HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Lovemyboys3

Shortness of Breath and so very scared

Hi All,

Well I wish I could say I am doing great but unfortunatly I am not feeling the greatest. I thought, let me get through chemo and then Herceptin would be smooth sailing but I get these moments of panic that nothing will ever be smooth sailing. The fear and anxiety just get overwhelming with every small ache. I have been feeling very short of breath for about 2wks now. I told my Onc and she said she will put in orders for me to have an echo and CT scan. I am waiting for that to be scheduled though. My heart rate is lower than normal but still in a good range of 72ish. I am not coughing and I don't have pain but I just can't seem to catch my breath. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest. Its all day no matter what I am doing and the more I think about it the harder it gets. Of course I start to panic, is it Heart failure from the Herceptin, is it lung mets, is it simply anxiety. It all scares me so very much.

I had a CT scan in mid Feb. of this year to look at my port as my doc was concerned about a clot in my port because of swelling in my face but that came back good and the swelling seemed to be an after affect of the chemo. If there was cancer could they have seen it then? Could it have just appeared in less than 2 months?
I also had an Echo in early March and all looked good then. Could my heart be affected so drastically in such a short amount of time.

I was sick with a horrible cold and had a cough that finally started going away after they gave me antibiotics. Other than that I have been feeling pretty good.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on and tell me if I am just being crazy. I know I just finished my chemo in January, have been on Herceptin and have had all sorts of scans but it all just doesn't completely reassure me.

---- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

Oh how I am trying so very hard to listen to Him and do just that. So very, very hard!!

6/27/2013 - Diagnostic Mammogram due to a tiny lesion found.
6/27/13 - Diagnosed with Breast Cancer at age 33 :'(
07/11/2013 - Surgical needle biopsy
07/15/2013 - Path report results from biopsy - DCIS with micro invasion, Pagents disease - ER/PR- Her2+++
7/26/13 - PET Scan CLEAR!!
8/19/13 - B/L Mastectomy w/DIEP Flap reconstructive surgery. Nodes removed clear!! Stage 1A. Positive Margins remaining
8/23/13 - Finally HOME from the hospital
9/10/13 - All drains out. YEAH!!
9/6/13 - 2nd Surgery to try and remove remaining positive margins. Port placed.
9/11/13 - Path report shows all tissue samples are neg. Clear Margins!!
10/3/13 First TCH treatment - Horrible amount of side effects.

11/10/11 - First weekly Herceptin treatment.
10/11/13 - Late night ER visit due to Neutropenic fever - WBC at 0 in the hospital.

11/17/13 - Ultrasound on left breast due to pain. Benign findings: Oil cysts and possible Fat Neurosis from reconstructive surgery.
11/24/13 - Round 2 TCH treatment.
11/25/13 - Neulasta Shot given. Side effects minimal. Woo Hoo!
11/27/13 - Said goodbye to my hair. :-(
01/14 - Mammogram and Ultra sound - CLEAR!
01/23/14 - Last scheduled Chemo! WOO HOO!
03/04/14 - Phase 2&3 reconstructive surgery DONE!
03/06/14 - 2 days after surgery and 1st Herceptin only treatment. Minimal side affects.
03/14 - Began having pain and weakness in my feet and legs. Doc thinks it is delayed side affects of chemo possibly Neuropathy. Could even be the Herceptin (what ever it is I would appreciate it if it went away :/)
03/14 - A little over 8 wks post chemo and hair is about 1/2in long. :) Not a whole lot but its getting there. Eyebrows are taking there time but are coming in nicely.
04/14 - Where did my eyelashes go? :/

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Lovemyboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Mel3

Re: Shortness of Breath and so very scared

Have you had a Muga scan? I had trouble breathing for a while with and after Herceptin, but that was with strenuous exercise. My EF got as low as 50 during treatment but they had me continue. I have recovered now. I also used to feel pressure in my chest from my port, but then I got used to it. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Mastectomy 8/18 nodes+
Taxol/Herceptin x 4
35 rads
Continue Herceptin for 1 year
Mel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Pray

Hope and Prayers to you and your family. Gods blessings.
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Becky

They are plenty of things that this could be besides cancer so put that out of your mind. It could even be anxiety which - well who isn't anxious during this time. Try to relax and do things that will take your mind off of this for awhile. It getting worse when you think about it is typical. Having had cancer and its treatment is very stressful and you aren't done yet. Its such a cluster f---!

Wishing you only good thoughts and a big hug.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
PinkGirl

you are not crazy. Going through the cancer experience is very stressful. Having lower estrogen levels can also cause feelings of panic. I had some panic attacks that made me short of breath. When stuff like this happens to us we have to get it checked out...make sure your onc knows about this.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
caya

I had shortness of breath a couple of years ago, mostly when I exerted myself, like going up a lot of stairs. I too was very scared, my doc did not think it was anything ominous, and after various testing, turns out I now have asthma. Never had it before, I am certain this is a late s/e of Herceptin, as shortness of breath is one of Herceptin's side effects. (although I did not have shortness of breath while on Herceptin).

I now am on an Advair discus 250 mg. daily for the asthma. Ah, B.C., the gift that keeps on giving...

Tell your doc. to sent you for an asthma test - you have to blow into a tube and hold it while the tech counts down, then you can breathe. I could barely do the test.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
BonnieR

You mentioned having recently had a bad cold and cough. This could just be residual
As Becky said, our first thought is cancer but the reality is usually more mundane
And I agree with the others about anxiety attacks. They can cause great shortness of breath. Even if we don't realize that as the catalyst Are you taking any anti anxiety meds? This sounds like a job for Ativan
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
linn65

Hi there,

My feet and Hands hurt all thru treatment and after which they felt it was neuropathy, and I just didn't think it was. Finally stopped after having my Vitamin D checked and was put on a mega dose 50,000 units for 12 weeks of it and Glusocimine recommended by my ONC, so I HIGHLY SUGGEST CHECKING OUT VIT D, B6, AND B12 LEVELS AND TAKING THE GLUSCOMINE. The ONC said it helped a lot of her patients with pain in hands/feet and if no difference in 30 days simply stop taking it. Also, a multi-vitamen with Iron the brand I am using is Advocare for that....

You are so young to be going thru such a tough thing.....As Becky said it is a Cluster F*** or another one you could call it is a major freaking goat roping!!!

I am still tired and my emotions are up and down.....But I have read it takes about 2 years to get through all of the treatment and it takes 2 years to get over it too. The cure and the collateral damage is something!!

I feel your pain, and I am sorry.
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
suzan w

I was going to suggest ativan as well. It takes the edge off. Good luck and let us hear from you as to how you are feeling.
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Lovemyboys3

So I wanted to give you all an update...

I continued to have shortness of breath, at times it was pretty bad, so my Onc scheduled a CT scan and Echo. Well let me say, it was not a great experience. During my CT scan, my vein blew and my arm swelled up almost instantly. It was very painful and scary!! I didn't know what was going on and the tech ran over and stopped the meds immediately and put a warm cloth on my arm. I had never heard of a vein "blowing" up so it really freaked me out. The swelling went down by the next morning but I can say I am now terrified of CT scans. :/
The results went to my doc and she said all looked pretty good. No Mets BUT the area near the port had a restriction (which is why the vein to blew). There was not enough room for the meds to go through so it backed up and my vein didn't like that.
I then had to have a V/Q scan of my lungs soon after. Thank the Lord, all came back clear at that point. My lungs are clear and there are no embolisms. Pfew!!
I have not received the results of my echo but my Onc said my heart sounds very strong and my pulse is great.
Go figure after all of this craziness I am breathing better. We are thinking it was either allergies or an anxiety attack.
In the mean time my doc sees my anemia isn't getting any better so she has me on a high dose of Vit. B12 and Iron. I have to say, ever since I started taking that, I have been feeling so much better in general. I was getting so tired all of the time and had no energy to do anything. Now I feel energized and am loving life.

I some how need to learn that not every ache and pain is cancer.
I need to live in the moment and trust in the Lord!

Thank you all for your continuous support!

6/27/2013 - Diagnostic Mammogram due to a tiny lesion found.
6/27/13 - Diagnosed with Breast Cancer at age 33 :'(
07/11/2013 - Surgical needle biopsy
07/15/2013 - Path report results from biopsy - DCIS with micro invasion, Pagents disease - ER/PR- Her2+++
7/26/13 - PET Scan CLEAR!!
8/19/13 - B/L Mastectomy w/DIEP Flap reconstructive surgery. Nodes removed clear!! Stage 1A. Positive Margins remaining
8/23/13 - Finally HOME from the hospital
9/10/13 - All drains out. YEAH!!
9/6/13 - 2nd Surgery to try and remove remaining positive margins. Port placed.
9/11/13 - Path report shows all tissue samples are neg. Clear Margins!!
10/3/13 First TCH treatment - Horrible amount of side effects.

11/10/11 - First weekly Herceptin treatment.
10/11/13 - Late night ER visit due to Neutropenic fever - WBC at 0 in the hospital.

11/17/13 - Ultrasound on left breast due to pain. Benign findings: Oil cysts and possible Fat Neurosis from reconstructive surgery.
11/24/13 - Round 2 TCH treatment.
11/25/13 - Neulasta Shot given. Side effects minimal. Woo Hoo!
11/27/13 - Said goodbye to my hair. :-(
01/14 - Mammogram and Ultra sound - CLEAR!
01/23/14 - Last scheduled Chemo! WOO HOO!
03/04/14 - Phase 2&3 reconstructive surgery DONE!
03/06/14 - 2 days after surgery and 1st Herceptin only treatment. Minimal side affects.
03/14 - Began having pain and weakness in my feet and legs. Doc thinks it is delayed side affects of chemo possibly Neuropathy. Could even be the Herceptin (what ever it is I would appreciate it if it went away :/)
03/14 - A little over 8 wks post chemo and hair is about 1/2in long. :) Not a whole lot but its getting there. Eyebrows are taking there time but are coming in nicely.
04/14 - Where did my eyelashes go? :/

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Lovemyboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
caya

Thanks for the update, glad nothing ominous going on.
Sorry about the vein blow up, man, it's always something.
Could your shortness of breath been due to your anemia, as that is one of the possible side effects? And now you say with Vitamin B12 and Iron you are feeling better... who knows? I get a Vitamin B12 short every 6-8weeks due to low levels (this runs in my family).

As long as you are feeling better, less anxious etc., it's all good.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
tricia keegan

I felt the same and had it checked but I was fine thankfully and hope you will be too
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote