HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 AM   #1
Lolly

Jane, I'm so sorry, it sounds like a real trial. I've talked to several who've had serious radiation burn like you describe, and they've mentioned Silvadene Cream, plus my son was burned badly as a child and we were prescribed Silvadene Cream for him also. I don't know if it's still a prescription creme, but ask your pharmacist about it, they'll be able to tell you. It did work wonders for my son's 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
hugs,
Lolly
Old 12-16-2003, 10:48 PM   #2
eleanor

Silvadene is prescription, but easy to get.
A cheaper and very effective alternative is an aloe plant. Cut off a branch and open it up (careful not to prick yourself) and spread the jelly over the burns. It doesn't hurt, it's natural, it's cheap, it's soothing and it works!
Do not use aloe gel or lotion from a store. They contain alcohol which will act as a drying agent on your already burned skin.
I used it the first time around and had no burns or scaring. The next round I wasn't so fortunate cause I couldn't reach the radiation site well enough, so I have a permanent burn mark. But I never had any blistering. I would take it with me to radiation in a plastic bag and as soon as they were done, I would put it on my skin before getting dressed. It dries quickly and doesn't stain your skin. (It can stain clothes if it's not dry).
Hope this helps.
el