action of the Taxol. I suspect some anti-oxidanst might, if Taxol works by producing lots of free radicals. You also need to be concerned with phytoestrogens in your foods and supplements (vitamin-E), as they are contraindicated if your tumor is estrogen-receptor negative. Someone here will certainly know.

I have not investigated many of the standard chemotherapy drugs, as my Mom is 81, and is taking Herceptin as a single-agent therapy. I DO however, give my Mom flaxseed oil, flaxseed itself, and olive oil daily. The oleic acid content of all three has been shown to have an additional benefit when used with Herceptin. In many women the efficacy of Herceptin is reduced over time, allowing disease progression. Most oncologists then stop the Herceptin once disease progression has been demonstrated. For some reason, oleic acid delays or prevents this all together. My other favorite is decaffeinated green tea and green tea extract, containing the highest content of EGCG you can find. I use Mega Green Tea Extract from Life Extension (www.lef.org) Best Wishes- Tom
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Tommy

Exclamation Correction

Dear Jackie. I wanted to make an important correction to my last post. I tried to edit it right away, but have been having a lot of trouble logging in over the last few visits.

The line in the first paragraph which states that foods and supplements (vitamin-E) that contain phytoestrogens are contraindicated in estrogen-receptor negative tumors, should read "contraindicated in estrogen-receptor POSITIVE tumors". Please excuse my typo, but it is a very important point, as any source of estrogen would tend to FEED an estrogen-receptor POSITIVE malignancy, and defeat the purpose of drugs such as Tamoxifen or Arimidex.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Becky

I wouldn't take any supplements except a multi while still on Taxol. Ask your onco about the Co Q10 - 100mg should be fine. I think the half life is short. I would stop taking it about 3 days before a taxol and start again 24 hours after the taxol (but ask). During radiation (if you are getting it) you also have to watch the supplements. After that, with Herceptin alone, the sky's the limit. I would take the olive oil though - a tablespoon a day of EVOO (as Rachael Ray says extra virgin olive oil).

Best regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Gina

Hi,

This is Gina. I think you may have emailed me at home and I wrote you a typical LONG, LONG Gina reply only to have my "sent" email to you come back as undeliverable...if you see this thread...would you email me back your new e-address and I will cut and paste my comments and send them to you again. I really enjoyed your email. Thanks!!!!

Take care,
Gina
GPOPP@Comcast.net
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote