HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
R.B.

PGE2 influences HER2 expression which means Omega 6 will increase HER2 expression

I have also posted this on the Omega 3:6 thread “The traditional diet of Greece and cancer” but it is so significant I have reposted it as a separate item.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...d=1#post198943

I have long asked if Omega 6 has a role in HER2, and if herceptin somehow influences related pathways.

This trial proves Omega 6 product PGE2 has a role in HER2 by increasing HER expression. It is saying a reduction on PGE2 expression = a reduction in HER2 expression.

PGE 2 is made from Omega 6. IF you do not have an excess of Omega 6 in your system you will not make so much PGE2.

DHA is a more effective COX2 (PGE2) blocker than many drugs.

This is an excellent blog and Stephan is currently looking at Omega 6 and heart disease, and you might find the background helpful. http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/

RB

Free Access
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...medid=19399184

AND within the paper

"As positive control for COX2 downregulation, cells were treated with the COX2-specific inhibitor Celecoxib® at 20 and 40 µM for 48 hours. 40 µM Celecoxib® significantly inhibited PGE2 production by more than 80% (p<0.001). Consistent with a prior report that PGE2 influences HER2 expression [29], we found that reduction of HER2 correlated to a reduction in PGE2 synthesis (Figure 3B)."

t10c12 conjugated linoleic acid suppresses HER2 protein and enhances apoptosis in SKBr3 breast cancer cells: possible role of COX2.
Flowers M, Thompson PA.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA. mflowers@email.arizona.edu

BACKGROUND: HER2-targeted therapy with the monoclonal antibody trastuzumab (Herceptin) has improved disease-free survival for women diagnosed with HER2-positive breast cancers; however, treatment resistance and disease progression are not uncommon. Current data suggest that resistance to treatment in HER2 cancers may be a consequence of NF-kappaB overexpression and increased COX2-derived prostaglandin E2 (PGE(2)). Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has been shown to have anti-tumor properties and to inhibit NF-kappaB activity and COX2. METHODS: In this study, HER2-overexpressing SKBr3 breast cancer cells were treated with t10c12 CLA. Protein expression of the HER2 receptor, nuclear NF-kappaB p65, and total and phosphorylated IkappaB were examined by western blot and immunofluorescence. PGE(2) levels were determined by ELISA. Proliferation was measured by metabolism of 3-(4, 5-Dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2, 5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT), and apoptosis was measured by FITC-conjugated Annexin V staining and flow cytometry. RESULTS/CONCLUSIONS: We observed a significant decrease in HER2 protein expression on western blot following treatment with 40 and 80 microM t10c12 CLA (p<0.01 and 0.001, respectively) and loss of HER2 protein in cells using immunoflourescence that was most pronounced at 80 microM. Protein levels of nuclear NF-kappaB p65 were also significantly reduced at the 80 microM dose. This was accompanied by a significant decrease in PGE(2) levels (p = 0.05). Pretreatment with t10c12 CLA significantly enhanced TNFalpha-induced apoptosis and the anti-proliferative action of trastuzumab (p = 0.05 and 0.001, respectively). These data add to previous reports of an anti-tumor effect of t10c12 CLA and suggest an effect on the HER2 oncogene that may be through CLA mediated downregulation of COX2-derived PGE(2).

Last edited by R.B.; 05-23-2009 at 02:41 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
Ellie F

Thank you very much for your post. We are privileged to have yourself, Lani,Rich and othersso committed to drawing our attention to the latest research.
Your post prompted me to read some of your earlier posts and I found the one about the possible synergy between omega 3 and taxanes. I had started taking fish oils but stopped when I had my first dose of taxotere thinking it may have a negative effect!! As of today I am back on it!!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Thank you for being a patient teacher.

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
R.B.

Thank you for your kind comments.

I wish I could get more people to understand how important this is. (-:

Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Shobha

I echo the sentiments by others. Thanks so much. I have learnt so much from your articles and have become so good about taking my Omega 3 supplements every day and watching what I eat.

peace,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
kim kolp

i have her 2-neu postive and am under treatment now! I am taking complete efa dietary supplement, borage seed oil,flaxseed oil 400, fish oil 400mg. should i be taking it during treetment.
kim kolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
RhondaH

Smile Thanks RB...

you KNOW I've always been with ya

PS...Salmons on the dinner menu tonight

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
R.B.

Thanks RhondaH

I hope you enjoy the fish.

Kim Kolp

I am sorry I am not qualified to give individual recommendations, but if you look at your intake in terms of the amount of Omega 3 in oily fish I do not think you have anything to worry about. The best thing is ask you oncologist.

You may find this thread useful if you have not seen it.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet

Trials suggest Omega 3s have synergies with some sort of chemo but you will have to search to check. Try google Scholar or NCBI and then discuss with your advisor.

They also have been shown to improve outcomes it RT in mice.