HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
supportwife

Anybody tried Vitamin C infusion?

Hi All,

A friend of mine who has battled kidney cancer is raving about Vit C infusion. I researched on the internet and apparently they give high doses of Vit C through IV. I am talking about 200,000mg. They swear that this is the cure for cancer. Has anybody tried this? What are your thoughts?
supportwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Lucy

Re: Anybody tried Vitamin C infusion?

It used to be that when I traveled I would get sick when I got home, without fail. After one instance many years ago someone mentioned that taking vitamin C could help with the problem. I never bought vitamin C pills but I did start drinking orange juice for a few days when I would get where I was going and for a few days after I got home. I never got sick when I did that so I do believe there are healing properties to taking vitamin C but I wouldn't depend on it to cure cancer. I'd be willing to participate in a study and /or take in in conjunction with other cancer treatments but I think if a doctor told me their only treatment for cancer was high doses of vitamin C, I'd be looking for another doctor.

Is your friend getting other treatments as well or is it only vitamin C?
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
supportwife

Thanks Lucy, My friend had renal carcinoma a couple of years ago. He is currently in remission. He is trying all to prevent a recurrence. I researched on internet and saw a couple of youtube videos where apparently terminal patients got better with VIT C. Not sure how much of that to believe.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
BonnieR

I know you are looking for answers and hope but, honestly, if this, or anything, was a cure for cancer, don't you think it would be shouted from the rooftops?? There are legions of sites professing "cures" but they are usually way off the mainstream and are often attached to quack medicine. Don't let them distract you
We only have a first best shot at treating cancer and I think it's important to go with what is proven to work and is fact-based
Do your homework and keep your eye on the prize
Keep the faith

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
v-ness

i think vitamin C infusions and vitamin D infusions (clinical trials on the latter for colon cancer) are simply used in an attempt to get the cancer to respond better to the real treatment. 77% of americans are vitamin D deficient and there is supposed to be some correlation between lack of vitamin D and cancer. both my boyfriend (colon cancer) and i are taking hefty vitamin D simply because it can't hurt. but cure? if only it was as easy as vitamins and supplements. i am sorry about your friend and wish her well. v
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
tricia keegan

When I was dx ten years ago I met a lady on the Komen board who chose this over chemo like the rest of us were doing. I'm sorry to say she was dx again as stage iv with bone mets a few years later and has been on and off chemo ever since and makes a point of telling everyone she can not to make the mistake she did.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
supportwife

Thanks everyone, Thats what I thought so too. Giving 200000mg of Vit C in one infusion is too much for anybody to handle.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
waterdreamer

I was doing really well with my cancer treatment (alternatively) until I started taking high dose vitamin C. It made my cancer worse. I do not think it is good for Her2+ cancers. Thats my experience.
Nov 2009 Mets to lungs and bones.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Started Navelbine weekly. Did one round with Herceptin.
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
December 2013 scans show no sign of active cancer.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
May 2014 - stop Herceptin.
Sept 22, 2014 Brain MRI clear :) PET/CT Progression in lungs.
Sept 2014, Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin.
Nov 2014 - Decide to take a break from all treatment.
May 2015 - Brain met radiated with Novalis
July 2015 - Have progression in right lung.
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Nov 2015 - Thoracentesis 1500ml removed from right lung.
Dec 2015 - Two tiny 1mm brain mets radiated in right cerebellum.
Feb 2016 - Thoracentesis 2200ml drained from right lung
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
March 2016 - Thoracentesis 1650ml drained from right lung.
April 2016 – Thoracentesis 1500 ml drained from right lung.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
My doctor wants to put me on hospice.
Dec 23rd 2016 - I am granted compassionate use of Neratanib.
May 31st 2017 - still on Neratinib, feeling good.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote