HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
dee

I totally get the notion of relating everything back through the breast cancer lens. My shingles came on the heels of some serious family stuff - involving the law, my adult child, my personal safety, my home, my past, present and future. Chemo, radiation and Herception after surgery weren't even a distant memory yet. When the symptoms came, marching across my remaining breast, I IMMEDIATELY sought medical advice - SO unlike me. However, I thought I was having a recurrence - noteworthy enough to seek such advice. Everyone ELSE said how lucky I was to be having ONLY shingles. I couldn't help but feel how unlucky NOW to have this, TOO. Shingles suck, especially when we already have been through so much (which is our major ticket to get them in the first place -loads of stress triggering an old latent strain of virus - chickenpox- to resurface in this new and obnoxious fashion. All I can say: What.Next?

4 year bc/her2neu survivor
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Audrey

(((Sherry))), I'm sorry you're going through all this, but happy that it appears you are not allergic to herceptin. I, too, developed shingles while on chemo--it started as a burning, stinging rash on my face of all places. My onc. recognized it as shingles early on and put me on Valtrex, which helped. The painful rash lasted a few weeks and then was gone, but during that time I just wanted to put a paper bag over my bald head with no eyebrows & an angry red rash and scream "Enough already! Why me?!" I know it's miserable now, but as they say "this too shall pass". Sending you a hug and wishes for a speedy recovery.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Karen Weixel

Sherry,

I had a bout with shingles last spring that showed up on my bc breast and back (same nerve path) and of course, my first thought was that I had skin mets. I had the really bad pain, where I couldn't even touch my skin it hurt so bad. Anyway, same as you, I was relieved to find out it was shingles.

You'll feel better soon. Ask your doc about Valtrex (sp?) that's what they usually put you on since it is viral, not bacterial. I had to do a 10 day course, but felt much better after the 2nd day.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote