HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Mary Jo

Effexor Question

It's been awhile since I needed to ask for some help or opinions but that is what I am seeking.

Since chemo started in 2005 I have been having HORRIBLE hot flashes. In the 7 years I have had barely a break in them and the severity this past year is as bad as when I was on chemo. Not fun. I keep telling myself it's better than having cancer again or going through chemo. And, it is. However, I get so many during a day AND night that it is physically and mentally draining. I've even started noticing more depression/anxiety that I'm sure is related to sleep deprivation and hormone imbalance.

My GYN recommeded a low dose Effexor 37.5 mg. (I am on the generic though). I took my first one today. I take NO prescription meds and it bothers me to take this one but what bothers me isn't taking it (cause I hope it helps) but it's what I've read about getting off of it that scares me. Seeing as I only took 1, it isn't too soon to stop cold turkey. I don't want to stop cause I want to feel better BUT I don't want to go through hell when I stop them. OHHHHHHH, I'm so confused. HELP!

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
karen z

Re: Effexor Question

I think if you are experiencing anxiety and depression you will fee better (may take awhile) if you get on something. One thing to remember is that there are a lot of "anti-depressant" drugs and just because one does not work (or a dose doesn't work) does not mean you should give up. I think most people would agree that these drugs do work better on depression than anxiety (and that talk therapy might also be a good component to add). You might also ask you doctor about giving you something you could take (e.g., clonazepam) at night to get some sleep or on "rough" days. Such additional pills often help with anxiety "break through". Good luck.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Thanks Karen......The reason I'm taking the Effexor is strictly for horrible hot flashes. I have noticed lately that anxiety/depression seems to be happening a bit more frequently, however, I do believe that it is a result of lack of sleep and soooooooooooo many hot flashes that they drain me. The anxiety/depression is not something I live with on a weekly basis....just a day here and there. Reading online all I've read about getting off Effexor tells me that I will not take pill number 2 tomorrow. I will say though, most things I've read are people taking more than 37.5 mgs but still, it scares me.

Thanks for responding Karen. I appreciate it.

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
caya

Mary Jo

I have been on Effexor XR 75 mg. (generic) for 5 years now - My onc. started me on it when I went on Tamoxifen as I was having major depression/anxiety issues as well as major hot flashes. I cannot begin to tell you how it basically changed my life- my hot flashes went from practically all day and night - nights were especially bad, we are talking dripping nighties and soaking sheets. My general mood and demeanor was much calmer - not a zombie, just a more level-headed, not sobbing, me.

I have read about the bad side effects of coming off this drug, but quite frankly, if you need it, why not try it and see if your hot flashes improve. 37.5 mg. is such a low dose - and if it works, great. If you decide to go off it eventually, it will have to be under your doc's supervision of course. I have talked to my GP about this, and since I just went off Femara a week ago, I am going to let my body "settle down" for a couple of months, and then I may try to go off Effexor. Or I may not.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
mmoons

Hi Mary Jo!

I am with Caya. I started on low dose (37.5) when I went into chemopause 2 years ago. My hot flashes went away immediately. It was amazing. I don't think I will ever go off. It has worked very well for me, personally, with no side effects. It evens out my stress and moods, too, so that is a great side effect (even though that is its main purpose for most perscribers).

Hugs,
Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Mary Jo

Thanks for your responses ladies. I have decided (after 1 pill) to stop taking Effexor. I don't like how it made me feel, although, I'm told it is normal to feel this way when you first start it. And, after reading all the stuff about getting off of it, it freaked me out. I am not a person who takes any meds (thank God I don't need them) so I should have known better than to ask for these I suppose. I would rather feel naturally crappy than a drug induced crappy. (if that makes sense) I'm happy it's worked out well for you ladies though and I suppose if I had given it time it would have worked for me too.

Thanks again,

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
tricia keegan

MaryJo, my onc gave me a script for this years ago but I did'nt fill it as my hot flashes were not so bad to be honest that I needed or wanted another drug.

However I quit smoking eight months ago and while I'm delighted to finally have done this despite my eating carefully and exercising I've still gained about nine pounds and have noticed my hot flashes increasing with the weight gain for the first time in seven years!!! I think there's a connection there obviously but wanted to say why not try the Effexor and when you want to come off it maybe cut down to a lower doseage rather than quit it suddenly which I've read is a bad idea and hope it helps you!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Mary Jo

Thanks Tricia.....I have decided to stop the Effexor. I am not a "pill" person at all and honestly can't believe I even called my GYN to go on the Effexor. I guess after not sleeping well for a few nights, because of so darn many hot flashes, got the best of me and I wanted them to stop. Even if the Effexor would have helped, eventually, I would have had to stop and then I'd have to go through the weaning of that. Not something I wanted to do. I will hope the flashes end or ease up soon.

Thanks for your post AND CONGRATS on quitting smoking. The BEST thing you could have done for yourself.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
tricia keegan

Thanks MaryJo and I think you made the right decision, I know hot flashes and interrupted sleep is no fun but neither is being addicted to something!!
Just a thought, have you tried a chillow?? my friend swears its wonderful and she's now sleeping far better, if you google it you'll get details on how to order if you're interested
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Mary Jo

Thanks Tricia...I will google it. It sounds awesome. I flip my pillow when a hot flash comes, but unfortunately it only has 2 sides. :-(

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Finding the comfort zone

Hello Mary Jo!

Was just wondering where you are. Didn't notic your posts, though I have been sporadic myself lately.

Effexor caught my eye. As I had an awful experience with it. I know some have had fab results. Not me. I was confused, shaky, weird feeling. So much so, I posted on the blog thing I found. I was with the group that wanted it to be removed from the market.

I had/have awful hot flashes, just as you describe. Horrid. Shaking hands is dreaded. Clammy. Cheek kissing or people touching my arm and (I think) recoiling. I love hugs and kisses!

So now I take Evening Primrose Oil. I take 1300. I add 500 mg if need be. Helps enormously. I am ER/PR-, and my onc said it was okay to use Progesterone Cream. 25 days on, 5 days off.
And I take Ativan at night, which is marvelous. Can't take that by day (though wish I could) cause it makes you drowsy. Good for sleeping, not for living...

Hope this is helpful. This was me all day. Now I am far more ...

Feel good! You deserve that! Sure hope this helps you.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Mary Jo

Thanks so much for chiming in Andi. I appreciate any and all advice I get. Hot flashes are HORRID, right?

I agree with you on the Effexor. After reading the MANY posts I found about women given this by their doctor for hot flashes and the ordeal it was to get off of it, I couldn't believe it. If one needs this for depression, well then I'd say that's different. But to offer a drug such as this to a woman who is having hot flashes makes no sense to me. To me is was like having one problem, possibly solving it and then creating a new one....an addiction. No thanks. I took one pill....felt weird (foggy-disconnected) and decided this was not for me. I'd rather have hot flashes than experience that.

The hot flashes will end eventually....I PRAY! At least in the severity, (again I PRAY).

Thanks for your information. I've heard about Primrose Oil but have not tried it. I will have too.

Thanks Andi....so happy to see you too (I am not here very often) and especially to "see" you doing well! Yippee Skippee!

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
tricia keegan

This is the U.K site Mary Jo but there's bound to be one in the U.S too! http://www.chillow.co.uk/2010/template/
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Sheila

I could be wrong but I thought Primrose was not recommended for those who are ER+...could be my chemobrain, but I am thinking I read it somewhere

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
LoisLane

Hi Sheila no you are as sharp as a tack as usual, I am sure I heard that as well about Primrose oil. I like your new picture! Did I spell tack correctly? Talk about chemobrain. Yesterday I kept walking around putting things down and then couldn't remember where I put them minutes before Yikes!
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
michka

Mary Jo. I love your posts but not that one. I did not know hot flashes could last for so long! You must be exhausted. For different reasons of course, my son took Effexor and was a mess. I really hope these hot flashes will fade away now.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
tricia keegan

Sheila you beat me to it and was about to post the same info!
2014 Normal Dexa scan
Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
v-ness

dear mary jo

i tried effexor too. actually, i am still on it and would like to go off, hate the head rushes when i forget to take it. it only worked on hot flashes for a short time, and not very well at that. same with the Chillow. however, i did my own intensive research 2 yrs ago when the hot flashes were driving me insane. i had countless flashes day and night and so intense. i found ditropan aka oxybutynin and asked my onco if i could take it. it is a med given to women who are having bladder issues. it has minimal side effects. the study i found showed that 70% of women had relief of some level from ditropan to hot flashes. these were cancer patients. the study is here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17204995

i have been on it for 2 yrs now and it made taking tamoxifen bearable. even if you are not a 'pill taking' person, you may want to give it a try. my oncologists had never heard of it, but ever since my success it is the #1 drug they turn to for relief for their breast cancer patients. see, oncos know cancer, they don't necessarily know this kind of stuff. it is not even that well known, and i don't know why. i just saw my onco on friday and he told me he was so glad he learned about it from me. (he also learned friday that arimidex can cause blurred vision, but that's another story). anyway, if you are having quality of life issues, as i was, with the hot flashes, this is something that could help. i am supposed to take it 3x daily, but i take it 2x daily. it can be drying, thus you have to drink a lot of water. if you look it up, you will see that it is FAR less troublesome than effexor.

i wish you and everyone else luck with coping with the hot flashes. they are horrible. valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
norkdo

Hi Mary Jo,
I could not have gotten through the "change" etc, and the treatment without Effexor. I agree re: tough getting off it. However, a friend of mine did go cold turkey and it took a month to get through the symptoms of getting off Effexor. One great side effect of Effexor (besides killing hot flashes) is that it seriously reduces the anxiety caused by cancer. I don't plan to get off it soon, so I am with your g.p.
Nora

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
caya

I would just like to chime in to remember that people who have done well with Effexor (for whatever reason) and have not had trouble going off it, generally would not report that on the net. As with most things, it is usually those who have had issues who complain/report.

Mary Jo, I respect your decision to not take Effexor, but I can tell you from personal experience that it changed my life.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote