HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
SelmaG

Re: How Her2+ BC patients develop brain metastases

Rolepaul, I amglad your wife is doing well, wow since 2012, thats great! I have Stage IV breast cancer (Her2+,ER/PR-), after 4 months of chemo and until now receiving Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks (since january), on a brain MRI on Oct 23 they found about 20 brain lesions . Only option given was WBRT. My question for you is did your wife had single brain tumor that s how you know what kind cancer? Did she do any radiation therapy before trying the protocol you mention? this is all new to me, I avery confused about the options available and very scare of doing whole brain radiation. I wonder if the side effects are with the extra time... Thank you.
SelmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
SelmaG

Rolepaul, Iam a glad your wife is doing well. wow since 2012, thats great! I have Stage IV breast cancer (Her2+,ER/PR-), after 4 months of chemo and on Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks since january , now they found about 20 brain lesions on MRI last Oct23. Only option given was WBRT. My question for you is did your wife had single brain tumor that s how you know what kind cancer? Did she have any type of radiation therapy? this is all new to me, I am very confused about the options available and very scare of doing whole brain radiation, I wonder if the side effects are worth the extra time...Thank you.
SelmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #23
Rolepaul

Nina is doing great. She had some cyberknife treatments, but they did not work well. I think having the IT Herceptin with Toptoecan would be better for you as it was for Nina. Email me at chemengmba@aol.com
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #24
Catherine

Thanks for this post!

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #25
Rolepaul

Nina had several lesions on her brain. When we did "whack-a-mole" radiation, we never were able to eliminate the lesions. When se did the IT Herceptin and Topotecan, we put all but one into remission. That one we had to have treated with a laser. The cancer tumors can modify with treatment. Immunotherapy might work for five years and then need something else. The Herceptin and Toptoecan pairing delays remission and gets most of the lesions. The more we have patients treated, the more we know about slightly modifying treatment for each case. The IT Herceptin and Topotecan should get rid of most, if not all, of the brain lesions. Then CyberKnife or another means can deal with any remaining disease. Six years ago, the median time after discovery was 4 to 6 months. With IT Herceptin and Topotecan, it is at about 30 to 36 months, but at over four years (as the database gets more time after treatment) for those who are not paralyzed.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote