HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
'lizbeth

Breast Reconstruction - lipotransfer

I'm interested in this procedure and am hoping to find others who have had this way of reconstruction.

Has anyone had fat removed by liposuction from those problems areas (hips stomach thighs) and had it injected into the breast?

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Breast Reconstruction - lipotransfer

Hi
I have asked around and can't find anyone who has had this as total reconstruction. What I have found is that quite a few ppl have had fat transfer to 'top up' areas of reconstruction for example where there is a difference in size between breasts.
Hope this is helpful.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
'lizbeth

Ellie,

I've had a TRAM with a partial loss and a revision.

I don't want the reconstructed breast increased to the size of the original breast (who needs a set of double FFs at my age, lol).

But I do want the revised breast to be about 1/2 to 1 cup size larger before the other side is reduced and lifted. This is about the size the reconstruction breast would have been before the partial loss.

I'm not in a hurray, I'd like to lose a little weight before I finish the reconstruction process.

I've been chatting a bit with KK Louisiana. Any one else use lipotransfer or autologous fat transfer?

Thanks

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation

Additional treatments:

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
roseamy

Hi,
I have had this done recently, not as a total recon but to infill areas in my ld flap recon as I had some dips.
I have never heard of this being done as a total recon.
They removed the fat from my stomach area, not enough to make a cosmetic difference but enough for infills, they then filtered this leaving mainly the stem cells and good fats so this will take better.
This was then injected into the areas that needed extra padding out as previous radiotherapy had damaged the area. all this was done under a general anaesthetic, I am going to need this doing again as you normally expect between 30 and 50 % to be reabsorbed by the body.
They don't normally do this procedure within 2 years of diagnosis, I was exactly 2 years from my mastectomy, this is so they can monitor reoccurence better in first two years.
Hope this helps.
roseamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
'lizbeth

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5993187.ece

I found this article in the UK that was interesting. There is also a study by Dr. Khouri here is the US on a similar reconstruction.

Additional treatments:

Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
roseamy

Your article is the procedure I had done but at a different hospital here in Britain, I am pleased with the results and see my surgeon again on the 14th june to discuss my next steps.
Again I must emphasise mine was done to infill dips not to dramatically alter breast size, it has helped with the radiotherapy damage by putting back a layer of fat that was no longer there after chest wall rads.
I am going to also need an uplift and reduction on my other breast to get an equal match.

Rose
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
'lizbeth

Rosemary, do you have an idea of the amount of fat used to fill in the dips, does your doctor measure in CCs or can you give me a guestimate in some other measure how must fat when into each area of the breast?

Thanks - I'm trying to figure all this out.

Additional treatments:

Old 06-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
'lizbeth

Oops, I meant Roseamy, not rosemary

Additional treatments:

Old 06-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
roseamy

Hi,
i have looked at med notes and the amounts are ;
harvested solution injected in left breast 133mls
138mls harvested left side
134mls harvested right side.
hope this helps.
they inject more than needed as there is a reabsorbtion rate of between30 and 50%, I have noticed mine has gone down and am expecting to need this doing again. I was originally told it normally takes 2 attempts to get the required fill.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
'lizbeth

Thanks Roseamy,

I need to figure out how large 133ml is, lol. I'll check around on some website.

Thanks for the info.

Additional treatments:

Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Ellie F

Just wanted to chime in here to say that roseamy is right, the women here I have spoken to have said it usually takes 2 refills!

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
'lizbeth

Roseamy - did you have a lattisimus dorsi flap reconstruction?

My understanding is that 133ml is between 1/2 to 3/4 cup - if you use a measuring cup. Not a bra cup. I think the bra cup would vary on chest measurement.

Ellie, where did your friends have the "top" enhancement done? Was this in the US?

Additional treatments:

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
roseamy

Hi,

I did have a lat dorsi recon with an implant, this was done 9 months ago and the first fill done 2 months ago I am hoping to get the 2nd fill done soon.
I would say that it is about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup full, we use the metric system in England but I have a measuring jug with cup measures on and i had a look and guesstimated it.
It has had the added effect of softening the area near the radiotherapy damage, they layer the fat in to the tissue rather than just inject it in like when you put jam in a doughnut, this helps the fat to take better and builds up the area better.
Good luck in your research I hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
'lizbeth

Thanks Roseamy,

The procedure is just gaining acceptance in the US. Europe has been utilizing the transfer of fat for many years without pediculing (spelling?) a muscle to support the blood flow.

Until recently this procedure did not have the ASPS approval as a breast enhancement techniques - so not very many US doctors have offered the procedure. I'm hoping in the next couple of years more & more surgeons in San Diego will learn and use a fat transfer technique for reconstruction without repositioning a major muscle.

I wish my original surgeon would adopt the technique. I would have happily volunteered to be his first patient for the surgery. But he says the procedure is too contraversial.

I'm looking for women such as yourself who have had some experience with the procedure - so that I can make a good decision for myself.

I'm hoping to lose some weight before my final decision and I just got a call from the ENERGY study to help me do that! The study is to help breast cancer survivors over a 27BMI lose weight and see if this helps them prevent breast cancer reocurrences.

Yeah, I hope they accept me!

Additional treatments:

Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
roseamy

My surgeon did say that there is no evidence to support either way whether there is or is not a risk of encouraging a reoccurence, but to be sure they do not do the procedure within 2 years of mastectomy/lumpectomy. There is of course all the usual risks of surgery.
As I had had 2years ned he was happy to do this.
Where I am they have only just introduced this technique and it is so far looking successful.
he also said that they hope in the future to be able to use this instead of implants under the muscle to give a better more natural result but I believe this is still in the early stages.
I did originally have a large tumour that was locally advanced and was considered high risk of reoccurence, I know my surgeon would not have done this on me if he felt I was at undue risk.
good luck with the weight loss.

Rose
Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #16
Soccermom

As much as 50% of the transferred fat may be resorbed by the body.
To speak with a Board Certified Microsurgeon who has literally done thousands of autologous tissue recon (including small revisions using fat transfer)..

http://members.boardhost.com/plastic/

This is an awesome resource for those explorig their reconstruction options,
Warmly,Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote