HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Herceptin and Selenium deficiency?

Well I've noticed an interesting trend. I discontinued my regular multi vitamin for 4 weeks because of my recent surgery.

Last week I was whining to my new PCM about how absolutely exhausted I was, the tingling and aching in my legs, sore muscles, etc.

She decided to test my B12 levels and thyroid. I don't have the results yet.

In desperation I took a Selenium tablet and within the hour the fog was lifting from my brain, my energy levels climbed and the tingling in my legs lessened. That was 3 days ago, and if I don't supplement with at least 300 mcg of Selenium every day I feel like crap.

I notice others have similar symptoms that are being associated with side effects of Herceptin.

Comments, Opinions?

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Terri B

Location: me & my three HANDSOME grandsons!!Jacksonville, Arkansas
Angry

Well, color me ignorant 'lizabeth, but what the heck is selenium? I would love to try some!

I feel like poop. Just blah. My period keeps "trying" to start up again, and I'm bloated up like a bullfrog most of the time. Now that has moved to my eyes being all puffy in the morning. I can't see clearly till about noon. Sinuses are OUT OF CONTROL!! I had herceptin a week ago.

>:-(
1.5 cm & .6 cm grade III, Stage IIA
es/pr- Her2+++, 9/9 richardson
Double Mast w/expanders 4-14-08
3/9 nodes positive.
additional excision rt breast 4-25-08
weekly T/H x 12 (6-2-08) Done!
FEC x4 (9-8-08) Last one 11-10-08!
Herceptin complete 8/10/09!!
33 RADS DONE 2/13/09!
rt. breast biopsy 3/20/09 .. B9!!
reconstruction complete!
DEEEEEEported on 5/19/10!!
almost 5 YEARS NED!!
Terri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
hutchibk

Brazil nuts contain about 544 micrograms of selenium per oz. I try and eat about 2-3 brazil nuts a day for that exact reason...

Have been lazy lately, though. Thanks for the reminder.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 05-06-2009 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: correction
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
'lizbeth

Well I got the results of my tests. My thyroid is normal, but my B12 levels are high. I was taking the B12 for peripheral neurapathy, but maybe took too much and perhaps that is the cause of my tingly legs.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 05-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Yorkiegirl

Brenda can you just buy Brazil Nut's that aren't mixed with other nut's? I love Brazil Nut's, but I waste my money when they are mixed with others.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Lani

cefituxumab the monocolonal antibody against her1 (EGFR) has been associated with

hypomagnesemia (too little magnesium in the blood)

I think they may not have looked very hard for other deficiencies as there doesn't seem to be most "postmarketing" surveillance ie, after the drug is approved the drug companies aren't perhaps as diligent as they should be looking for associated troubles once it is used in a larger population.

Perhaps the low selenium (IF AND I MEAN IF) you really had it was a chronic
result from some change in metabolism after chemotherapy. That is not to say it might not be from the herceptin. Anyone else with these symptoms might try to talk their oncologist into getting a selenium level. ???good luck???

I think that might be the only way we see if there is a trend. Until then, glad you are feeling better...
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
'lizbeth

I see selenium toxicity has some of the same symptoms as I have. Too much, too little - it is so hard to figure out what the true problem is.

I hope the selenium tablet isn't making it worse.

Additional treatments:

Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
hutchibk

a nutritionist told me to eat 2-4 brazil nuts a day, and that that should be the healthiest way to get selenium without worrying about getting too much.

I get them in the bulk section of the grocery store (usually whole foods). I keep them in the freezer.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
'lizbeth

I love brazil nuts, perhaps they will have them at our local Henry's

Additional treatments:

Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
R.B.

Selenium is needed to make the internal antioxidant glutathione, and is very important to good health.

The antioxidant glutathione is made in the body and protects the mitochondria from oxidative damage.

Herceptin causes mitochondrial damage. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15582322
Inhibition of ErbB2 causes mitochondrial dysfunction in cardiomyocytes: implications for herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy.
Grazette LP, Boecker W, Matsui T, Semigran M, Force TL, Hajjar RJ, Rosenzweig A.

I have been unable to find any indication if selenium is a positive or negative addition with herceptin as far as BC goes but may help reduce the risk of cardiac damage by helping reduce oxidative stress.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19017630?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

ON a wider basis there are quite a number of suggestions that selenium reduces the risk of BC

Program in Cardiovascular Gene Therapy, Cardiovascular Research Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Shellfish, kidney, herring and lentils are reported as good sources in S Cunnane's book "Survival of the Fattest" which is about brains and evolution.

Brazil nuts are an excellent source of selenium but are high in Omega 6.

Last edited by R.B.; 05-06-2009 at 01:30 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
'lizbeth

Thank you for that information R.B. I have lentils in the pantry and I've been meaning to learn how to cook them.

I think my terrible fatigue could have resulted from the anesthesia. I always come out of surgery really wound up and it takes days to settle down. I was reading that one causes a deficiency in Vitamin B12 and selenium. That could explain why a B12 shot 2 days after surgery made such a big difference in my energy levels. And the improvement by supplementing with selenium. It certainly didn't help that I discontinued my multi vitamins for 4 weeks.

I feel like Herceptin also gets me out of balance too.

I wish we had a scanner like Star Trek that could instantly check out vitamin and mineral levels!

Additional treatments:

Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
R.B.

Quote:
I wish we had a scanner like Star Trek that could instantly check out vitamin and mineral levels!

Now thats a great idea.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote