HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
miss di

Stopping Herceptin

Hello Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone had to stop Herceptin for any other reason than low MUGA scores or it stopped working.

Thank you in advance,
My best to all,

Di
Old 04-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
tdonnelly

Hi Di,
I stopped Herceptin about 7 weeks ago. My blood work showed elevation in regards to my liver. After the last infusion I became very nauseated and have been ever since. I need to have a Scan of Pelvis/Abdomen to see what is going on . I also started having a tingling on the right side of my face. It comes and goes. My last Muga was 61%. I had 12 treatments of Herceptin.
tdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
miss di

T,

Thanks, that is one of my biggest problems, nausea and abdominal pain. Nausea is almost constant. Not happy with weight loss either.
Went from every 3 weeks to weekly hoping would help. So far can't see a big difference.
Thanks for answering, looks like it's you and me. Hope you feel better and your tests go well.

Di
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Bill

Miss Di, I'm sorry, but I can't help with your Herceptin question. But I was wondering about your nausea and pain. What are taking for both? It's important to take those medications before the symptoms strike. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
juanita

I'm sorry to hear you have to stop the herceptin. I know it's not for your muga, but I was lucky and mine actually went up and not down.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
miss di

I might have mislead you. I haven't stopped the Herceptin yet. I'm going to be stopping if all my tests, i.e. Pet, labs come back with no new spots in May, started last August. My onc wants me to take a break as I am going to need it for "as long as we can use it." Wants to give my heart a break. This actually scares me but I understand her reasoning.
As for stomach I take Pepcid, if something for pain just Advil but not often as it can cause stomach problems. I also take Ativan as needed and Arimidex daily.
I have other side effects, but the nausea seems to bother me the most.

Thanks alot,
My best to all,
Di
Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Hazel Joyce

I was supposed to have 2 more treatments to complete my year's worth, but I had some kind of allergic reaction to the Herceptin today, so I won't be getting any more. My onc says that she would consider giving me Herceptin with pre-medication if I needed it in the future.
3 cm tumor, 8 cancerous lymph nodes
Grade 3, ER/PR -, HER-2/neu +++ (by FISH, average 20 copies per cell)
A/C x 4, Taxol x 12, Herceptin x 47 weeks
35 radiation treatments
Completed treatment on April 3, 2008
Chest port removed October 2009
11 years since diagnosis NED
Hazel Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
miss di

Hazel,

Can you tell me what kind of reaction?

Thanks in advance,
Di
Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Hazel Joyce

I saw the onc at 9 am yesterday. She said that I had 2 doses of Herceptin left. I have been getting Herceptin since April 2007, so it's been almost a year. After the onc, I went for my infusion. About 10 minutes into the infusion my face was warm and flushed and I had a tight knot in my upper abdomen. Then I got shaking chills. Then I got a hot sensation in my chest and was short of breath. My skin was red all over (no hives or itch) and my eyes were puffy and red. My blood pressure went up to 188/86. My pulse was 120. (Blood pressure usually drops below normal with allergic reaction.) The chemo nurse said that they haven't seen this reaction to Herceptin. They treated it immediately with IV steroid and IV Benadryl and it subsided.

I do have an allergy to a preservative in injectable anesthetic. Maybe it's related. Anyway, strange that it would happen at 49 weeks into the year. The onc nurse said that it was a "classic Taxol reaction" which makes me wonder if something went wrong in the pharmacy. The pharmacy automatically investigates all adverse reactions.

The onc said that if I needed Herceptin again down the road, she would give it to me with pre-medication (steroids, Benadryl).

Other than this peculiar episode, I stopped Herceptin for 4 weeks after 9 doses with Taxol because my EF dropped to 51%. I have had no further heart problems.

I'll update this post when I find out what caused the reaction.

The Herceptin literature says that some people may be allergic to a component (benzyl alcohol) in the liquid (Bacteriostatic Water for Injection) that is used to reconstitute the Herceptin powder before they put it in the IV bag. In that case, they would reconstitute it with Sterile Water. I don't think that this would cause nausea and abdominal pain, though.
35 radiation treatments
Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
fauxgypsy

I have never been given Herceptin without Benedryl as a premed. I asked about it because I hate the way Benadryl makes me feel and was told that if I had a reaction to the Herceptin they would not be able to give it to me again so I still get the Benedryl prior to the Herceptin. I am having a problem with peripheral edema in y right hand that I believe may be a side effect of the Herceptin but I have been wrong before. Good luck.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
Hazel Joyce

To clarify: The infusion nurses gave me Tylenol and Benadryl in pill form before all my Herceptin treatments. If I needed it again, they would give me IV Decadron, IV Solumedrol and IV Benadryl before the Herceptin.

Thanks, fauxgypsy! I needed to add that info!
35 radiation treatments
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Ellie F

Hi everyone, just wanted to chime in to say here in England you are not given any medication either before or after you receive herceptin.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
Sheila

I've never been given or taken anything as a premed with Herceptin and I have been on it 5 1/2 years, every 3 weeks, weekly and every 2 weeks, whatever my chemo schedule is....my Muga is 68%....but remember, it affects everyone differently!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
DianneS

Hi,

I began Herceptin in November, 2008. I believe my next one will be #10, and I am considering stopping. My echocardiogram is 70% and I would like to keep it that way. Since finishing the rounds of the toxic stuff (Taxotere and Carboplatin) March 12, I have just had Herceptin, and notice that my joints/muscles bother me. Also I get swelling and painful calves/upper thighs and I believe Herceptin causes this. My eyes are perpetually runny, the tear ducts are frequently blocked, causing red irritated eyelids, crusty stuff around eyes in the morning. Add runny nose as well.

Also, psycholgically it is difficult to face an IV infusion every 3 weeks. I can certainly appreciate those of you who have to have these longer than the prescribed year.

I am wondering what the thinking is behind giving a year's worth of Herceptin? Aren't we all different? I think I read somewhere - maybe on this forum - that in Europe they said that giving 9 treatments (or months?) is just as effective as a year of Herceptin.

I disagree with my doctor who calls Herceptin 'baby chemo' because there are no side effects expected! Excuse me!!??

I will be asking my onc about quitting this June, or earlier. I don't like feeling tired all the time and achy....but I have to weigh that against the HER2.....don't know what to do.

Also, in B.C. Canada we are not given anything before Herceptin or after, unless there has been a problem.

Diannes
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #15
WomanofSteel

I am not given any premeds before herceptin. I am assuming that you are her2 positive. If you are newly diagnosed and not stage 4, one year of herceptin can be a huge benefit to you. It can keep you from progressing as the rest of us did. It is really not much to do in comparison with going for treatments every week because of a reoccurance.
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Nancy L

I have been on just Herceptin for 4+ years and have never been given premeds. Unfortunately, I progressed even after staying on it continuously since diagnosis.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
sassy

I would suspect that Arimidex is part of the problem. Many, including me, have had fairly severe joint and muscle problems on Arimidex.

Just a thought.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
swimangel72

My last Herceptin treatment (or two) caused me extreme fatigue.......and shortness of breath. I was convinced it was the Herceptin, but my onc thought I just had a cold and gave me antibiotics. Fortunately for me, the insurance company refused to pay for the last treatment so my onc said I could be finished - which was great so I didn't even bother fighting with the insurance company. My onc has me scheduled now for a final muga scan (I'm already feeling better - a month since my last Herceptin) and also a cat scan of my lungs since Herceptin can also cause lung problems. I was getting treated every two weeks - and although it was a bit of a drag ( especially since earlier in the year my port had to be removed) I didn't have any problems with the Herceptin. No pre-meds were necessary at all. I did experience a lot of bone pain but I assumed that was due to the Arimidex.

Anyway - all this to say - I do believe it's possible towards the end of a year or more of treatment with Herceptin that an infusion side effect could happen even if you've never had problems before.........possibly a person's body just plain gets tired of the drug!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #19
Joan M

Di,

I stopped last year for a few months but then my muga score bounced back.

My muga wasn't below the bottom range (which I believe is 50) but it had dropped more than 10 percent between scans, and my onc said that such a drop in score is a reason to discontinue. She wanted to keep my heart good just in case I need to use more powerful chemo.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote