HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
ita

? for those who've had hyster and no hormones.

Hi everyone,

What do we do about bone loss? I eat well, work out 5 days a week and my bones are creakin'. Being 36 makes me wonder how long can I last without breaking a bone? I was already told I have osteopenia of the hip. I think about my grandmother, whose 91, she had a hyster in her 60's and she just had her first fall. Will I make it 30 years without brittle bones? What about the AI's, don't they make it worse? I take Fosamax, but how much will that help and what about the side effects from it? I just keep envisioning my body being a blob and my bones just splitting into a million little pieces.

Is there anything else we can do???

Thanks,
Ita
ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
pffida

I had a hysterectomy at 40 and took hormones for the first couple of years, until my older sister was diagnosed with BC. Had arguments with doctor, who said you're more likely to die of heart disease than BC (back when they thought hormones prevented heart disease). I refused.

My mom, at 78, has severe bone loss. Two years ago, within a 16 month period, she had two hip fractures, a pelvic fracture and another fall that took just as long to recover. She had been misdiagnosed in a couple other areas and had been taking medication that was causing her to blackout, hence the falls.

I had a bone scan last year and I also have osteopena. Last summer I fell and broke my hand -- even the hand xray said I have it in my hand!

I have taken Evista for the past 5 years; unfortunately, I didn't have a baseline bone scan before starting. Therefore, we don't know if the Evista has had an impact. That won't happen until my next scan in a few years.

You're doing great with exercise and strength training. Short of that, along with drugs such as Evista, that's about it.

Interestingly enough, my husband also has it in the balls of his feet!!! Very painful.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink

In '01 I was told I had osteopenia (from bone density test) and put on a prophylactic dosage of Fosamax (which was daily back in the day). I took a half dosage for 4 yrs and then told to stop. My bones were beautiful! I had no idea that the drug could not only retard further deterioration but improve the condition. '05 and '07 bone density tests were both beautiful. Of course I take Calcium 600 + 600 w/D 200 + 200 (dosing twice a day not all at once). I also now take D3 1000 as recommended by my oncological nutritionist.

I would say, please visualize yourself as strong and keep on exercising and doing your thing. You are not a blob with creaking bones. Don't buy into that imagery. Good for you for doing whatever you can to stay well and healthy. With love... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
AlaskaAngel

source of vitamin D

Whether it makes a real difference or not I can't say, but if there is any chance at all for 20 minutes of significant skin exposure to natural sunshine I substitute it for the daily vitamin D pill. The bone density I just had was in the normal range.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
R.B.

I posted a reply to this earlier but I must have done something wrong as it is not there.

You might like to look at the balancing omega three six posts.

Several trial have suggested that omega threes / DHA reduces bone loss.

Improving the omega three six ratio should help reduce inflammatory pressures in the body.

If of interest there is material on this site you can search using the search button above (it took me a while to find it).

Or you will find trial material on NCBI - enter say DHA and osteoporosis in the search engine.

If you need any help or more information please come back.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
ita

thank you

Hello ladies,

Thank you for the replies. I love the fact that we have a place we can come to and pick each others minds for help.

I'll have to check how much Vit. D I take. Living in Florida I get plenty of sun.

I just recently started taking Omega 3 so that should help.

Andi,
I did not know there was such a thing as an oncological nutritionist. Could you give me more info. Sounds as if we could all benefit from this after all the chemo and radiation we have gone through.

Once again, thank you all.

Ita
ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink HELLO ITA! my sweet one...

I have a 6/30 thread TO "SUPPLEMENT" OR WAIT that gives most of the info re my NY oncological nutritionist -- a rare bird to be sure. Wish I had such a genius in Fla. He is cutting edge, ever tweaking my supplement list, with my specific pathology of course. I give his name and # and a list of what I take, per Gaynor. He is an INTEGRATIVE oncologist who believes in meditation and participating in your own wellness with guided thoughts and imagery. He has a book called HEALING ESSENCE that changed my life when I read it at initial dx in '95. My daughter Pamela gave me the book. I had goosebumps from page one. When I metastasized in '98 I went to him and have continued with this remarkable man all along. I actually have 5 oncs. Each is brilliant and each add a little something differenct to the mix. I have benefited greatly from MY TEAM. Sending healing energy to you and all my Soul Sisters whom I love dearly... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote