HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
meo

Cancer Vaccines self-sabotage

http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/n...tion-site.html

Has anyone else seen this?
Would love to hear some thoughts on this article. I've just completed the vaccine trial (GM-CSF) at the MDAnderson and Wake Forest locations and am debating as to whether or not go for the boosters offered at 6 month intervals.
changed doctors
9/2011 Rt breast mast w/expander
Sentinel node neg
scans clear
10/2011 port in
10/2011 began TCH
2/2012 last TC. Herceptin through 10/2012
severe osteopenia
7/2012 prophylatic left mast, node clear
11/2012 anemic
12/2012 began MDAnderson clinical trial
1/2013 implants in, port out!
meo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: Cancer Vaccines self-sabotage

I believe GDP had posted something similar about the local reaction being the immune system attacking the mineral oil instead of tumor seeking.

I think you should do the booster shots. It is the data from our experience that is so important. I would love to see that the vaccine is effective. But if for any reason it is not - the researchers will have gained information that will help move cancer treatment forward.

I did the boosters even though I didn't know if it was the GM-CSF or the vaccine. My reasoning was that I would likely benefit from the GM-CSF anyway.

I would tell my nurse after several injections in the clinical trial that I don't know if the vaccine is working or not, or the GM-CSF - but I feel better and stronger. I felt like something was improving in my health. Whether I was getting a benefit in reducing my chances of a recurrence or not, the data from the trials will show the effectiveness. Perhaps a new delivery system will result, or perhaps the vaccines will be responsible for reducing cancer. I hope the latter.

I'm posting some information on another thread about Antigen Express information is coming up now at ASCO.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote