HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
telly2222

Hi, new here

Hi,
I'm on treatment #15 of 18 Herceptin. I got a recent dx of diabetes. I think it may be related to the steroids I had to take to tolerate the chemo, esp the taxotere. I have been loosing weight since the end of the chemo phase of treatment, I'm overweight, but have lost about 35 lbs so far. Anyone else had dx of diabetes after chemo?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
michele u

Telly,
I'm a RN. Could you tell me more about you and your dx. The pancreas is what is involved with diabetes and blood sugar changes. It could be from chemo,medications or other things affecting your pancreas. Did you have a pet scan or a abdominal ct scan done? I would want those done to make sure something else is not going on. It could be from chemo and hopefully after your blood sugars will go back to normal. How high are they? If you give me more info i'll try to help!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Vanessa

I have been diagnosed as Insulin Resistance for the past five years. After they started giving me steroids during chemo and 3 days after, my blood sugar has gone up, which probably has a lot to do with the weight gain I have been complaining about. My doctor assures me it is because of the steroids and will get better.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
deb-steph

Cool more info

i too am a nurse and more info is needed about your blood sugars. no one even hinted that diabetes might come up so you may need to look at heredity and/or other factors.
deb-steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
telly2222

diabetes

Thanks for your posts... No hereditary diabetes, bone scan fine, ct of the kidney, liver & pancreas also ok. I see the endocronologist next week and go to the diabetes clinic the following week. I have a treatment of herceptin in the middle of the clinic time so it will be interesting to see if that is affecting the blood sugars.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
janet/FL

If I remember correctly, Joe said that Christine got diabetes from the steriods. Someone else I think also mentioned this.
My DH is diabetic so last week after both of us over eating, (I was eating lots of sweets) I used his monitor and my blood glucose was 335 and dropped an hour later to 165. I was expecting to show him a normal reading! I am going to ask for a hb1ac when I see my endocrinolgist in a couple of weeks. This test gives a lot of information as to the blood glucosse reading over the past 3 or so months so it should tell me something. But it did encourage me to give up sweets!
Janet
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
Christine MH-UK

I know someone who became diabetic after chemo

She had put on alot of weight and the doctor said that the weight gain had probably brought it on early (she had a family history of late onset diabetes).
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
MJo

I feel for you. I gained at least 40 pounds during taxol, herceptin and radiation. Steroids contributed, but also I believe Lexapro. My mother got diagnosed with Type II diabetes last month. She's also overweight. My oncologist is nagging me about my weight, especially after I told him about my mom. My glucose is fine now, but I'm at risk.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #9
telly2222

Talking Update

Thanks again for your posts... A little update: of course, not all the bloodwork is back yet, but what has come back is encouraging (that this is a temporary state). Most so far are within the "normal" range, but some on the high side of "normal". I see the endocronologist tomorrow and will hopefully get a few more answers (but I'm not holding my breath). I'm off next week to the diabetes clinic. They will be reviewing my diet, and doing more bloodwork.

I'm still convinced that this is a steriod issue. Its not that I would not have taken them (they helped me with the chemo's), but I would have liked it if someone had listed it as a possibility. "It" being that my insulin is not working like it should. It is a hormone after all. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me...