HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
mekasan

"Thumping" in Ear? Can it be serious? Does A/C cross into the brain?

Can this a sign of something serious, like a lesion or tumor?

Although this is ear related, it is not the same as tinnitus (ringing) so I wanted to start a new thread.

Has anyone else sensed an intermittent painless "thumping" in the ear. I have been experiencing this on and off for almost 2 months now. Mostly on my right side at different levels of intensity and duration. It comes and goes for no explicable reasons (i keep track of caffine, exerices, foods.) I do feel it may occur more frequently when I feel exhausted and low on sleep. [I am a law student and spend at least four night per week staying up too late studying.]

I had my blood pressure checked (normal), EKG's (normal) and another MUGA (normal). Now I have an appointment with an ENT on 11/10

I am finished with Herceptin 12/6 and I am concerned about finding that cancer has set up camp in my head. (I was dx stage 1, (w/2 small IDC + 4cm of DCIS), I had two masts, neg nodes, and A/C chemo (not T). I am hoping that my docs got everything. I know herceptin does not cross into the brain, but I thought A/C did.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Shannon
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Bi-lat mastectomy w/ lat flap recon + cohesive gel implants
1 year (every 3 weeks) Herceptin
mekasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
CPA

I have seen quite a few posts from people with both sinus and ear issues after chemo and herceptin. My wife also experienced some dizziness/vertigo that was blamed on an inner ear infection and she had recurrent sinus infections. The doc said the two could have been related. Have you read the posts about herceptin side effects?

http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...t=side+effects

Hope I got the link right!!
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
mekasan

I did look into the possibility of this being a side effect

I had discussed with my doctor and research "ear thumping" as a possible side effect of Herceptin. My doctor ruled it out. With concern stemming from the heart toxicity related to Hercpetin and pounding in the ear suggesting blood pressure related symptomology, he order those heart tests -With everything coming up within normal limits, thus ruling out herceptin as the cause.

The thumping is really bizarre. My own research has resulted in repeated remarks that ear thumping could be a sign of a tumor or maybe muscle spasms. I can handle muscle spasm, but I can live without the tumor.

I guess what I am really asking is whether this ear thumping can be related to brain mets?

My guts tells me that it is most likely caused by exhaustion leading to muscle spasms inside my ear. I had been out of work and school since my first mast and now, over a year late, I am back full - speed ahead. Law school is demanding, I also work part-time. I have been training to run short road races to stay fit, healthy, and sane. Every three weeks I fly back and forth from Fl to NJ so I can continue treatment with my incredible doctors. It adds up and I am very tired.

Thank you for your response. I am glad that someone read this. I did look at that link.. but again nothing related to thumping.
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Sherryg683

If what I've heard is correct..A/C does not cross the brain barrier..correct me please if I am wrong..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
karenann

Shannon,

I had terrible sinus and ear problems while on Herceptin.

I had to have a brain MRI and see a neurologist because my left pupil would dialate and my eyesight would become blurry for 5 to 12 hrs. This happened about 4 times. I was finally diagnosed with ocular migraines.

I also had to go to the ER because of a benign vertigo problem. It was explained to me, that my ear was so inflammed that it caused one of the celia (I think that is the correct name) to fall into the canal which made me dizzy for about 48 hours.

I am sure that Herceptin was the culprit of both of these problems.

Problably what you are experiencing is being caused by Herceptin, but just to be on the safe side and for some piece of mind, why don't you have an MRI. You will feel better when you get the good results.

Hope this helps.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
CherylS

Shannon,

I also have that "thumping" quite often, but have for a long time. I also get a "swishing" sound in both ears. I have ringing in my ears too. I don't think it is heart related because it is very random. I'm sorry, but all I can tell you is that I have it too. I don't know its cause, but it is really bothersome, I know. I would love to know what it is.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
jeff

tmj?

Hey Shannon,

Any chance--with all this stress and exhaustion--that you grind your teeth at night? This kind of ear feeling (or just a feeling of fullness in the ears) is typical of people with TMJ. Maybe worth seeing a dentist if so...

Best,
Jeff
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
John21

My guess too would be the sinus reaction of the HErceptin. Doctors won't confirm this of course, but it your body. If you are concerned, go check it out for piece of mind. You do not want to kick yourself later if you wrong.

John
John21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
margo

Question Thumping in Ear / Pulsatile Tinnitus

I am being driven batty by pulsatile tinnitus. It started about 8 weeks ago. My ENT is sending me for an MRI posterior fossa (sp?) and an IAC MRA of my neck and brain late this week.

I take a sleeping pill on the worst nights. I have cut down on my cups of tea (not easy), and dark chocolate (even harder). The only vice I have left is cream cheese!

Since the last e-mail in this thread, have any of you come across a remedy that eases the tinnitus? I wonder if the Herceptin is doing this?

Diagnosed 08/2004 @ 45; Metaplastic Breast Cancer (MpBC)
Stage IV, HER2 3+, ER-/PR-, Met to Liver

08/2004 - Neo-adjuvant Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin (TCH) - 4 rounds.
09/2004 -
Herceptin - Weekly.
11/2004 - Liver RFA, followed w/TCH - 2 rounds.
12/2004 - Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection, followed w/TCH - 2 rounds.
05/2005 - Radiation - Breast, shoulder, neck (left side) - 35X
09/2005 - Developed severe osteoporosis - Boniva - monthly
04/2008 - Herceptin - Every 3 weeks (changed from weekly).
05/2012 - Mets: 3 new liver and 2 lymph nodes.
06/2012 - Start 16 rounds Navelbine and Herceptin weekly.
11/2012 - Liver resection, RFAs (8), lymphadenectomy (2), cholecystectomy.
12/2012 - Herceptin and Letrozole.
05/2014 - Mets: 5 aortocaval nodes & 1 mesenteric.
06/2014 - Herceptin/Perjeta/Taxotere - 6 rounds.
10/2014 - Herceptin / Perjeta - Open ended
04/2015 - Progression: Porta hepatic node, 2 aortocaval nodes.
05/2015 - Exploratory surgery treating progression, 12 nodes removed.
07/2015 - Restart Herceptin / Perjeta
01/2016 - Progression 8 nodes.
02/2016 - Starting T-DM1 (Kadcyla) - Open ended.
07/2017 - Progression.
margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #10
Debra

yes to ear issues

Shannon -

I don't know if I can describe it as thumping but what I have been experiencing for approximately 6 months now (I was done with herceptin in April) is a constant sound of a "boat motor" from a far distance. When it is quiet, I hear it all the time. When it is noisy around me, I don't hear it. I mentioned to my oncologist and he suggested I see an ENT which I will next month. I had no issues at all with my ears/hearing until all of this bc stuff so I do feel there is a relation to either chemo or herceptin. I don't feel it is a tumor or such; positive thinking I guess! Hope you find the culprit.

Diag. 11/05 at age 40 triple positive
3.8 cm tumor and 9 mm tumor
Stage IIb/SN positive(no other nodes)Grade 3
Bilat. mastect. 12/05 (Rt.prophylactic) followed with AC/taxol/Herceptin/tamoxifen then switched to arimidex after hysterectomy in 12/06. August 07 switched to Aromasin due to severe jt. pain from Arimidex. Nov. 2011 No more meds and NED!
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
BonnieR

Shannon, I can't add anything to the discussion but I just want to say what a remarkable young woman you are! The schedule you maintain is daunting. And I truly admire all you are accomplishing. I hope you get resolution to your concern. Keep the faith!
Bonnie

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #12
Hopeful

Tinnitus

I started with severe ringing in the ears following my third Herceptin treatment (I was on the 3 week regimen) and 2 weeks on Femara. I researched tinnitus, and found there can be an estrogen component to it, as there are estrogen receptors in the ears. There are anectdotal reports of women going suddenly deaf after taking oral contraceptives, which was reversed when they stopped taking the drugs. I switched from Femara to Arimidex, and the tinnitus is less loud but still there. I had to briefly take a few Femara several months ago when my Arimidex ran out and I was waiting to get my new rx filled (love this mail in pharmacy stuff), and the "volume" went up again, so I am pretty sure it is the AI at this point. I have been off Herceptin for 4 months with no change. Hope this helps.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #13
juanita

Age of the thread is no problem. Those of us finished with our year can teach the newcomers. I do still have problems with my ear about 1 1/2 yrs done w/ herceptin. The onc and rad onc don't know, so I'm going to see my pcp next week to see how my cholesterol is and I'm going to ask him. If he doesn't know I'll ask to go see an ent.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
SoCalGal

I don't get a thumping but a swishing...

...for me it's always when my red blood count dips. I can ALWAYS tell that my blood is low by this swishing noise, when I bend over. It's as if I can hear my blood pumping thru my ears. (Other signs are excessive thirst and of course, fatigue). I have accurately known when my count is down over the last 10 years. My onc is still not impressed by this skill.

I notice that you are very young. Are you familiar with the YSC (Young Survivor's Coalition? www.youngsurvival.org). I know several young woman who are active.

--Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #15
Adriana Mangus

Question Thumping/ringing in ear

Me too, have experienced this awful sensation, mostly in my right ear. My blood pressure is optimal for someone my age and never had any problems in that area. It's weird, but I do share the feeling with you all..
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
mekasan

follow up to my initial concern

After my appointment with the ENT, I was told that the thumping in my ear was a muscle spasm and I could have the muscle severed if it did not stop. I opted not to have anyone cut anything inside my ear, since I enjoy hearing (generally).

After getting acclimated to my schedule, I made an effort to get as much sleep as I possibly could (which was likely still too little). I noticed that I when I got more rest, the thumping diminished.

I still hear it now and then, but mostly during days when I have gotten little rest the right before. It's has become somewhat of a gentle reminder that I better get more rest.

Take Care.
4 cm DCIS
0 nodes
ER-/PR-
Her2+ (5.33 FISH)
AC (4 cycles)
Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #17
pffida

Thumping in ear

While taking A-C, I developed a horrible sore throat. Took penicillin and it went away. However, I then developed a thumping in my ear. It was the oddest thing -- when I would turn my head, "thump"!

I went to the GP who said it was a side effect of the infection I had. I needed to take decongestants for about two weeks (even though I didn't feel congested) and it cleared up, never to return. You might want to try that to see if it clears up.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
tousled1

I don't have thumpiing in my ear but for the last two weeks I have an echo in my right ear. Everytime or almost everytime I talk I hear an echo of what I've said in my right ear. I have an appointment with oncologist Thursday and am going to ask her about it. Aslo A/C does not cross the brain blood barrier.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
Patty F

I just completed my 2nd A-C Thursday and have a very bad sore throat. I called the Dr today and they gave me meds for it. No ear problems yet......
Patty F is offline   Reply With Quote