HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Natural help for chemo brain

Hello all,

Has anyone found anything natural that helped clear the fog from chemo? Its been about 6 months but I feel like such a dummy.

Suggestions welcome.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Bill

Hi Liz! I wish I could help clear the fog, but I can't. I'm sure some here can, though. Just make sure you're getting a good night's sleep, eating as healthy as you can, and getting some exercise daily. Also, as you rise daily, tell yourself, "I'm gonna do something good for someone else today, no matter how small it may seem". That helps you focus.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
karen z

Give yourself more time. Six months out is not really that long.
karen
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Jackie07

I think both coffee and green tea will help because of the light stimulation to the brain by the caffeine. I am quite sensitive to caffeine, so I only drink it early in the morning (irregularly). Be sure to drink plenty of water with it.

But the most important thing I learned from my 3 (4) medical procedure/treatment is 'exercise'. Exercise increases the blood flow to the brain and helps the neurons to synap and connect. I remember how my 'fog' gradually disappeared after vigorous 'physical therapy' in 1990.

Even now, after any kind of exercise, I still would (quite often) mention to hubby that I feel like my brain has become a little bit more 'clear'...

Taking classes has also been my way of getting back to normal. And it helps to prove to my future employer that my brain is still intact.

And stay on this board to communicate and get support...
(twice I had to look up the dictionary while composing this message because I just couldn't be sure of the spellings...)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-07-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
donalddonald

HI Lizbeth:
my wife had two Chemo and she took Chinese herb medicine to help clear the "fog", and it really worked ! but we are Chinese so we rely on it, may be you can try some herb or natural which you can find after you asked an expert.
My wife's doctor asked my wife not to take coffee and red tea because of the caffeine, also for your reference.
Just do things and have foods you feel confortable and good to you !
with good bless!
donalddonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Merridith

Chemo brain help

I had a very tough time with chemo brain as well.

It was instrumental in my being unable to stay with my job.

I found that the chemo brain symptoms actually continued to get worse for about 3-4 months after my last chemo treatment.

The two things that I thought helped most were exercise & studying. I took college classes to exercise my brain.

I estimate that it has taken about 5 years to get back to normal. I just wish that there were more studies and recognition for how handicapping this disability is.

I have just started taking progesterone for hot flashes. This drug seems to have cleaned up the last bit of fog from my brain. There are studies out there indicating that progesterone has a positive impact on memory, although I didn't know this when I started taking it.

There are certain risk factors associated with taking progesterone, but I was willing to take them to get a normal life back.

In terms of coping - I kept a journal of activities & lists. I also kept shorthand notes of telephone conversations - so I could remember who/what I told things to. I kept a calendar of appointments and set an alarm to ring to remind myself when an appointment was due (in enough time to get out the door)

I always kept a pen in my car so that I could write down my parking space location!!!!!!!

I bought a filing cabinet & created a filing system so I could find things.

Last edited by Merridith; 03-08-2009 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Adding detail
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
Lien

Perhaps a nintendo ds & a braintraining game will help. It worked well for my Allergy - brain, or Brainfog. I also drink yerba mate; a South American tea.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
BonnieR

There have been some good suggestions made. The only other natural thing I can recommend is TIME. It seems that as time goes on my brain is becoming more clear and I am functioning better. It has been gradual but suddenly I noticed!
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
jhandley

Smile try Q10

I find co-enzyme Q10 very helpful for clear thinking. It is also good anticancer and heart protective.
Jackie(down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
'lizbeth

Thank you all for responding! I am already taking CoQ10 for my heart as I am still on Herceptin. I just went for my daily walk and found that it does clear the head. I have been studying for my Graduate Gemologist degree. I have been putting off seeing my Chinese doctor as my insurance doesn't cover accupunture, but it is probably time to go see her and try some chinese herbs. All great suggestions. And I had gotten a memory game for my hubbie - I'm going to borrow it back

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote