HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
fauxgypsy

Aacr

I am back from Denver and it was a very interesting experience. There was so much information and so much of it at a very early stage that I am trying to determine how to present the info that I gathered. Rather than just post the titles/abstracts, I am going to try to synthesize some of it into a coherent whole. I will try to post it the first of the week after I have had time to digest and mull over some of it and make sure that I have some understanding of it. I will be back soon. Thanks so much to Joe and Christine for making this possible. By the way "Joe is much more handsome in person", and Christine is beautiful."

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Laurel

Leslie,

Thanks for all the effort on our behalf. I'm not surprised Joe is a looker and Christine his trophy wife!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
fauxgypsy

I am gathering my thoughts and info on the meeting. I am sorry that I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I have been dealing with health care issues all week. One of the issues that I saw over and over again in the posters and meetings had to do with energy imbalance. Postmenopausal breast cancer was one affected by this. I have linked a site that discusses this.

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/ben...4-issue1/page1

I came across this at the AACR several times. The consensus that I saw was that eating a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies (or green leafies as one researcher called it), exercise, and moderate sun exposure were more effective than supplements or other chemopreventive measures. I actually saw some research that suggested that some supplements could be harmful. I will post these when I get a chance.

Leslie
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Rich66

Green leafies? I think that's what they call it in Jamaica
But really...those cruciferous veggies have been noted as potent. I haven't heard much about spinach. Wait..isn't there someone on the board here with the signature "I yam what I yam"? Maybe they are benefitting from spinach.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
fauxgypsy

I think he was Australian. Either way, the take home message I got was

Eat more fruits and veggies
Exercise
Get some sun for Vit. D
Other than that, they don't know.

Actually, what they said was ... first do no harm.. they don't really understand the role of supplements.. some can upregulate some tumors at certain doses

I think that it was beta carotene that one spoke about in particular. I will look it up. One of the posters suggested thts Resveratrol in low doses had one effect, in high doses had another. All in all, what I got out of it all was that something such as beta carotene had one effect as a part of a diet but another as a supplement.

Last edited by fauxgypsy; 04-30-2009 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: I was up too late
Old 05-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
fauxgypsy

Not from the meeting but I found this interesting.
Breast Cancer Risk Factors Vary by Tumor Subtype

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Hematolo...stCancer/14342
Old 05-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Leslie, welcome back Tiger and great appreciation for the materials you gathered.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
fauxgypsy

Thank you, Marie. I am still trying to get some sort of health care coverage. I have been caught up with that and still dealing with the lymphedema but it is better now. We are working on a benefit for a local cancer support group and have a big garden. I have also been obsessed with health care reform lately. I will be here as often as I can. I hope things get better for you and your Big Oak. I am always amazed by your strength and energy.

Leslie