HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Lovemyboys3

Recent Echo

Hello All,

I recently had my 4th chemo treatment and am so far doing pretty good. God willing I have 2 more to go. :-) I think I finally have a pretty good handle on my meds and what to do for each side effect. The worst this time around is the fatigue. That has been tough.

Any how, last week I had an echo as my doc says its important to watch the heart while on Herceptin. Today I saw her for my weekly Herceptin and she said that the over all echo was good and the function is perfect BUT there is a little fluid around the heart. As everything usually does it sort of freaked me out. She, on the other hand, was not very worried about it and said its not uncommon for a little fluid build up during chemo. She does want to keep an eye on it and has me scheduled for another echo at the beginning of the new year. She is a very thorough doctor and anytime I have a concern she runs every test there is to make sure there is nothing to worry about and to ease my mind. So I know if she was very concerned about this she would have run test right away. She listens to my heart every time and it sounds strong. All of my counts are great except for a little Anemia but other wise all my counts are really good.

So here is my question, has anyone else had this issue or heard of this issue? Did it go away on its own or is it something that could potentially delay treatment or cause issues?

Any words of advice is greatly appreciated.

6/27/2013 - Diagnostic Mammogram due to a tiny lesion found.
6/27/13 - Diagnosed with Breast Cancer at age 33 :'(
07/11/2013 - Surgical needle biopsy
07/15/2013 - Path report results from biopsy - DCIS with micro invasion, Pagents disease - ER/PR- Her2+++
7/26/13 - PET Scan CLEAR!!
8/19/13 - B/L Mastectomy w/DIEP Flap reconstructive surgery. Nodes removed clear!! Stage 1A. Positive Margins remaining
8/23/13 - Finally HOME from the hospital
9/10/13 - All drains out. YEAH!!
9/6/13 - 2nd Surgery to try and remove remaining positive margins. Port placed.
9/11/13 - Path report shows all tissue samples are neg. Clear Margins!!
10/3/13 First TCH treatment - Horrible amount of side effects.

11/10/11 - First weekly Herceptin treatment.
10/11/13 - Late night ER visit due to Neutropenic fever - WBC at 0 in the hospital.

11/17/13 - Ultrasound on left breast due to pain. Benign findings: Oil cysts and possible Fat Neurosis from reconstructive surgery.
11/24/13 - Round 2 TCH treatment.
11/25/13 - Neulasta Shot given. Side effects minimal. Woo Hoo!
11/27/13 - Said goodbye to my hair. :-(
01/14 - Mammogram and Ultra sound - CLEAR!
01/23/14 - Last scheduled Chemo! WOO HOO!
03/04/14 - Phase 2&3 reconstructive surgery DONE!
03/06/14 - 2 days after surgery and 1st Herceptin only treatment. Minimal side affects.
03/14 - Began having pain and weakness in my feet and legs. Doc thinks it is delayed side affects of chemo possibly Neuropathy. Could even be the Herceptin (what ever it is I would appreciate it if it went away :/)
03/14 - A little over 8 wks post chemo and hair is about 1/2in long. :) Not a whole lot but its getting there. Eyebrows are taking there time but are coming in nicely.
04/14 - Where did my eyelashes go? :/

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Lovemyboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Cannon

Re: Recent Echo

I do know that this is one of those things that is often "an incidental finding" - like if you just scanned a bunch of healthy people, some of them would have some fluid around the heart. So it probably is not a big deal.

If you have any feelings of chest pain or difficulty breathing (which would mean there was more than a little fluid), I would call right away, otherwise, wait for the next echo.
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Aussie Girl

Re: Recent Echo

Hi again Lovemyboys3,

Yes, your doctor is right. I don't think you need worry about the small amount of fluid. I'm glad to hear your chemo is generally going well. The fatigue can tend to build up as you go on but will reduce once the hard chemo part is done. Take good care of yourself.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote