HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
StephN

Wink !!! More interesting abstracts from Cancer conference - AACR

Hello again -
Maybe someone else has an easier way to view these abstracts, but I found the easiest way was to go to the AACR website and do the following:

To view the abstracts, go to http://www.abstractsonline.com/viewe...582CE7A0988%7D

and you can search by the number at the beginning of the study title. Just put the number in the search box and click “search.”

(The titles below will not connect to the abstract!) These are all by people I talked to and visited their poster. Wish I could impart how enthused they were about their findings and how they are carrying on from this point. At least you get the idea of how many directions the research is taking. You can search the AACR site by Session subjects as well.

VERY interesting study involving a hormone given to beef:
#2685 Zeranol (Z) increases aromatase mRNA expression in human normal breast pre-adipocytes (HNBPADs)

New drug from Genentech – an mTOR inhibitor, will begin phase 1 study:
#2707 Design and synthesis of dual PI3K/mTor inhibitors

A work with new antibody targets:
#1235 EPI0030, a humanized anti-VEGF rabbit monoclonal antibody, exhibits potent activity in preclinical models

Interesting investigation on bC brain metastases:
#4962 Breast cancer metastasis to the brain: effect of cyclophosphamide in a rat model

Novel targets and agents for imaging cancer:
89Zr-ranibizumab VEGF microPET imaging during sunitinib treatment visualizes changes with low tracer uptake in the center of the tumor and high uptake at the rim with a rebound tumor uptake after end of treatment.

Immune modulation and monitoring:

#5085 Maitake beta-glucan promotes neutrophil recovery from taxol induced chemotoxicity

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
chicagoetc

Question: A cancer survival organization associated with my hospital/clinic recommended I do genetic testing (BRCA1 and BRCA2). I was thinking this makes sense only in terms of potential threat of breast cancer for other family members (e.g. nieces). The following abstract seems to say more. Does that mean the testing would reflect risk for me as well?

Melanie (So much to learn!)

Here is the abstract:

Abstract Number:

Session Title:

Candidate Risk Genes: Melanoma, Hereditary Cancer Syndromes, and Rare and Childhood Cancers
Presentation Title:

BRCA2 mutation status affects long term breast cancer specific survival
Presentation Start/End Time:

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009, 8:00 AM -12:00 PM
Hall B-F, Poster Section 4
Poster Section:

Poster Board Number:

Author Block:

Tuomas Heikkinen, Kristiina Aittomäki, Carl Blomqvist, Heli Nevanlinna. Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Mutations in the two high penetrance breast cancer predisposing genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2 are estimated to cause approximately 15% of familial predisposition to breast cancer. BRCA1 mutations confer approximately 57% average risk of developing breast cancer and 40% risk of ovarian cancer by the age of 70 years, and BRCA2 mutations 49% risk of breast cancer and 18% risk for ovarian cancer. Carriers of inactivating germline mutations in these genes develop tumors of particular phenotypes, and their age of onset of the disease is also considerably lower than among other breast cancer patients. However, the prognostic effects of these mutations have been unclear. We investigated the long term survival among BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers by comparing their outcome to survival of other breast cancer patients (n=2178). We found a significantly worse 10 year breast cancer specific survival among BRCA2 mutation carriers in univariate Cox’s regression analyses (HR 2.34, 95% CI 1.50-3.66, p=0.002, n=68), but no such significant effect of BRCA1 mutation on prognosis (HR 1.67, 95% CI 0.99-2.82, p=0.0546, n=67). BRCA2 mutation associated strongly with negative HER2 status of the tumors and the effect of BRCA2 mutation on survival was even stronger among patients showing no HER2 over expression/amplification (HR 3.75, 95% CI 2.18-6.45, p<0.0001, n=38), a group that in general has a more favorable prognosis. Cumulative breast cancer specific survival rates at 10 years for sporadic, familial, BRCA1 carrier and BRCA2 carrier patients were 83.8%, 84.1%, 76.0% and 63.7% respectively, and when stratified by negative HER2 status 84.8%, 86.7%, 82.0% and 55.3% respectively. Carrying a BRCA2 mutation was also an independent prognostic marker in multivariate analyses along with conventional prognostic factors. The prognostic effect of BRCA2 mutation became noticeable mainly after five years of follow-up and our results suggest a more significant impact of BRCA2 mutation on long term breast cancer survival than previously found.
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote