HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Lovemyboys3

Muscle pain and weakness

Hi All,

Well its been a while since I have posted on the site but I peek in every now and then. I have had my last scheduled chemo treatment about 2 weeks ago and am about to start the Herceptin treatment every three weeks. I do have a questions that I am hoping someone could help me with. Like I said its been about 2 weeks post chemo and I am having a lot of muscle weakness and pain. I work on the second floor and have always taken the stairs but lately I feel like my legs are on fire after just the first 8 steps. Has anyone else had this issue? I force myself to continue to walk the treadmill for at least 15 minutes a day but its very difficult. I used to be able to do 30 mins or more. My legs feel heavy like I have worked out for hours. I see my Onc next week and am going to talk to her about this but wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.
I also feel this slight flutter under my eye that is driving me nuts! I have read that this is a common issue but boy does it drive me crazy. Any suggestions on how to get this to stop?

Thank you in advance to all!

6/27/2013 - Diagnostic Mammogram due to a tiny lesion found.
6/27/13 - Diagnosed with Breast Cancer at age 33 :'(
07/11/2013 - Surgical needle biopsy
07/15/2013 - Path report results from biopsy - DCIS with micro invasion, Pagents disease - ER/PR- Her2+++
7/26/13 - PET Scan CLEAR!!
8/19/13 - B/L Mastectomy w/DIEP Flap reconstructive surgery. Nodes removed clear!! Stage 1A. Positive Margins remaining
8/23/13 - Finally HOME from the hospital
9/10/13 - All drains out. YEAH!!
9/6/13 - 2nd Surgery to try and remove remaining positive margins. Port placed.
9/11/13 - Path report shows all tissue samples are neg. Clear Margins!!
10/3/13 First TCH treatment - Horrible amount of side effects.

11/10/11 - First weekly Herceptin treatment.
10/11/13 - Late night ER visit due to Neutropenic fever - WBC at 0 in the hospital.

11/17/13 - Ultrasound on left breast due to pain. Benign findings: Oil cysts and possible Fat Neurosis from reconstructive surgery.
11/24/13 - Round 2 TCH treatment.
11/25/13 - Neulasta Shot given. Side effects minimal. Woo Hoo!
11/27/13 - Said goodbye to my hair. :-(
01/14 - Mammogram and Ultra sound - CLEAR!
01/23/14 - Last scheduled Chemo! WOO HOO!
03/04/14 - Phase 2&3 reconstructive surgery DONE!
03/06/14 - 2 days after surgery and 1st Herceptin only treatment. Minimal side affects.
03/14 - Began having pain and weakness in my feet and legs. Doc thinks it is delayed side affects of chemo possibly Neuropathy. Could even be the Herceptin (what ever it is I would appreciate it if it went away :/)
03/14 - A little over 8 wks post chemo and hair is about 1/2in long. :) Not a whole lot but its getting there. Eyebrows are taking there time but are coming in nicely.
04/14 - Where did my eyelashes go? :/

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Lovemyboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Muscle pain and weakness

Hi,

I get the eye thing from time to time and was told its stress related so could be that, regarding the leg weakness, it took me many months to recover all my energy and stamina after chemo finished. I was told it can take the same amount of time as having the chemo did, we've put our bodies through a lot and they need time to recover so do cut yourself some slack and accept it will take time and rushing it won't help.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Jackie07

Hi,

Have you been getting the white blood cell booster shots lately?

I remember heavy legs (like there's lead in my calves) after the shots. Perhaps that's the cause? It will go away after a while.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Oh yes, Taxotere and legs of lead. I shuffled when I walked. Couldn't lift my legs. Kept stumbling. Couldn't lift my feet, so the toe of the shoe would get caught. Also my arms had deep muscle pain.

L-CARNITINE 500 mg -- on an empty stomach -- 2 x a day
CO-ENZYME Q10 -- 150 mg w/a meal 2 x a day
ALPHA LIPOIC ACID -- 300 mg w/a meal 2 x a day

This helps a lot.

It took a long while for that to subside with me, but these supplements surely helped!

I had major tearing of the eyes. Forever clutching a tissue. Kept a ziploc in my bag full of wet tissues. After 5 ophthalmologists I was told I had really really dry eyes. Meaning -- take eye drops (without preservatives) and use HOURLY! Annoying but most effective! Relief. No more burning (like there are slivers of glass in my eye), itching, tearing...

I use Bausch & Lomb's individual vials (28 to a box) of SOOTHE. After a few wks, I could move to every 2 hours and on and on. I STILL after all these years use the drops first thing in the A.M. and last thing at night. If I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I have to use drops. I keep the vials everywhere!

Maybe the little tics will stop.

Of course B12 concentrated METHYL COBALAMINE is excellent for nerve repair.

I sure hope you soon feel better and better Love! It'll definitely get better.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
Aussie Girl

Hi Lovemyboys3,

I had sore burning legs. I started to think it would never improve. My anemia and platelets got better over a few weeks. I took Nurofen twice a day (I had only been allowed panadol/ tylenol before that). The Nurofen helped, as did hot showers, and regular exercise - mainly walking. I didn't push myself hard. I couldn't walk up a hill. I had to let myself regenerate.

About two months after the last infusion I felt much better. I was still quite bad at about 6 weeks, but 2 weeks later I was much better. Now there is only a bit of stiffness if I sit still too long. I still get tired and the herceptin infusion makes me tired the next day.

Hope you feel better soon.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Well, I guess I'm just realizing that in 1998 the Taxotere protocol was different. Brutal really. I was on T for 9 mnths...

I couldn't handle it anymore. My onc saw the difference in me as I burst into tears in the chemo room after oddly having to wait (in pain) for nearly 2 hrs for my many hrs of tx. I am tough. I don't complain. He happened into the chemo room which he normally didn't do came to say hello to me and asked how I was. He immediately said, Okay, no more Taxotere for you. In fact you can leave today if you want. You don't have to have it. I took one more tx. As my multiple tumors throughout my liver had shrunken but still appeared to be present. (I later learned from two independent radiologists associated w/2 entirely independent oncs I sought additional input from) that each believed what they were looking at was necrotic tissue. Cyst-like, filled with fluid. One pronounced me in "cautious remission". And I've remained there ever since.

My fav onc who gave me a pass said, There's no reason to believe that Herceptin alone can keep you there. And so I remained on H. For 10 yrs.

After that final T tx I went home, got into bed, or fell into bed, and didn't move but for my H tx's which were weekly back then. I could barely speak. Not even to my then 2 yr old granddaughter. But I persevered, and am truly grateful for each day.

I am seeing that the newer protocol for Taxotere, the freight train drug one sister calls Terrortere, is a bit gentler.

So many offer support and great advice for dealing with the side effects in this thread and Adriana's thread dealing w/her first time on H! As always super suggestions, my Sisters!

I wish you, and Addie well, as you make your way through the myriad side effects that are quite painful and disabling, but in my humble opinion all worth it -- cause it did the job! It killed all that cancer in me! With the help of Herceptin (thank you Dennis Slamon) and all my supplements, meditation, guided imagery, positive mantras and persistently optimistic attitude despite it all.

You can do this!

With Love and Light,
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Coux92

Lovemyboys3, I had the leg fatigue just as you describe along with tightness of my quads , I would go to sit on the couch and tuck my legs under me and would feel pulling and stretching. I guess that lasted about 6 weeks after my last chemo. I'm four months post chemo now and feeling an awful lot like my old self! You will too...hang in there
5/15/13 dx IDC 1CM,
5/20/13 BRAC 1&2 neg
5/28/13 lumpectomy and SNB, ER/PR/Her-2+, Nodes neg,positive margins
6/13/13 revision of margins . Now clear
6/26/13 first TCH
Chemo Ninja~kutaki Zika Zukuchiri
10/18/13-Bx of calcification-neg whew
11/7/13 Started Radiation.
01/2014- Started Tamoxifen
06/09/14-Steriotactic BX left breast calcification-Benign
06/18/2014-completed one year of Herceptin!
Coux92 is offline   Reply With Quote